spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WhyNoUpload

join:2013-01-15

[Cable] Need faster upload!!!

Not entirely Teksavvys fault but this is way to ridiculous. Having 1mbps of upload speed on cable in 2013 is like not having access to clean drinking water. I don't have access to anything other than cable so this is my only option. The CRTC should treat this like a national crisis!

Yep first world problems at its finest.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

Move to Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, or even Western Canada. Only in Ontario do we get shafted like this.

I'm gonna leave for Start, probably. I want that faster upload!

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

Not entirely Teksavvys fault but this is way to ridiculous. Having 1mbps of upload speed on cable in 2013 is like not having access to clean drinking water. I don't have access to anything other than cable so this is my only option. The CRTC should treat this like a national crisis!

Not entirely Teksavvy's fault?
How about not Teksavvy's fault at all. Rogers is trying to ignore CRTC rules which stated they had to speedmatch.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by resa1983:

said by WhyNoUpload:

Not entirely Teksavvy's fault?
How about not Teksavvy's fault at all. Rogers is trying to ignore CRTC rules which stated they had to speedmatch.

If Teksavvy chose not to upgrade the IPOI and prep for switching over to APOI, there wouldn't be such a problem. Yes there are costs and it's hella expensive as I've heard that many times, but you have to do the switch sooner or later. The more you delay, the more expensive it'll get.

You need to think long-term. Not short-term.

Shikomu

join:2007-11-16
Ontario
reply to geokilla

Ya I just left to Start cable as Teksavvy still couldnt get cable in Burlington but start did. on the 20/2 package I like the 2 Meg Upload compared to 800K I had on DSL

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

1 edit
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Move to Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, or even Western Canada. Only in Ontario do we get shafted like this.

I'm gonna leave for Start, probably. I want that faster upload!

Best plan Start has for me is 32/1 - even though I can get 150/10 from Rogers.

//Edit: Whoa - I checked this 3 days ago and thats the best they had available for my area code. Now they're reporting I can get 45/4/350 GB - $59.95/month with a free service transfer.

Teksavvy, still sticking with you, but you got some major competition there. CRTC better approve the new rates...

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to resa1983

since you seem to know a bit about it, how is it start can offer the higher speed by TSI cannot? I haven't checked start's page but if what's said below is true 20\2 package, it's more then TSI offer's, which would make it slightly TSI.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Tx:

since you seem to know a bit about it, how is it start can offer the higher speed by TSI cannot?

Start is on the aggregate POI. Teksavvy is not.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

since you seem to know a bit about it, how is it start can offer the higher speed by TSI cannot? I haven't checked start's page but if what's said below is true 20\2 package, it's more then TSI offer's, which would make it slightly TSI.

Start is on the Aggregated POI architecture, while Teksavvy is not. Rogers only allows the new speed packages to the ISPs on the Aggregated POI architecture.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Sanek:

said by Tx:

Start is on the Aggregated POI architecture, while Teksavvy is not. Rogers only allows the new speed packages to the ISPs on the Aggregated POI architecture.

The problem is that Rogers is treating these like these new packages, and can charge for package changes, and grandfather people at the slower speeds. We all know these are free upgrades and should have automatically been provided.

A plan has already been put together with Rogers to switch to aggregated. There were contractual obligations with the current POIs that had to be resolved.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to WhyNoUpload

And none of which is TSI's previous issues not moving to aggregated earlier? The POI's i do not know much about but i can't see how this is only a Rogers issue so i'm looking to see for answers there.

Appreciate the 3 of you honestly answering without an ignorant response to an honest question.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

Quick question while we're on the subject of Start - do they have a max overage limit or is it always $0.5/GB over plan limit?

Thanks!

bt

canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

And none of which is TSI's previous issues not moving to aggregated earlier?

Not financially sound to do so at that time.

said by Sanek:

Quick question while we're on the subject of Start - do they have a max overage limit or is it always $0.5/GB over plan limit?

No limit.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by bt:

said by Tx:

And none of which is TSI's previous issues not moving to aggregated earlier?

Not financially sound to do so at that time.

said by Sanek:

No limit.

Max overage of $25.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to bt

The maximum overage limit is at eight million dollars Canadian, payable in twoonies only, and due immediately.

Nah not true - Bazinga?

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

I totally agree. I got to upload some to youtube take 3 hours if 1080p. Why can`t we control our downloads and upload and why can`t you offer example 15 mbps downloads and 15 mbps upload. Not exactly all Teksavvys fault.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Max overage of $25.

Start does not have a max overage.

bt

canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

said by bt:

said by Sanek:

No limit.

Max overage of $25.

Not with Start.

Sanek

Kanata, ON

said by bt:

Not with Start.

And that's a deal-breaker for me. What if something on my network gets stuck in a download loop - I don't want that to bankrupt me. Sorry, but that's scary!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to WhyNoUpload

I couldn't disagree more OP.

Not having clean drinking water > your problem with upload.

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

A freakin' men @ OP.

This is so backwards it's frakkin insane. For my job I have to upload a LOT of raw video (Which can be quite large) and audio files after editing them, on 1mbps, you have to cap the upload speed to about 75-80 kb/s or it'll start choking your download and your connection will be complete crapsauce. For instance I had to upload a 4 gigabyte file... I started it this morning at 10 am, it JUST finished (it's 6 pm right now.) That's gross.

On top of not having a landline (Waste of money, i have a cell..) I'm not paying the ludicrous amount of money to switch to DSL. I'm sure i'll have to pay some sort of activation fee even though I'm already a TSI customer, + the modem + the tech that'll come up to set up my phone line + the actual phone line charge per month... No thanks.

A coworker of mine living in the states is sitting on a nice 50 down 20 up, what the frak? is our infrastructure that garbage we can't get past 1mbps up?

Thanks Robbers for keeping even the smallest step forward in internet technology from everyone else. In a world where social media and sharing funny videos from the night before, you guys sure are dicks from holding it back from the rest of us.

Foristality

join:2010-12-04
M2K 6T8
reply to WhyNoUpload

I got to agree. This is sad. We are suppose to have Fiber optics in every house hold by now.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

If Teksavvy chose not to upgrade the IPOI and prep for switching over to APOI, there wouldn't be such a problem. Yes there are costs and it's hella expensive as I've heard that many times, but you have to do the switch sooner or later. The more you delay, the more expensive it'll get.

Except the delaying part is nonsense and it pushes off shafting customers as much as possible. Moving to aggregate is a total shaft to the customer.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

Cable upload speeds are pretty bad. Worst part is when you upload, your download speeds slow down to a crawl.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to silvercat

said by silvercat:

said by geokilla:

Max overage of $25.

Start does not have a max overage.

We're both wrong. Max overage is $50.

»Re: Start Communications - New Packages

Lol @ download loop

said by 34764170:

said by geokilla:

Except the delaying part is nonsense and it pushes off shafting customers as much as possible. Moving to aggregate is a total shaft to the customer.

How? If I spend $50k to upgrade my IPOIs, then $200k to switch to APOI, why don't I just save that $50k and spend up to $250k to switch to APOI instead? I remember reading somewhere that the IPOI links currently used will all be useless when they switch to APOI.

Now I'm taking random numbers as an example and keeping it simple. Obviously there's more to it as resa said there were contractual obligations that had to be resolved. But it still baffles me. What you want is efficient spending of money, not inefficient.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by geokilla:

No.. no.. no.. ! That Max overage of $50 was only used as part of a hypothetical example !

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Err, I don't see any discussion of "max overage" at the link you posted.
Rather, there's simply an example of how 100GB overage results in a $50 extra charge, based on the $0.50/GB fee structure.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by mlord:

said by geokilla:

Err, I don't see any discussion of "max overage" at the link you posted.
Rather, there's simply an example of how 100GB overage results in a $50 extra charge, based on the $0.50/GB fee structure.

Ah. Misread.

Well either way, if you go over by 100GB, then you deserve to pay it imo. You pay for what you use.. A couple GB is fine, but to go over by 100GB. Well you should just switch to a higher tier.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

I said this on another thread.. Caps should be set the same on all tiers to curb abuse... Not per speed tier. This is how its done everywhere almost accept Canada where greed by the big 3 and complanacy by Canadians happen.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Foristality

Fiberoptics. The only place it will be for the next 20 years are in big cities. Hopefully when I finish school I will move to some big city where it is offered. Maybe to the U.S. where Google Fibe will be availible even though I really don't want to go to the U.S.