Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kovy

Re: [Cable] Need faster upload!!!

A freakin' men @ OP.

This is so backwards it's frakkin insane. For my job I have to upload a LOT of raw video (Which can be quite large) and audio files after editing them, on 1mbps, you have to cap the upload speed to about 75-80 kb/s or it'll start choking your download and your connection will be complete crapsauce. For instance I had to upload a 4 gigabyte file... I started it this morning at 10 am, it JUST finished (it's 6 pm right now.) That's gross.

On top of not having a landline (Waste of money, i have a cell..) I'm not paying the ludicrous amount of money to switch to DSL. I'm sure i'll have to pay some sort of activation fee even though I'm already a TSI customer, + the modem + the tech that'll come up to set up my phone line + the actual phone line charge per month... No thanks.

A coworker of mine living in the states is sitting on a nice 50 down 20 up, what the frak? is our infrastructure that garbage we can't get past 1mbps up?

Thanks Robbers for keeping even the smallest step forward in internet technology from everyone else. In a world where social media and sharing funny videos from the night before, you guys sure are dicks from holding it back from the rest of us.

Foristality

join:2010-12-04
M2K 6T8
reply to WhyNoUpload

I got to agree. This is sad. We are suppose to have Fiber optics in every house hold by now.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

If Teksavvy chose not to upgrade the IPOI and prep for switching over to APOI, there wouldn't be such a problem. Yes there are costs and it's hella expensive as I've heard that many times, but you have to do the switch sooner or later. The more you delay, the more expensive it'll get.

Except the delaying part is nonsense and it pushes off shafting customers as much as possible. Moving to aggregate is a total shaft to the customer.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

Cable upload speeds are pretty bad. Worst part is when you upload, your download speeds slow down to a crawl.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to silvercat

said by silvercat:

said by geokilla:

Max overage of $25.

Start does not have a max overage.

We're both wrong. Max overage is $50.

»Re: Start Communications - New Packages

Lol @ download loop

said by 34764170:

said by geokilla:

If Teksavvy chose not to upgrade the IPOI and prep for switching over to APOI, there wouldn't be such a problem. Yes there are costs and it's hella expensive as I've heard that many times, but you have to do the switch sooner or later. The more you delay, the more expensive it'll get.

Except the delaying part is nonsense and it pushes off shafting customers as much as possible. Moving to aggregate is a total shaft to the customer.

How? If I spend $50k to upgrade my IPOIs, then $200k to switch to APOI, why don't I just save that $50k and spend up to $250k to switch to APOI instead? I remember reading somewhere that the IPOI links currently used will all be useless when they switch to APOI.

Now I'm taking random numbers as an example and keeping it simple. Obviously there's more to it as resa said there were contractual obligations that had to be resolved. But it still baffles me. What you want is efficient spending of money, not inefficient.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by geokilla:

No.. no.. no.. ! That Max overage of $50 was only used as part of a hypothetical example !

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Err, I don't see any discussion of "max overage" at the link you posted.
Rather, there's simply an example of how 100GB overage results in a $50 extra charge, based on the $0.50/GB fee structure.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by mlord:

said by geokilla:

Err, I don't see any discussion of "max overage" at the link you posted.
Rather, there's simply an example of how 100GB overage results in a $50 extra charge, based on the $0.50/GB fee structure.

Ah. Misread.

Well either way, if you go over by 100GB, then you deserve to pay it imo. You pay for what you use.. A couple GB is fine, but to go over by 100GB. Well you should just switch to a higher tier.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

I said this on another thread.. Caps should be set the same on all tiers to curb abuse... Not per speed tier. This is how its done everywhere almost accept Canada where greed by the big 3 and complanacy by Canadians happen.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Foristality

Fiberoptics. The only place it will be for the next 20 years are in big cities. Hopefully when I finish school I will move to some big city where it is offered. Maybe to the U.S. where Google Fibe will be availible even though I really don't want to go to the U.S.

mlord

Nepean, ON

Just move to New Brunswick. FTTH. 75/75 w/no cap. (and other plans).

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Well either way, if you go over by 100GB, then you deserve to pay it imo. You pay for what you use.. A couple GB is fine, but to go over by 100GB. Well you should just switch to a higher tier.

Given that the operating cost of an extra GB is likely around 5cents, I'd be happy to pay that amount.

Or given that the plan allows 350GB for $60, why does an extra 100GB cost another $50? Should be more like another 300GB or so for that extra $50, since I could get 350GB extra for $60.

Lots of screwed up economics all based on the flawed theory that using more than some arbitrary threshold of GB's costs Rogers a lot of money.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

How? If I spend $50k to upgrade my IPOIs, then $200k to switch to APOI, why don't I just save that $50k and spend up to $250k to switch to APOI instead? I remember reading somewhere that the IPOI links currently used will all be useless when they switch to APOI.

Now I'm taking random numbers as an example and keeping it simple. Obviously there's more to it as resa said there were contractual obligations that had to be resolved. But it still baffles me. What you want is efficient spending of money, not inefficient.

You're pulling numbers of your butt and not taking contractual obligations into consideration. They can't just switch whenever they feel like it either. There's a very good chance switching now would cost them more as opposed to switching later when the contracts are up for some/most of their existing links. APOI is also not good for existing customers. So it's pretty much a lose-lose situation.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to WhyNoUpload

TekSavvy signed term contracts for transit to/from POIs, before Rogers introduced aggregated POIs. TekSavvy is on the hook to pay for that transit (and there are what, dozens and dozens of GigE lines now?) even if they don't use them.

Essentially, TekSavvy has to pay for individual POIs for months (years?) after switching to aggregated, that's a huge cost.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms
reply to tristen1230

said by tristen1230:

Fiberoptics. The only place it will be for the next 20 years are in big cities. Hopefully when I finish school I will move to some big city where it is offered. Maybe to the U.S. where Google Fibe will be availible even though I really don't want to go to the U.S.

Actually they are in small towns long ago.. Wightman communications, hurontel, and others have all done fibre to the home and have for a few years now.. Bell so far isn't doing a full FTTH in most areas on any registrable scale, nor is rogers.

Etobicoke, ON

said by koreyb:

Actually they are in small towns long ago.. Wightman communications, hurontel, and others have all done fibre to the home and have for a few years now.. Bell so far isn't doing a full FTTH in most areas on any registrable scale, nor is rogers.

They'll go after brand new neighbourhoods or older neighbourhoods with aerial wiring. Anything else... good luck.
Expand your moderator at work

WhyNoUpload

join:2013-01-15
reply to kovy

Re: [Cable] Need faster upload!!!

said by kovy:

I couldn't disagree more OP.

Not having clean drinking water > your problem with upload.

Sorry. I think I over exaggerated little bit. Just a little.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Essentially, TekSavvy has to pay for individual POIs for months (years?) after switching to aggregated, that's a huge cost.

IIRC, Rogers proposed transition arrangements to transfer Rogers' share of the balance on non-aggregated capacity to aggregated for ISPs that decided to switch early.

Of course, due to the higher capacity costs on aggregated, all the TPIAs passed on that offer, either banking on an extension or rate adjustments that are still uncertain more than a year later.

Etobicoke, ON

said by InvalidError:

Of course, due to the higher capacity costs on aggregated, all the TPIAs passed on that offer, either banking on an extension or rate adjustments that are still uncertain more than a year later.

There are pros and cons to aggregated and for how much it would be nice to have increased coverage and higher speeds the change (and increase) in capacity costs is a real kick in the pants.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Sanek

said by Sanek:

said by bt:

Not with Start.

And that's a deal-breaker for me. What if something on my network gets stuck in a download loop - I don't want that to bankrupt me. Sorry, but that's scary!

Like what, I have never heard of a download loop in my 15 years online.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

Having 1mbps of upload speed on cable in 2013 is like not having access to clean drinking water.

That's a pretty gross exaggeration seeing essentially necessary water is to you living and internet is a luxury.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

It's an exaggeration, but it's not gross. Internet really should be treated as a vital utility these days, like phone, power, heat, water. It's not vital to life, but it's vital to many aspects of living, today.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

Not entirely Teksavvys fault but this is way to ridiculous. Having 1mbps of upload speed on cable in 2013 is like not having access to clean drinking water. I don't have access to anything other than cable so this is my only option. The CRTC should treat this like a national crisis!

Yep first world problems at its finest.

No, it is a gross exaggeration. A better comparison would have been to say it's like having no phone. But even then, the issue raised is not whether have your internet or not, it's speeds. Having high upload speeds are not vital.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to NBomb

said by NBomb:

It's an exaggeration, but it's not gross.

While Internet may be a very convenient commodity, high speeds certainly aren't essential. Being able to visit government sites, pay bills online, etc. is almost-essential but these can be almost be done reasonably quickly even on 512k DSL. Hosting game servers, uploading 10GB of photos on FB or 10GB of videos on Youtube however are not likely to be considered essential any time soon.

If it is essential for your job, get your employer to set you up with something faster at his own expense. If your employer refuses then it is quite possible that your employer does not consider you (or you having faster internet) quite that essential.

Etobicoke, ON

said by InvalidError:

If it is essential for your job, get your employer to set you up with something faster at his own expense. If your employer refuses then it is quite possible that your employer does not consider you (or you having faster internet) quite that essential.

Maybe they could consider that option when that option exists.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to Sanek

said by Sanek:

//Edit: Whoa - I checked this 3 days ago and thats the best they had available for my area code. Now they're reporting I can get 45/4/350 GB - $59.95/month with a free service transfer.

Yeah the grass is certainly STARTing to look greener on the other side.

$15 more per month for 45/4 vs 28/1

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by InvalidError:

Maybe they could consider that option when that option exists.

Except the option does exist. Consumer grade internet connections aren't the only ones out there.

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

Oh okay, it all makes sense now

those of us that need more then 1 megabit upload should all just get business lines or just get a fiber line.

God, why didn't I think of that... hang on while I go plant that money tree.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by chrisl83:

Oh okay, it all makes sense now

those of us that need more then 1 megabit upload should all just get business lines or just get a fiber line.

God, why didn't I think of that... hang on while I go plant that money tree.

How about reading what's posted? I never said 1Mbps is satisfactory.