Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Chinabound

Re: Before I Rip This MF'ing Wire Out

You must have some killer rodents to chew all the way through the cord like that.

I have one heavy duty outdoor extension cord that was attacked by animals. Close inspection of the cord found that for almost the entire unwound length of the cord there were thousands of fine punctures in the insulation (looked more like needle punctures then bite marks). I don't know what animal did that (squirrels and feral cats are common in my backyard) but whoever did it was very thorough. There are about 100 punctures in a one inch length of the cord and it seemed that this rate was the same for about 20 feet of it (most of the cord that was wound into a coil had been left alone). From a distance the cord looks fine, only up close you can see that the insulation has become very porous.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by leibold:

... Close inspection of the cord found that for almost the entire unwound length of the cord there were thousands of fine punctures in the insulation (looked more like needle punctures then bite marks). ... that the insulation has become very porous.

I've seen lightning do that to wiring - no massive charring or melting, just lots of tiny porous holes in the insulation.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.