All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Whats the point

So the Wife and I pay 138 dollars a month for pretty much the Ultimate Optik TV package and Optik 25 internet but everyday I am finding my self flipping through the channels finding absolutely nothing on at all

- The same shows appear across multiple channels
- Channels once devoted to science are now nothing more then a place to watch Bridal shows and reality shows about swamp loggers and antique crap hunters.
- Dont get me started on MTV it has a show that is Jack ass meets jersey shore and they also now have a show about loosing your virginity,
- Teletoon retro isn't really retro they play the same shows over and over and never introduce anything new.
- Canadian versions of American networks are just watered down wannabes,

I am finding myself more and more going to netflix or just looking for all the shows I grew up loving or the new shows today I have found and loved in rare cases.

There is just no value in pay for tv packages today.

If it wasnt for the wife wanting to watch her shows NOW!! I would ditch TV all together and download everything.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC

Gardener

Premium Member

Consider the alternative - if television was really good, what would we do? Better to be offered crap, mostly.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to DanteX

Premium Member

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

- Teletoon retro isn't really retro they play the same shows over and over and never introduce anything new.

lol... that one was my favourite.

(bolding is mine)
DanteX

DanteX

LOl in regards to teletoon retro I mean its the same cartoons over and over all day everyday instead of some variety.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to DanteX

to DanteX
Cut down on the stupid packages and try a couple of premium ones like HBO and Super Channel .Or Oasis ,National Geographic,Discovery Channels .
Knowledge and PBS are with 'The Essentials'
With HBO and Super Channel plus if you want the oldies 'Hollywood'
If you go to 'ON Demand' you get all the movies they have shown and you can watch them at leisure....no extra charge.Newer movies then than Netflix.There a re so many there Wow!
You should talk with Telus and they can figure out the proper channels for you and the price.
Expand your moderator at work

cheeers
@telus.net

cheeers to DanteX

Anon

to DanteX

Re: Whats the point of lame content

Its tough for people to break the bond of
"this show plays at this time on this channel on this day and I have to watch it or my friends will blabber a bunch of spoilers tomorrow and I will be so sad and then eat until I look like honey booboo's parent who will drop dead one day in the imitation butter isle of the local food collection center".

The biggest problem with all these ugggly canadian channels is the Canadian content laws. With teletoon retro, you have a bunch of lame ass cartoons(except when they play live action of a non-cartoon nature. WTF?) that are more filler due to being produced or created in Canada at some point in history(spiderman, hercules). Of course there is also the issue of being hated for the criminal action(Charter of Rights and Freedoms: Freedom of communication) of censoring the U.S. networks with the Canadian channels feed.

Why do we need 20 channels that air the same shows in rotation? Why competition obviously. Shut them down. And the shows workers will go to the U.S. for higher paid work, while being able to travel back to Canada for the tax breaks that productions get in Canada.

The Canadian stations do have the shows online after a 24 hours delay. Most of them that is. Some are just to damn special to give out for free. And it will disappear after about 10 days of being online.

Netflix U.S. has triple the content that Canada has. So send hate mail to Shaw and Bell for their refusal to share and air what they bought the copyright for airing on television in Canada.

Universal pictures shows/movies to become the most pirated content over ten years as they sold exclusive airing rights to HBO.
»HBO Pens 10 Year Exclusive Deal With Universal [89] comments

A true Patriot in Canadian History once said: 'If it wasn't for Canadian content laws, My show would of been canceled after the first season'.
That Patriot? He is and will always be Red Green.(aka Steve Smith).
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite

I went back to peasant vision. I too got sick of the monthly TV bill after I realized I hardly watched anything, got most of my news and entertainment over the net. The only thing I found TV really good for was sports and the Olympics, but I was able to get fantastic HD over the air which made it not missed.

Probably saved over $3000 in TV over the past 3 years that I haven't had it and genuinely don't miss it.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to DanteX

to DanteX

Re: Whats the point

Everyone is getting to the point where they are ready to ditch cable and go streaming/download only. Huge cost savings, and maybe even more healthy, activity wise. Getting out more instead of watching all the TV.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

said by rustydusty:

Everyone

not quite...
some people like watching shows while they're released not months or years later.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to DanteX

to DanteX
I tend to use online sources for most TV consumption. I suppose I've grown tired of commercials. The only think I really watch live on TV are news programs and live sports. Both of which don't have high quality alternatives online yet.

My wife likes to watch Food/HGTV/Animal Planet and those kind of channels.

I would guess that most people would probably be content with less than 20 channels. The problem is that channel owners are very clever with how the license they're channels. They know which ones are popular and force TV providers to bundle them with less popular channnels. To get your 20 channels you might have to subscribe to 50 channels.

It's really bloating TV bills. I would guess if the shift to online content escalates they TV industry might have trim off some of the fat and offer a more slimline package. (or maybe a la carte?).

It's not really a Telus issue though... its sort of a Canada wide cable/iptv issue. The Tv industry is shifting from Ad revenue (due to lower ratings) to carriage fees. They force bundling so they can get carriage fees on channels people don't want. Have loads of channels available makes TV pretty expensive.

Look at how many useless SD packages you have to subscribe to on Telus just to get a few HD channels in each bundle :P
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

I would not mind just paying for the channels I really wont.
There is a lot of junk channels we have to pass through why these channels have been approved to run amazes me.
This is nothing to do with Telus's .Its the suppliers of the feed that insist this rubbish has to be included in bundles..
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

TELUS wants to charge only per channel but we can't because of Bell, Fox and other content provider who forces us to buy bundles and only provide channel in bundles.
DanteX

DanteX

Telus needs to stand up and speak out to the CRTC and defend the customers then because if not more and more people will ditch TV for streaming solutions and P2P
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

Its supposedly coming. »www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 996.html

Telus was one of the providers complaining at the CRTC about this. Whether or not they'll just use it to unbundle TSN, etc or if they'll actually add a la carte remains to be seen. Its starting to look like they won't though.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to JammerMan79

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

said by rustydusty:

Everyone

not quite...
some people like watching shows while they're released not months or years later.

With the price of digital/HD packages, I will wait a year if I have to than pay the prices.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

move to PG - after paying the mortgage you actually have extra spending money

fyi.... all telus packages are digital and all have hd
Expand your moderator at work
anhloc
join:2009-12-11
Canada

anhloc to DanteX

to DanteX

Re: Whats the point

Right now I have the Best of HD package. So Essentials + Best of HD. $51/month for TV. Gives me TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Oilers, AMC, Food Network, Space, and a bunch of other channels I don't overly care about. It's a good package, at a decent price. Shame we don't offer it anymore.

TV has been tough the last few months with the lockout going on. That is really the main reason I have TV is for live sports. If TELUS goes a la carte (which we are supposed to, eventually) I'd just get TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Oilers, and Sportsnet One. I can watch my AMC shows via download.

No one is forcing you to have the higher package. If you're not using your TV all the time, maybe get a different package, or trim some theme packs off until something tickles your fancy.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to DanteX

to DanteX
the internet has killed my interest in TV completely.

There's a few shows a follow (3-4 maximum). The only reason i'd want live TV is for sports, but that's not worth 40$/month to me.

Unfortunately internet streams of hockey cannot compete with 60fps and comparatively high bitrate services offered by the big TV companies...

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

Cloneman is the nhlcenter ice web no good?