share rss forum feed

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Think of the children er I mean jobs

Someone needs to tell the judge of the billions of dollars of economic impact and thousands of jobs that will be eliminated if lawsuit-o-matic cases aren't rubber stamp approved and (gasp!) intelligently looked at. These cases need fast tracked immediately.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
Voltage is a foreign company (they're American), so even if there WERE billions of dollars of economic impact and thousands of lost jobs, that could arguably be considered a net positive for the Canadian entertainment industry :P

It's important to remember that this is a US company arguing before a Canadian court, so those sorts of arguments aren't going to be as persuasive.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

OhPlease

@beanfield.net
reply to cdru
Piracy leading to job loss / sale loss is a myth.
It has been disproved many times, in many countries around the world.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Guspaz
Not really you can bet your ass the US company's were telling the government you pass this new copyright bill or we'll stop making movies in Canada. So not passing copyright laws would have an effect on cdns jobs and money.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to OhPlease
and the fact old hollywood had a record breaking year. It's not about the money they're making to them it's about what they think they could make that makes them hate piracy so much. Thanks to me downloading movies I buy more then I used too.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to TOPDAWG
If US co's did try to hold that over the CAN gov'ts head, I'd bet the US co's would blink 1st.

It's common knowledge US outfits go to CAN to film due to significantly lower costs- I doubt they'd follow through on that threat since it would cost them real money, and not the ficticious losses from file trading.

I hope they make such a threat- it would prove their "losses" are really bogus.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by jimboe:

If US co's did try to hold that over the CAN gov'ts head, I'd bet the US co's would blink 1st.

It's common knowledge US outfits go to CAN to film due to significantly lower costs- I doubt they'd follow through on that threat since it would cost them real money, and not the ficticious losses from file trading.

I hope they make such a threat- it would prove their "losses" are really bogus.

Actually, with the Canadian dollar being generally worth more than the US dollar these days, not as much 'Hollywood' & US network production is taking pace in Canada as before. eg. X-Files was almost exclusively produced in Canada, but the economics of that are long past.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

Not really you can bet your ass the US company's were telling the government you pass this new copyright bill or we'll stop making movies in Canada. So not passing copyright laws would have an effect on cdns jobs and money.

They've already taken their ball, and gone home, due to our outstanding dollar.

They have no stick to pound us with. What - they will stop making awful movies?

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to cdru
I think someone should design a T-Shirt that says, "The Pirates tek yer jerbs".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to cdru
ROFL.... Job losses?? Voltage movies are pap. I'd be surprised if they employ a half dozen employees based on the revenue coming in from the garbage films they produce.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It's important to remember that this is a US company arguing before a Canadian court, so those sorts of arguments aren't going to be as persuasive.

Those arguments are always complete BS no matter WHAT Court they are argued in.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini