share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

3 edits
reply to TOPDAWG

Re: Student loans why don't some people pay them back?

I paid off my loans pretty quick. I owed $27k when I graduated in 2004. I couldn't find work where I lived and toughed it out for 1.5 years. I was paying the bills with a near min. wage job. This was low enough to quality for interest relief (IE they suspend your payments and your interest).

By July 2006 I have gave up and moved. I started out around $40k/year. Interest relief ran out in December '06. I dumped a final lump sum on the Student Loan in August of 2009 (my salary had probably increased from the original $40k to $60kish by then). I kept dumping money on it, and bonuses..... I hammered it down.

That period of time before I moved completely freaked me out. It was a lot of money to me and I had no idea how to pay it back. It's easier once you have a job, and its pretty sweet when you get the completed payment letters (I left them on the fridge for a few years).

As for free University. I disagree with it. It seems to me that more and more people are going to University. It's becoming the new grade 12. No one really gives a crap if you did grade 12. If everyone has University degree how does one separate themselves from everyone else? Then all of a sudden everyone needs to do a masters so they have a leg up. Not to mention a lot of people graduate with degrees that aren't too useful.

If particular sectors in Canada need people I can understand subsidizing certain programs to attract students and create workers. I'm pretty much against free post secondary though. Europe is a really bad example. How much debt did those countries rack up with all their extra social programs?

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to TOPDAWG

When I graduated in '75 after 7 years of university I owed $10K in student loans. It took me 10 years to pay off and I never missed a payment. When I made my last payment by mail I asked them (Bank of NS) if they would send me copies of all the schedules I had filled out. A schedule was a document with address and proof of enrollment, etc. and had to be submitted every six months. I never thought they would respond but they did. I looked through all the schedules and then took them out to the backyard burn barrel, set them on fire and cracked a beer. I was very happy!

-Bob

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 edit
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

If particular sectors in Canada need people I can understand subsidizing certain programs to attract students and create workers. I'm pretty much against free post secondary though. Europe is a really bad example. How much debt did those countries rack up with all their extra social programs?

i don't think you could "pick and choose" which courses are paid for, but i do agree there would still be requirements needed...for example, you would still need solid grades to go to University, to weed out the filler...if a student has good grades, and decides they want some Liberal Arts program, that's fine, but don't come crying when you spent all that time and still work at Tim Hortons...ideally, people with real drive an ambition will likely apply themselves to be able to continue their education beyond post secondary school, and the reward for their hard work is continued education...if you skip class, and don't give a shit, then no post secondary schooling for you...go work at the gas station.

[Deleted]
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 edit

said by dirtyjeffer:

i don't think you could "pick and choose" which courses are paid for, but i do agree there would still be requirements needed...for example, you would still need solid grades to go to University, to weed out the filler...

I witnessed two succinct groups in university when I went. Those who paid their way and were serious about learning ,or a career at least, and those who were on a free ride. The free ride were those on their parent's gravy train [deleted]

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

i don't doubt you at all...however, as has been mentioned, University used to be about "getting accepted" (meaning, having good grades and working hard)...now, it seems as long as you write the cheque, you're in...having worked on campus at my days at Bell, i was amazed at the degrading education level of "university kids", who at my time were among the smartest in the class...times have changed.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

The free ride were those on their parent's gravy train [deleted]

My wife called those the Christmas Graduators. They'd leave for Christmas Break and never return.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 edit

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

The free ride were those on their parent's gravy train[deleted]

My wife called those the Christmas Graduators. They'd leave for Christmas Break and never return.

Yours wife was wrong. They were the turkey posse. They would leave at mid term thanksgiving break.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

i don't doubt you at all...however, as has been mentioned, University used to be about "getting accepted" (meaning, having good grades and working hard)...

As I graduated as a tech major with grade 12 I had to go back to high school in my early 20's to get grade 13. It was a stifling environment of sexual frustration as the grade 12s were now off limits.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro

Meh, maybe those who could just barely walk and talk to go to Brock fell off at Thanksgiving, but those who walked a little faster and went to McMaster dropped off at Christmas.

(hahaha, I just wanted to say that)

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by Gone:

(hahaha, I just wanted to say that)

Do you feel better now or are you jealous you didn't attend any university?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

and a population who doesn't want to pay any taxes.

Sounds like many people here.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro

Considering that I was severely ill as a teenager and adult in my early 20s and in and out of the hospital and never had the opportunity to go to university like many others did, I think I did okay.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by dirtyjeffer:

and a population who doesn't want to pay any taxes.

Sounds like many people here.

It's an issue with value for your money I'd say, I've been to Europe a couple of times and I'd argue they get value for their money, at least on some level. The predominant belief in Canada is that we're not getting much for our tax dollar. (which is of course another discussion altogether )
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

I think I did okay.

I'm biting my tongue. It hurts.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to El Quintron

i should have worded my statement differently...i said "doesn't want to pay taxes"...i should have said "doesn't pay taxes".

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I'm biting my tongue. It hurts.

It's okay. I love you too, peterboro

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

Quick edit before your wife sees that and the closet becomes empty.

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04
reply to TOPDAWG

The difference between Nordic and Mediterranean countries is a cultural one. And that is not racism, it's reality.

nonBell

@steadfastdns.net
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by A Lurker:

I went back to school a few years ago (done now) and was amazed at how many students admitted they got an excess of OSAP money.

They are better off using the grant portion and living more economically and having someone invest the loan portion in a CD and pay off a portion of the debt when they graduate.

I did half of that while attending CEGEP/university - used the bursary section and don't even take out the loan portion and lived very economically (and worked 1 to 2 jobs on campus). The first two years I took out the loan and they were paid off within the first year after graduation.

If I knew more about investing back then, I would have taken the loan (interest free until graduation) and buy some blue chip stock.

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44
reply to dirtyjeffer

(topic move) Student loans why don't some people pay them back?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 8 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Student loans why don't some people pay them back?

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TOPDAWG

Re: Student loans why don't some people pay them back?

Laurier tried to do the accept more people and then larger population will be educated.

They dropped requirements to get into university in Fall 2010.

It was nearly a 1:1 ratio of the new 2,000 students let in and 2,000 more students that didn't achieve the grades to make it to second year.

My friend is doing his PhD at Laurier and teaches a first year english course. The class following the first term paper submission he had to go over verb=action word. It was sad.

A person wrote a paper on Muhammad and referred to him as Mo, like he fuckin knew the guy.

High school in Ontario is a joke.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by BryceS:

High school in Ontario is a joke.

i said this a long time ago...they don't fail kids any more (as long as they show up for school) and just keep pushing them through the system...it is why when McGuinty always touted the "high graduate rate", i always said it was a farce...it's only high because they just give them a pass...i remember in elementary school, kids failed some of the lower grades (Grades 1-3).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell