Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Jonathan987

Premium Member

to Jonathan987

Re: [Voip.ms] No Ringing on outgoing calls/dropped calls

Christ, I can't call home (again), the DID sitting on mtl2 is not responding.
I know I don't pay a lot, but this is starting to piss me off.
The worst part is when things go bad @ voip, the number is supposed to get forwarded to my cell. That's not happening either.

sowhatski
@37.247.50.x

sowhatski

Anon

I live in Eastern Canada and when I began using voip.ms, I tried the Toronto and Montreal servers and had problems with them.

I tried a few others and finally settled on the Houston server, and that has been problem-free.

Don't think you have to stay with the Canadian servers because they are relatively close; try others - they have 10 or 11; I do not notice any lag because the ping times are somewhat longer; they are still pretty short.
conitssap
join:2012-08-13

conitssap

I was also on the MTL server - had the same issues. Switched to premium routing and that fixed the problem. Then switched to the Chicago and back to value and everything is back to normal. I recommend switching to a server in the states - I am based in Toronto and Chicago has the quickest ping times apart from Toronto and Montreal. Can’t tell the difference and hopefully this stays stable for a bit.
You can change you 1-800 preferences so it defaults to Canadian - you will have to enter your mailbox number for VM's if that’s not your home server but you can contact support and have that changed if that’s an issue.
Hope this helps

Calafax
join:2007-05-07
USA

Calafax

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--silence on my end when calling, or a delay before ringing. One call today seemed to time out and die with zero duration for the call listed in the CDR entry. I then made the call, without trouble, on our POTS line.
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry

Premium Member

said by Calafax:

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--[snip]

The New York server has been a disaster of late. (Today 13% of our incoming calls on the New York server dropped - a serious issue.) Chicago is not far behind. Tampa, where we've moved a lot of our Voip.ms traffic, is beginning to show signs of trouble as well. We moved whatever we had on Montreal to other servers months ago.

I fear all is not well in Voip.ms land. I have a lot invested with Voip.ms and they are currently letting me (and a lot of us) down. Spending every day playing "musical servers" is not how I want to live my life, and as a reseller with a reputation to maintain, my hair has turned several shades grayer over the last couple of months as my customers complain.

I still believe this is all just growing pains (perhaps their servers are reaching capacity) - and I am hoping they are on it and making the necessary adjustments, modifications and /or repairs ... but I also hope that I am not hoping beyond hope.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to Calafax

Premium Member

to Calafax
said by Calafax:

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--silence on my end when calling, or a delay before ringing. One call today seemed to time out and die with zero duration for the call listed in the CDR entry. I then made the call, without trouble, on our POTS line.

I have given switched to another provider for outgoing call and I am much happier. I still use voip.ms for incoming. After switching to the Houston server last month, I have had zero problems with incoming since (Thanks PX for sharing the 'lucky' server).
said by lilarry:

Spending every day playing "musical servers" is not how I want to live my life...

^^^This!

I am just a low volume home user, but it is really annoying to have to keep changing servers in hopes of finding the most reliable one.

On a side note: I am disappointed that voip.ms decided to shelf their plans of making 'Super POPs' with SRV DNS records.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by crazyk4952:

(Thanks PX for sharing the 'lucky' server).

Glad that things have worked out.

Dallas seems to be very stable too, the server that is.

------------------------------

The way I see it:

CallCentric fought their way past a bad situation and now will be a stronger company than ever.

Voip.MS, the [same] is going to apply.

Just as tennis player Maria Sharapova had to work on her serve, the same applies to Voip.MS. Sharapova overcame the serve issues and so will they. Just a little more time to install and de-glitch the new equipment.
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Just a little more time to install and de-glitch the new equipment.

Thus my "hope"
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad to sowhatski

to sowhatski
said by sowhatski :

I live in Eastern Canada and when I began using voip.ms, I tried the Toronto and Montreal servers and had problems with them.

I tried a few others and finally settled on the Houston server, and that has been problem-free.

Don't think you have to stay with the Canadian servers because they are relatively close; try others - they have 10 or 11; I do not notice any lag because the ping times are somewhat longer; they are still pretty short.

I've been a lot better since moving to Houston, at least the server, though it hasn't been flawless, but then its VOIP, probably will never be 100% like POTS, but its is cheaper.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
px,

thanks for blazing the trail.
question: what is the difference between the server on the 'did' at voip.ms and the server on the 'sip' device at home?

should they be matched?