Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb

Re: Shaw sells Mountain Cablevision to Rogers

Be interesting to see if the CRTC and the Competition bureau rubber stamp this.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

For competition purposes I don't think it's that big of a deal. The far bigger story is that Rogers finally ended up with something they desperately wanted for a very long time.

I have to wonder just what Shaw got in return for this, because the whole Mountain Cable situation was a very sour point in their otherwise cozy relationship.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

On the cable thing probably not as its a small footprint but on the AWS...Rogers already owns 23% of all the AWS spectrum and I dont believe they even use it.Combined Rogers,Bell and Telus have 55%.Shaw owns 7% and still I dont think any of that 62% is actually used

Percentages are available here
»www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sm ··· tml#s4.1
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

For competition purposes I don't think it's that big of a deal. The far bigger story is that Rogers finally ended up with something they desperately wanted for a very long time.

From a competitive standpoint, the acquisition of Shaw's hamilton assets doesn't make the landscape there any more or less competitive. Whether the deal goes through or not, there will be three providers in the Hamilton region, and each provider has their own geographical monopoly anyways.

The real competition issue comes from the spectrum. AWS spectrum was set aside specifically for new entrants who need the spectrum more desperately than Rogers/Bell/Telus.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah I could see AWS being an issue. Then again, Bell and Rogers already own a near 50/50 split of BRS spectrum across the entire country.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Is that not unused now also?If so like over 30% or more of unused spectrum among the big 3
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Wait, hold up. Wasn't one of the rules in the 2009ish spectrum auction that Robellus wasn't supposed allowed to buy spectrum because they wouldn't use it?

... Whatever.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
No, Bell and Rogers both have BWS deployments. Rogers is even selling phones now that use BWS rather than AWS for LTE.

BWS - 2500-2690MHz - is what the Europeans will be using for LTE, in case anyone cares. I believe we're the only country that's going to be using both 700MHz and BWS for LTE. The Americans aren't doing BWS and the Europeans aren't doing 700MHz.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

Wait, hold up. Wasn't one of the rules in the 2009ish spectrum auction that Robellus wasn't supposed allowed to buy spectrum because they wouldn't use it?

I think that was the case, yes.
I'm looking for a snippet somewhere that confirms this, so I can fire it off in my letter to IC - not that it'll do any good.

Mike