uniqs
share rss forum feed

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

[iPhone] Changing behavior and hapiness with iPhone

So I am a power user who has been with Android since day one. WebOS before that and Palm before that.

I am an Android and iOS programmer and our shop uses both. My last phone was a powerhouse an EVO3D, dual core, gig of ram, running JB unlocked and rooted.

My phone could do anything in the world.

It was time for me to upgrade and I was contemplating going with the S3 or waiting for the S4.

Meanwhile we have been getting all the higher ups in the office iPhone 4s phones on VZ, and iPads with LTE.

I use a Nexus 7 tablet which I still maintain is by far the best UI/user experience out there. It is rooted, hacked, no ads, no paying for apps.

But I got the iPhone and have been happy, and I cant tell you why.

It does not do half the things the last phone did like free wifi tether, file management that is real, good multitasking and many other things.

I realized something though. After working with devices for years, and having my tablet I wanted a phone that just had good battery life, a good camera, and the few apps like Pandora, Running GPS, and few games would just work and I would not worry about killing my battery.

I tried one of the office 4s phones for a week and I was surprised to not have to charge it all day long. It did not die in an hour searching for service when I was skiing, and it took good pictures for work and play.

So I got the 5. It is not the best phone out there and it does not do half the things the S3 does.

I am happy not having to dick around with it and getting pictures, music for running, GPS, and email. I have some battery left every day and I am a heavy user.

I wish you could do more like work with any type of file and have a file manager, and I wish I was not stuck with iTunes (which I realize there are different programs for).

All I am saying is despite having more features in a million other phones, because I do all my hacking and work on a tablet these days, I went with an iPhone because I just dont mess with my phone as much and that is just me growing up, becoming more jaded and boring. I want a phone that works and leaves me with battery life. S3 phones here do well on battery but you turn off 90% of the services, I dont like that.

Both are great platform and great phones but as I get older, I found the iPhone better for my life. It just ticks along and I dont have to mess with ads and dont mind paying a bit for apps.

Android is well ahead in terms of an OS and I say that as an engineer, but iPhone has neater design and ticks like a Swiss watch, and that is all I want these days.

I guess I'm still not over having some batt life left after taking high quality pics and texting and skyping all day.

Aside from music PC (which has to run OSX) and is a hackingtosh, this is the first Apple device I owned since the original Ti Book back in college when I needed the Unix system for class and could not rely on running linux on labtop because the distros were still bad at supporting wireless.

well...I digress.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think you alluded to the main things in your post. I use a Galaxy S3 but I don't root. Everyone I know that has used an iPhone and iOS seems to get the hang of it quickly. Not to mention, because it is one ecosystem, if that person has all apple iOS devices, everything works without a hitch. Not to say things don't work under the same concept with Android, but I feel it takes a few more steps or requires more 3rd party apps to do it. I don't expect to go back to iOS and iPhone anytime soon but if Apple released a widescreen iPhone like the Galaxy S3 with a bump up in the speed and better camera, I would probably go back to an iPhone.
I'm not a power user so I think I am the minority Android user. I just want to use it for a phone and the apps I can get from the Play store and my email and browsing.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to chlen
my wife and i recently purchased our first smart phones, and we went with the iPhone5 as well...the looks and feel of the device were initial pluses, but like you, we just wanted something that worked and worked well...none of Apple's products are spec sheet warriors, but they just seem to do what you ask of them...Apple seems to design and create their products more from a customer experience point of view, rather than a technical capability point of view...that doesn't mean they aren't technically capable devices, just different...like you, we just wanted something we could make calls with, check email, text and browse the web (along with some apps)...we have been very happy with them.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to chlen
I love tinkering with my electronics, I used to Overclock my computer like crazy, always playing with settings trying to eek out every last bit of performance. The customization aspect of android is what drove me to get a Droid as my first "real" smartphone (I had a WM phone before that, but there was very little I could do with it). I loved it, but after 8 or so months, it had slowed down tremendously and the battery would last maybe half a day. I started putting different ROMs on it, which helped either battery or speed, but obviously not both. I found myself constantly having to upgrade the ROM, which became tiresome. After working and going to class, I just wanted a reliable phone that did what I needed in a phone (mostly light web browsing and music). I have no qualms with iTunes, I ripped the majority of my CDs years ago, and purchase from the store regularly. I went with a 4S at upgrade time, and it's the first time in ten years that I've had a phone for more than a year and am not itching to upgrade it. The battery still lasts all day unless I'm using GPS a lot without it being plugged in. It works great with my car stereo through an iPhone plug, which doubles as a charger (and is convenient for long road trips). I never had issues with apple maps giving me incorrect directions, but I do favor Google Maps and now that it's available on iOS again with Turn-by-Turn (that was one of the few things I missed when getting my 4S - I couldn't believe it didn't have turn-by-turn), I'm pleased as punch. It's a bonus that I can download a song on my phone and it'll be on my computer when I get home without having to plug my phone in and sync, and vice versa. My fiance has the Galaxy S3 and it's a hell of a phone that I would probably be happy with, but I've become so used to the simple features like iTunes syncing (and airplay over apple TV) that I would have a hard time going back to android. Sometimes (like in my case, as I'm about to enter PY1 and have even less free time) you just want something to work, and do what it does well.

That having been said, I will still compare all competition (Windows, ...probably not BB, and Android) when I'm up for renewal in a few months. It's nice to say that I'm not counting down the days like I have every other time though, and that means a lot from my customer satisfaction aspect. I'm in the market for a new laptop before the end of summer, and as happy as I am that I'm still using a 7 year old MB as my laptop (with a powerful Win7 Desktop at home), I'll compare all competition and see what makes the most sense. But If I can get through PY4 without having to buy another laptop, like the one I'm using now, the extra $500 or so now is completely worth it. I'm not brand loyal by any means, but this laptop outlasted my Windows laptop to the point where I reformatted that, sold it, and came back to this one.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to chlen
I've been very happy with iPhone...because it's consistent. It may not have some of the bells and whistles that many current Android devices have, but an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone. Pick up several different Android devices at random and there will be differences...sometimes significant ones...between them. I don't jailbreak/root. No need for that. So I'll stick with the Apple device until I see a clear reason not to for my own particular needs to be served. (I feel the same way about my iPad)

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to obeythelaw
See for me it was the lack of the nearly 5" screen that made it appealing.

I have a 7" tablet and dont want a large phone. The S4 is rumored at 5".

I program, hack, and abuse my tablet, dont have any desire anymore to do that to my phone.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to chlen
I just posted this in another thread, but feel it works here as well:
I understand the whole Android argument, they do have some exciting hardware and software features that I can appreciate, but I also see a format that has so many different developers, carriers, & manufactures just "doing their own thing" that the end result is a lot of shitty apps, shitty phones (Not every Android is a Galaxy S3) , and full of the same old shitty carrier bloatware that we've seen for years. When I see a iPhone I know for the most part it's a bad ass piece of hardware with about every app known to mankind (pre-screened for compatibility), and never contained bloatware of any kind since the day it was turned on.
I as well feel IOS is a little long in the tooth, but at the same time I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either, and I can appreciate the comfort of familiarity & refinement.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...