uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Prospect of slower iPhone sales punishing Apple's stock

Apple stock getting clobbered over the slower iPhone sales rumors.
»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57564···1_3-0-20

Apple's share price today slipped below the $500 mark to a low of $488.27. Since then, Apple's shares have been rebounding a bit and are now down 2 percent to $491.65.

On Sunday, The Wall Street Journal cited sources who said that Apple had cut component orders for its iPhone 5 due to slumping demand for the handset. That bad news pushed Apple's shares lower yesterday as investors became concerned with the company's ability to compete as effectively in the mobile market.

Apple's stock has been hit with a downward trend over the last several months. In the last three months, Apple's shares are down 22 percent. The company's stock is also far off its 52-week high of $705.07. Apple's 52-week low is $419.55 -- not too distant from its current price.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Damn you..beat me to it.

Cook is saying: "Don't bet against us yet..."

Everything comes and go. People are loyal to nothing.

Will be interesting to see if BB10 can pick up the pieces.

That said, Apple is still a very strong products with their computers and iPads and iPods and Apple TV and stuff. Not to mention iTunes and the App Store...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by J E F F:

That said, Apple is still a very strong products with their computers and iPads and iPods and Apple TV and stuff. Not to mention iTunes and the App Store...

Stock price has only secondary connection to the products and their value. Stock prices are more about PREDICTED profit levels over the next 3 months.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

stock prices can swing if somebody farts in the elevator.

Apple might be seeing declining sales but they are not weakening. They still have a strong and loyal customer base, Which is worth a lot more than constantly high iPhone5 sales.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to FFH

A. The number originally quoted in the article before it was later removed was a halving from 65 million to 35 million. No one in their right mind ever expected apple to sell 65 million iPhones in a single quarter. Cook's history at supply chain management makes it unlikely apple would screw up that badly. 35 million is still a huge rate.

B. Apple cannot respond to the report because of the earnings report about to be issued. This is due to SEC 'quiet period' rules.

It's so obvious that this is simple stock manipulation, and either the WSJ was dumb enough to fall for it or part of the scam. Hypothesis: the upcoming earnings report is going to be gangbusters and someone wants to drop the stock so they can buy now and sell just after the report is released, making a quick profit.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

...They still have a strong and loyal customer base,...

So did Kodak, Polaroid, Xerox, Palm and Sony

Nothing lasts forever

(p.s. I love the stock and the company...not trolling)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Those companies all refused to innovate after their initial successes and became second runs. Apple is still the first run in all of their businesses.

haroldo

united state

said by skeechan:

Those companies all refused to innovate after their initial successes and became second runs. Apple is still the first run in all of their businesses.

True, but for the most part, Apple is refusing to compete on the low end of the market, leaving customers aplenty for the competition.
Will that be their undoing? (who knows??)

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FFH

I do not think that will be their undoing.

BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura also cater to the high end and they are not having any problems in a world of Chevys, Fords, Hondas, etc.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

haroldo

united state

4 edits

Acura is Honda; Cadillac and Chevy are both GM (which went through a bankruptcy reorganization a few years ago)

and Lexus probably wouldn't be as successful on its own with out parent Toyota (seller of millions of low end cars)

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to FFH

Call option writers have an enormous incentive to keep the stock price low: »seekingalpha.com/article/1002601···nuary-18

With earnings coming out soon after and apple guiding higher than they've ever reported, well...
--
-Ryan

haroldo

united state

It's a stretch to say that a group (or two) of investors can manipulate the value of a stock that trades 30-50 million shares a day and has a market capitalization of half a billion or more (one that is owned by thousands of funds, etc.).

Manipulation is rampant in smaller companies, but I'd bet against a group having power over the price (irrespective of any author's assertion).

Aint happenin'

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to haroldo

Depends on how you define successful. Lexus on its own would have higher margins than the rest of the Toyota line while revenues are lower but that is the nature of the automobile business.

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

It's a stretch to say that a group (or two) of investors can manipulate the value of a stock that trades 30-50 million shares a day and has a market capitalization of half a billion or more (one that is owned by thousands of funds, etc.).

Manipulation is rampant in smaller companies, but I'd bet against a group having power over the price (irrespective of any author's assertion).

Aint happenin'

Shenanigans happen frequently with AAPL near options expiration dates. I'm not alleging some kind of grand conspiracy, but it doesn't take much to move the stock one direction or the other, either.
--
-Ryan

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

stock prices can swing if somebody farts in the elevator.

Apple might be seeing declining sales but they are not weakening. They still have a strong and loyal customer base, Which is worth a lot more than constantly high iPhone5 sales.

not only that, iTunes/AppStore is such a cash machine, it could likely keep Apple afloat for generations alone...sure, don't sit back and get complacent, but don't underestimate the mint those two revenue generators are and will continue to be.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

That's why Apple needs a real refresher of iOS look & feel... if you look at the eye candy androids offer, a lot of people are drawn to that and the iOS is plain as originally was...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by HiVolt:

That's why Apple needs a real refresher of iOS look & feel... if you look at the eye candy androids offer, a lot of people are drawn to that and the iOS is plain as originally was...

I dunno, I see the eye candy like live tiles on the Android phones and the battery issues that people have with their phones that is related to that eye candy and go "No thanks, don't need anything else that makes the battery life on my phone a game of Russian Roulette"

Besides, a simple interface that works is a godsend for doing troubleshooting for people's phones. I get handed an Android phone every so often by people looking for help, even though I'm an iPhone guy because they know I'm a tech geek.

I can usually figure out what the issue is on the Android phone but the way everything is non standard across different brands (hell, even within the same phone "family" there can be differences) drives me mad.

NefCanuck

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

said by skeechan:

True, but for the most part, Apple is refusing to compete on the low end of the market, leaving customers aplenty for the competition.
Will that be their undoing? (who knows??)

I thought this as well and still due to some extent. However, I have noticed that the release of the iPhone 5 has seemed to have resulted in the market being flooded with lower priced iPhones. Now people can buy an iPhone 4 or 4S for fairly low prices and these are still desirable to many.

So in a very real way Apple is competing in the lower-end of the spectrum and these slightly older discarded devices are generating competition with Android devices. Apple is also competing with themselves in this respect.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

I think this news is the reason why Apple really should focus on their operating OS X. Mountain Lion is a great OS but Apple's desire to tweak it to match or emulate iOS features, look or design has been an issue for me. If Apple's next OS becomes a touch screen which is what the junk Windows 8 is, that will really be the turn off for me. Granted Mac OS and Windows are the two main players so either way you will have to live with what they decide to do and at some point you will have to upgrade. But, I think Apple should get back to its roots with its OS and its great hardware so when the whole mobile OS world gets too congested they can hang their hat on their OS desktop and laptops.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to NefCanuck

said by NefCanuck:

said by HiVolt:

I dunno, I see the eye candy like live tiles on the Android phones and the battery issues that people have with their phones that is related to that eye candy and go "No thanks, don't need anything else that makes the battery life on my phone a game of Russian Roulette"

Besides, a simple interface that works is a godsend for doing troubleshooting for people's phones. I get handed an Android phone every so often by people looking for help, even though I'm an iPhone guy because they know I'm a tech geek.

I can usually figure out what the issue is on the Android phone but the way everything is non standard across different brands (hell, even within the same phone "family" there can be differences) drives me mad.

NefCanuck

I agree with you, but Apple can still make it work better than android with regard to eye candy and allowing some more customization, since they only have to make it work on a handful of devices, which they design, build & control.

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.
--

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Apple stock getting clobbered over the slower iPhone sales rumors.
»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57564···1_3-0-20

Apple's share price today slipped below the $500 mark to a low of $488.27. Since then, Apple's shares have been rebounding a bit and are now down 2 percent to $491.65.

On Sunday, The Wall Street Journal cited sources who said that Apple had cut component orders for its iPhone 5 due to slumping demand for the handset. That bad news pushed Apple's shares lower yesterday as investors became concerned with the company's ability to compete as effectively in the mobile market.

Apple's stock has been hit with a downward trend over the last several months. In the last three months, Apple's shares are down 22 percent. The company's stock is also far off its 52-week high of $705.07. Apple's 52-week low is $419.55 -- not too distant from its current price.

Sold all 1400 shares on $701 trailing stop last fall.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by Majestik:

dude, that's just shy of $1 million.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

Or $650K after taxes
Still, not bad.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?

But if Apple is not going to bother making an option like that, why can't a legit 3rd party addon do it? Apple can still approve the addon on the app store to make sure it only does what it says it does...

They dont allow absolutely any hardware control beyond their own API's, and apps can't interact with any buttons or sensors if the app isnt running.

Stuff like this is keeping people off iOS and with Android... Cuz you can do almost anything you want to it.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

said by ptrowski:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Nezmo:

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol

Well, this may not work in the long run, that's all... It worked when the Androids were pretty basic themselves, but now they are not.
--

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

Or $650K after taxes
Still, not bad.

It's in my Roth IRA. It's was the Roth I was day trading with back then. Less paperwork when day trading in a Roth IRA.

Transferred it to my Schwab Roth IRA two months ago.
All tax free.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to FFH

fickle investors, jump on for a ride to the top and flee the moment it rains.