uniqs
share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Student loans why don't some people pay them back?

said by elwoodblues:

So because education is "free" does that we're going to have a glut of architects and their skills then are worthless? I would argue because education is not free, we may have a shortage of architects, because people who have the aptitude to become one, can't afford to go to school.

i agree...there are likely scenarios where there could be some people that would just seem to "fit" into programs they are really interested in, but can't do because of cost.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

So because education is "free" does that we're going to have a glut of architects and their skills then are worthless? I would argue because education is not free, we may have a shortage of architects, because people who have the aptitude to become one, can't afford to go to school.

i agree...there are likely scenarios where there could be some people that would just seem to "fit" into programs they are really interested in, but can't do because of cost.

I think it's very possible to have a glut of certain degrees if they are free. Heck even with the burden of huge loans many people get degrees with low career value in the US, then slave away the stereotypical starbucks job to pay them back over a lifetime.

I do support most education being free, but there needs to be limits and requirements that aren't there in the system right now. With some constraints, a fully paid system could actually be more efficient at providing economic value. Right now we fork over 50-70% of the money required but have basically no input into how it is used. Students and universities want to crank out tons of liberal arts degrees because they are easier? Go nuts. Medecine and engineering are hard? No worries.

The free systems in Europe don't operate so loosely AFAIK. Not only could you not keep your free ride in art history with a D average, but you may not even get into that if the demand on the student side is much higher than the demand on the career side. To me both of these make sense (requiring more performance and more value than we do now from the money taxpayers put in). If we're going to go 'free' the money has to come with more strings to make sure it is well spent, because paying for slackers to extend their carefree childhood into their 20s with easy free degrees is not a good use of money.