Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

said by geokilla:

Question: Usage cannot be tracked by Rogers right? So technically, it is still unlimited usage. Or does APOI give Rogers the ability to track how much usage you're using?

No, it's definitely not unlimited. We do track usage and people that are greatly abusing their quota get a call. Once the automated correlation piece is done (waiting on Rogers to finish a piece) then we'll be able to post it on the usage tracker much more easily. Most people have been respectful of their limits and we haven't had to make too many calls or throttle them down.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

said by rocca:

said by geokilla:

Question: Usage cannot be tracked by Rogers right? So technically, it is still unlimited usage. Or does APOI give Rogers the ability to track how much usage you're using?

No, it's definitely not unlimited. We do track usage and people that are greatly abusing their quota get a call. Once the automated correlation piece is done (waiting on Rogers to finish a piece) then we'll be able to post it on the usage tracker much more easily. Most people have been respectful of their limits and we haven't had to make too many calls or throttle them down.

Oh really? Because last I heard and read, there is still no usage tracking for cable IISP customers... When did this change? Or does this only apply to Start and not Teksavvy? The usage tracking that is.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah still think that is true. While I know that it may change soon or never it's not cool to sign up for a 200GB cap then use a TB in a month just cause you can. No way Start wants to state the date the tracking will be live.

They may can track you like they said and call you but it may not be ready where they can force you to pay for overages.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Oh really? Because last I heard and read, there is still no usage tracking for cable IISP customers... When did this change?

We've been tracking since end of November.
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Oh really? Because last I heard and read, there is still no usage tracking for cable IISP customers... When did this change? Or does this only apply to Start and not Teksavvy? The usage tracking that is.

This seems pretty obvious. With APOI implementation, all traffic goes through Rogers/Cogeco's systems now before handing off to the TPIA's link.. with that rogers and cogeco can now use their same tracking system they use for their own users for the TPIA's.

Tek's Roger's implementation can't do this yet as they're not on APOI yet, so it's basically not tracked and you're under an honour system to stay under your cap if you don't have the unlimited plan.

geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

yeah still think that is true. While I know that it may change soon or never it's not cool to sign up for a 200GB cap then use a TB in a month just cause you can. No way Start wants to state the date the tracking will be live.

They may can track you like they said and call you but it may not be ready where they can force you to pay for overages.

Lol I won't be like that, don't worry. It's just that I normally use around 100GB/month, but sometimes I download anime series and what not, and those series itself would push me up to 150GB or more. Never have I hit 200GB...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

While we aren't charging overages at this time due to the lack of the automation component (which is coming soon), it doesn't mean it's open for abuse in the mean-time. That's really my point, ie don't signup expecting unlimited because it won't happen. We have reports that point out the hot spots and we deal with incidents as needed. For people that want to treat it as unlimited, then we have an unlimited option at 6Mbps.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
yeah sucks paying rogers 87 for 10/2 is killing me makes me want to cry but nothing else I can get in my area. The min Start has a higher speed cable uncapped serve I'm switching.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

I can't help going back to the question of off-peak usage. The cost of off peak usage is basically zero, and reflecting that back to customers would be huge.

Of course Rogers tool would have to be compatible with that type of usage tracking too..
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

I can't help going back to the question of off-peak usage. The cost of off peak usage is basically zero, and reflecting that back to customers would be huge.

Rocca has said a few times that is factored in already. If they were to do "free off-peak", the caps for the metered periods would be lower than the current caps.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Doing so at the same price would mean reducing the on-peak total though because there is an implication that some of the usage will be used off-peak. The marketing/explanation to the average consumer is pretty confusing, ie 100GB on-peak, unlimited off-peak vs 250GB is much easier to visualize the later. We're hoping that the final capacity rates make it moot and we can have an unlimited package and make it simple, if that doesn't come along soon then we'll likely figure out some sort of off-peak option you can add to your account.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Thanks rocca! I was hesitant, because I know you've covered it before. But, I feel strongly about it.

From my perspective it isn't that hard to explain to customers. Everybody understands rushhour. As with the politically difficult on-peak off-peak electrical billing, everybody should be confronted with the true cost of what they are doing.

Try explaining that you really do want a D3 modem for Standard because you'll get a speed upgrade in two weeks if you ask for it, but not on Teksavvy for two more months after that, and only if the CRTC decides Teksavvy (or Acanac who is really Distributel) should get it. but all of that only until November because then everybody is on the same system regardless. Which I do for every most customers looking at Standard/Express, which is pretty much everybody. ARGH!!!
jagerman
join:2011-01-10
Fredericton, NB

jagerman to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

The marketing/explanation to the average consumer is pretty confusing, ie 100GB on-peak, unlimited off-peak vs 250GB is much easier to visualize the later. We're hoping that the final capacity rates make it moot and we can have an unlimited package and make it simple, if that doesn't come along soon then we'll likely figure out some sort of off-peak option you can add to your account.

I get the confusion, but couldn't you hide that under a sort of "advanced" plan for people who aren't confused by it? I rather like the ability of more finely tuned plans. You could, for instance, offer something like this for Cogeco-land (numbers vaguely based off the new pricing scheme in the original post):

1) Choose a standard package:
4/.6 w/ 100GB $29.95
20/1.5 w/ 150GB $39.95
30/2 w/ 250GB $49.95
55/2 w/ 350GB $79.95

2) Or build a custom package:
a) Choose your speed:
4/.6 [starting at $25.95]
20/1.5 [starting at $32.95]
30/2 [starting at $39.95]
55/2 [starting at $54.95]

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

c) Choose your extras:
Unlimited off-peak use (12pm-8am) [+$10]

I just sort of guessed at numbers to make the "custom" plans add up to the standard plans; obviously you'd need to figure out the appropriate price points.

Just a thought.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

jagerman, I totally agree with you about the general principal, but...
said by jagerman:

b) Choose your monthly traffic:
50GB [included]
100GB [+$4]
150GB [+$7]
250GB [+$10]
350GB [+$15]
Unlimited [+$14, only available with 4/.6 plan]

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic
jagerman
join:2011-01-10
Fredericton, NB

jagerman

said by Teddy Boom:

The costs of on-peak usage are much much higher than you are allowing for. If we are going to win this point, we have to be realistic

My main point was to propose a menu for different dimensions of use, not to suggest prices. I will point out, however, that I was careful to make all of those above prices agree with the new Cogeco plans.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to jagerman

Premium Member

to jagerman
It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by rocca:

It's likely that 'option c' will be the approach we take, it's easy to explain still and gives people the ability to accomplish the unlimited off peak that they are looking for.

I do like Option "C"