Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Prospect of slower iPhone sales punishing Apple's stock

stock prices can swing if somebody farts in the elevator.

Apple might be seeing declining sales but they are not weakening. They still have a strong and loyal customer base, Which is worth a lot more than constantly high iPhone5 sales.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by Kearnstd:

...They still have a strong and loyal customer base,...

So did Kodak, Polaroid, Xerox, Palm and Sony

Nothing lasts forever

(p.s. I love the stock and the company...not trolling)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Those companies all refused to innovate after their initial successes and became second runs. Apple is still the first run in all of their businesses.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by skeechan:

Those companies all refused to innovate after their initial successes and became second runs. Apple is still the first run in all of their businesses.

True, but for the most part, Apple is refusing to compete on the low end of the market, leaving customers aplenty for the competition.
Will that be their undoing? (who knows??)

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

stock prices can swing if somebody farts in the elevator.

Apple might be seeing declining sales but they are not weakening. They still have a strong and loyal customer base, Which is worth a lot more than constantly high iPhone5 sales.

not only that, iTunes/AppStore is such a cash machine, it could likely keep Apple afloat for generations alone...sure, don't sit back and get complacent, but don't underestimate the mint those two revenue generators are and will continue to be.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

That's why Apple needs a real refresher of iOS look & feel... if you look at the eye candy androids offer, a lot of people are drawn to that and the iOS is plain as originally was...
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by HiVolt:

That's why Apple needs a real refresher of iOS look & feel... if you look at the eye candy androids offer, a lot of people are drawn to that and the iOS is plain as originally was...

I dunno, I see the eye candy like live tiles on the Android phones and the battery issues that people have with their phones that is related to that eye candy and go "No thanks, don't need anything else that makes the battery life on my phone a game of Russian Roulette"

Besides, a simple interface that works is a godsend for doing troubleshooting for people's phones. I get handed an Android phone every so often by people looking for help, even though I'm an iPhone guy because they know I'm a tech geek.

I can usually figure out what the issue is on the Android phone but the way everything is non standard across different brands (hell, even within the same phone "family" there can be differences) drives me mad.

NefCanuck

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by skeechan:

True, but for the most part, Apple is refusing to compete on the low end of the market, leaving customers aplenty for the competition.
Will that be their undoing? (who knows??)

I thought this as well and still due to some extent. However, I have noticed that the release of the iPhone 5 has seemed to have resulted in the market being flooded with lower priced iPhones. Now people can buy an iPhone 4 or 4S for fairly low prices and these are still desirable to many.

So in a very real way Apple is competing in the lower-end of the spectrum and these slightly older discarded devices are generating competition with Android devices. Apple is also competing with themselves in this respect.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

said by HiVolt:

I dunno, I see the eye candy like live tiles on the Android phones and the battery issues that people have with their phones that is related to that eye candy and go "No thanks, don't need anything else that makes the battery life on my phone a game of Russian Roulette"

Besides, a simple interface that works is a godsend for doing troubleshooting for people's phones. I get handed an Android phone every so often by people looking for help, even though I'm an iPhone guy because they know I'm a tech geek.

I can usually figure out what the issue is on the Android phone but the way everything is non standard across different brands (hell, even within the same phone "family" there can be differences) drives me mad.

NefCanuck

I agree with you, but Apple can still make it work better than android with regard to eye candy and allowing some more customization, since they only have to make it work on a handful of devices, which they design, build & control.

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Tell me why should I need a jailbreak in order to have an option of holding down the volume buttons for half a second to skip music tracks forward or back? or pressing them simultaneously to play/pause? This could probably take Apple an hour to write into code, and be an option in the settings. Little things like that would make their devices so much better.

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by HiVolt:

and i'd probably answer the same way Jobs would have...why would you want to do that?

But if Apple is not going to bother making an option like that, why can't a legit 3rd party addon do it? Apple can still approve the addon on the app store to make sure it only does what it says it does...

They dont allow absolutely any hardware control beyond their own API's, and apps can't interact with any buttons or sensors if the app isnt running.

Stuff like this is keeping people off iOS and with Android... Cuz you can do almost anything you want to it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo

MVM

said by ptrowski:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by HiVolt:

To play catch up. There are tons of small little tweaks that jailbreaking allows you to do that we should be able to. So stock iOS allows 4 icons in the dock. With my 4s I have 5, the ones I use most. How about customizing a theme to make things look a bit different? I can do that as well. A very basic but very useful one is Notifier. I get an email, Text, phone call...a small icon shows up in the upper right hand of the screen. Sbsettings is a life saver, quick swipe and I have toggles to wifi, 3G, Bluetooth on and off. How about tapping the home button 3 times to bring up the google search app? Even better, turning wifi etc off and on using Siri?

Simple things like these make a good phone into a great phone. It's also the reason that after owning 4 iPhones I am not buying the 5 and waiting for the Galaxy 4.

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

Because we know Apple likes to hold functionality back and then release it with the message "it took us a while but we did it right" and pretend it's a great new feature that the world has never seen, you know, like MMS, printing... lol

Well, this may not work in the long run, that's all... It worked when the Androids were pretty basic themselves, but now they are not.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
The low end of the market is not exactly profitable. Look at the profit share (not market share) of the companies that make the low end phones - quite a few of them are actually losing money on it. Appleinsider and MacRumors publish the numbers all the time and it's amazing how well Apple does selling only like 18-30% of the smartphones sold in any one year.