World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: Prospect of slower iPhone sales punishing Apple's stock

said by FFH:

Apple stock getting clobbered over the slower iPhone sales rumors.
»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57564···1_3-0-20

Apple's share price today slipped below the $500 mark to a low of $488.27. Since then, Apple's shares have been rebounding a bit and are now down 2 percent to $491.65.

On Sunday, The Wall Street Journal cited sources who said that Apple had cut component orders for its iPhone 5 due to slumping demand for the handset. That bad news pushed Apple's shares lower yesterday as investors became concerned with the company's ability to compete as effectively in the mobile market.

Apple's stock has been hit with a downward trend over the last several months. In the last three months, Apple's shares are down 22 percent. The company's stock is also far off its 52-week high of $705.07. Apple's 52-week low is $419.55 -- not too distant from its current price.

Sold all 1400 shares on $701 trailing stop last fall.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by Majestik:

dude, that's just shy of $1 million.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

Or $650K after taxes
Still, not bad.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?

But if Apple is not going to bother making an option like that, why can't a legit 3rd party addon do it? Apple can still approve the addon on the app store to make sure it only does what it says it does...

They dont allow absolutely any hardware control beyond their own API's, and apps can't interact with any buttons or sensors if the app isnt running.

Stuff like this is keeping people off iOS and with Android... Cuz you can do almost anything you want to it.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by ptrowski:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Nezmo:

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol

Well, this may not work in the long run, that's all... It worked when the Androids were pretty basic themselves, but now they are not.
--

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

Or $650K after taxes
Still, not bad.

It's in my Roth IRA. It's was the Roth I was day trading with back then. Less paperwork when day trading in a Roth IRA.

Transferred it to my Schwab Roth IRA two months ago.
All tax free.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to FFH

fickle investors, jump on for a ride to the top and flee the moment it rains.

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO
reply to FFH

I told you... $400 or bust.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Daemon

said by Daemon:

said by haroldo:

It's a stretch to say that a group (or two) of investors can manipulate the value of a stock that trades 30-50 million shares a day and has a market capitalization of half a billion or more (one that is owned by thousands of funds, etc.).

Manipulation is rampant in smaller companies, but I'd bet against a group having power over the price (irrespective of any author's assertion).

Aint happenin'

Shenanigans happen frequently with AAPL near options expiration dates. I'm not alleging some kind of grand conspiracy, but it doesn't take much to move the stock one direction or the other, either.

Note the very close to $500 close? That happens to be the exact price where options sellers make the most money and buyers feel the most pain. Options expire today. Still think the price isn't being manipulated?
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

There's a world of difference between the option expiration trading (and the proximity of the closing price to the various strike prices) and the assertion that I rebutted (that being that manipulation was responsible for the large decline in the recent price over a lengthy period of time...weeks or months).

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA

1 edit

Upon reflection I do not wish to post, take me back!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to haroldo

The low end of the market is not exactly profitable. Look at the profit share (not market share) of the companies that make the low end phones - quite a few of them are actually losing money on it. Appleinsider and MacRumors publish the numbers all the time and it's amazing how well Apple does selling only like 18-30% of the smartphones sold in any one year.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to JohnInSJ

You don't know the cost basis on those either - but yes a huge chunk of money!

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

After I sold I purchased oil/gas stocks(30%),home builder stocks(10%),mixed of 20%,and 40 percent cash.
My Roth account crossed one million sometime at the beginning of last month because of dividends,growth,and interest.
I'm going to wait until I'm 60 and make annual tax free withdrawals if needed and supplement retirement medical.
I have no mortgage or consumer debt.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by Majestik:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Majestik:

After I sold I purchased oil/gas stocks(30%),home builder stocks(10%),mixed of 20%,and 40 percent cash.
My Roth account crossed one million sometime at the beginning of last month because of dividends,growth,and interest.
I'm going to wait until I'm 60 and make annual tax free withdrawals if needed and supplement retirement medical.
I have no mortgage or consumer debt.

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to FFH

Actually a lot of it has to do with options
»seekingalpha.com/article/1002601···nuary-18

That article breaks it down well.

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO

Speaking of options, the stock closed at exactly $500.00, on expiry day, voiding the majority of both puts AND calls. The muppets got slaughtered.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to FFH

my wife had to get a smart phone for work. Her employer stopped supplying them, so she had to get one.
She went with Verizon, and she jumped on the Iphone 4, even though the 5 was out.
Why?
Iphone4 is free with the contract.
Iphone5 would have added two hundred extra bucks to the over all contract, thus driving up the monthly payments.

And that is one reason why I think Iphone5 sales are down, having to compete with previous models that are cheaper So what if the Iphone5 has better hardware/gizmos, for many it's about price.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

i could have got a free iPhone4 as well...instead, i paid the $180 for the iPhone5 simply because it will be 2-3 years (at least) until i replace it, so factoring in the monthly cost of the services, $180 is minimal to have something as state of the art as possible to ensure my satisfaction for several years.

haroldo

united state
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

And that is one reason why I think Iphone5 sales are down, having to compete with previous models that are cheaper So what if the Iphone5 has better hardware/gizmos, for many it's about price...

Every company offers their products at varying price points...it's smart business. They're not losing out, since many of the people buying the 4 are doing so, mainly because the 4S and the 5 might not be in their budget. As such, either Apple lose the customer to another brand or they make a little bit less.
It's Marketing 101.
It's the same as Coke selling their soda in 64 ounce bottles far more cheaply than when they put it in a 12 ounce can, or when airlines charge a different amount for every seat on the plane.
Let each consumer pay as much as they want for the same basic product.
It's a brilliant move at it maximizes revenue to the seller

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to FFH

Pansies. I bought more on this minor correction. Who knows when it's going to be this low again.

Dollar-cost investing FTW.
--
neuronbob.com

haroldo

united state

said by neuronbob:

... this minor correction...

Uh..., an almost 30% decline is anything but a minor correction. The 1987 stock market crash »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_(1987) was 22% (albeit in one day)

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Majestik

said by Majestik:

It's in my Roth IRA. It's was the Roth I was day trading with back then. Less paperwork when day trading in a Roth IRA.

Transferred it to my Schwab Roth IRA two months ago.
All tax free.

Nice
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to neuronbob

said by neuronbob:

Who knows when it's going to be this low again.

Tonight? Down 10% after hours to $462.64
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Badonkadonk:

said by neuronbob:

Buy!
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Badonkadonk:

said by neuronbob:

Buy!

A column on what needs fixing at Apple:
»finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout···336.html
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by FFH:

A column on what needs fixing at Apple:
»finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout···336.html

Well, I agree with the innovation part... Apple hasn't made anything spectacular since the iPad, and that's coming close to 3 years.

They need a NEW product. Making a "mini" of anything doesn't count. They keep focusing their resources on making the iMac thinner, when it doesn't need to be.
--