Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cdru

MVM

to cdru

Re: Think of the children er I mean jobs

Voltage is a foreign company (they're American), so even if there WERE billions of dollars of economic impact and thousands of lost jobs, that could arguably be considered a net positive for the Canadian entertainment industry :P

It's important to remember that this is a US company arguing before a Canadian court, so those sorts of arguments aren't going to be as persuasive.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Not really you can bet your ass the US company's were telling the government you pass this new copyright bill or we'll stop making movies in Canada. So not passing copyright laws would have an effect on cdns jobs and money.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

If US co's did try to hold that over the CAN gov'ts head, I'd bet the US co's would blink 1st.

It's common knowledge US outfits go to CAN to film due to significantly lower costs- I doubt they'd follow through on that threat since it would cost them real money, and not the ficticious losses from file trading.

I hope they make such a threat- it would prove their "losses" are really bogus.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by jimboe:

If US co's did try to hold that over the CAN gov'ts head, I'd bet the US co's would blink 1st.

It's common knowledge US outfits go to CAN to film due to significantly lower costs- I doubt they'd follow through on that threat since it would cost them real money, and not the ficticious losses from file trading.

I hope they make such a threat- it would prove their "losses" are really bogus.

Actually, with the Canadian dollar being generally worth more than the US dollar these days, not as much 'Hollywood' & US network production is taking pace in Canada as before. eg. X-Files was almost exclusively produced in Canada, but the economics of that are long past.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

Not really you can bet your ass the US company's were telling the government you pass this new copyright bill or we'll stop making movies in Canada. So not passing copyright laws would have an effect on cdns jobs and money.

They've already taken their ball, and gone home, due to our outstanding dollar.

They have no stick to pound us with. What - they will stop making awful movies?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It's important to remember that this is a US company arguing before a Canadian court, so those sorts of arguments aren't going to be as persuasive.

Those arguments are always complete BS no matter WHAT Court they are argued in.