Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

t3nk3n

join:2010-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

OpenVPN or VPN option for their customer.

Teksavvy should consider VPN option for both cable and DSL customers, that wants a little more security but a cost more connection performance or put tutorial on their website how to setup a VPN using OpenVPN since it's one of the simplest to setup.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
You realize this would make no sense because TSI would then run the VPN server and those logs can be court ordered as well.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to t3nk3n
Don't even know where to start with this thread...But I will say that setting up an OpenVPN server on a linux box via command line is not for 99% of the users on here...Those 99% are much better off purchasing access to a VPN server from an offshore provider.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
It's not unheard of. Other isps offer it. I'm not sure why but they do as an included service with internet

tired

join:2010-12-12
Countries that legislate the amount of time an ISP must keep logs don't yet legislate the amount of time a VPN must keep logs. So it's a loophole.

notbother

@electronicbox.net
reply to Tx
If I were them I wouldn't even bother. There are a million and a half VPN companies out there just eager to get new business. Next thing you know, people will ask them to set up services to get around geographic restrictions. It just adds more support headaches when something doesn't work out right for the average joe.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to tired
I know that I was talking in terms of a vpn being offered.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to t3nk3n
I'd buy this service as long as they didn't log, hand my info to copyright trolls. Sounds like a good idea for TSI to offer it.

said by rogersmogers :

You realize this would make no sense because TSI would then run the VPN server and those logs can be court ordered as well.

All VPN providers will hand over you information with a court order. I guess you didn't read the article posted on Torrent Freak.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
said by neuromancer1:

All VPN providers will hand over you information with a court order. I guess you didn't read the article posted on Torrent Freak.

Sure, unless the VPN provider doesn't keep logs, in which case there's nothing to give.
Expand your moderator at work

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to t3nk3n

Re: OpenVPN or VPN option for their customer.

I don't think many "legit" ISP's in North America would want to offer a VPN service (except maybe to legitimate small business accounts as part of a "value-added" service of some sort) in order to limit any liability they might be exposed to.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by MaynardKrebs:

I don't think many "legit" ISP's in North America would want to offer a VPN service (except maybe to legitimate small business accounts as part of a "value-added" service of some sort) in order to limit any liability they might be exposed to.

Looking through CanadianISP.com i found a few that did. I was surprised they did but it's there in their offering.

t3nk3n

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to t3nk3n
Surprisingly Acanac is going to be one of them. They will be doing a trial run using OpenVPN, but a the moment they offering SSH tunneling to all of their customers. The main advantages of having a VPN connection ie. OpenVPN are all your traffic can be encrypted at 256bit, which make most traffic packet sniffers sees garbage unless the have both server and client keys. You can access your LAN virtually anywhere securely. MAC address of VPN clients are usually hidden. This should give many a peace of mind.

fluffybunny

@mullvad.net
reply to t3nk3n
just use mullvad.net for your vpn. one click setup and simple to use with complete anonymity. on teksavvy i get 2 megabits/sec with mullvad.
posting from my mullvad connection of course.

fluffybunny

@mullvad.net
reply to neuromancer1
not if you use a swedish provider like mullvad.net who does not keep any logs at all.
i also get 80-90% of my download (2 megabytes/sec on my 2.4megabytes/sec (25Mbps) teksavvy link) even going through a vpn. which means i can stream and surf anonymously as well.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to t3nk3n
Why is the focus of VPNs always on logging and torrents? How about what it's designed for, security? Think of it like jumping on the cafe hotspot, you VPN through it to a known jump point which might be your own ISP, your house or business etc. You bypass unknown issues on the "last mile" which is the cafe whoever is monitoring things there and their ISP. Running over a VPN to get past Bell/Rogers and jump off at the real internet has benefits. With compression it also improves throughput.

So yeah an OpenVPN service that only 1% of the users might understand is a good idea. Ain't gonna happen but is a good idea. Not designed to avoid the law but there's ways around that if that's your only concern. Getting me from the house to the main internet while encrypting and compressing up to that point would be a good thing.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to t3nk3n
Just do what I do get a VPS and set up OPENVPN on it. My host is very P2P friendly and keeps no logs great 1Gbit speeds too. Over a year and no problems. I pay about 40 dollars a month for 260 gigs of space.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
I thought we were talking about an ISP VPN that you use to run *all* traffic through just to get past the incumbent and potentially save bandwidth.

VPS, I do that too for things like Pandora, Netflix, etc. But mine is a very low power service that's more than good enough for OpenVPN. Been running for over a year but only costs about $1.10 per month. Disk space is minimal but the 500 gigs of traffic is all I'm interested in. I also use it on the smart phone when on random WiFI hotspots in cafes etc.

but I digress..

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
I guess I shoudl point out I use it as a private server and seedbox as well lol

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
that is obvious. A very different need than mine though.

t3nk3n

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to vikingisson
That why make it optional feature to their customers or do a trial run to see how many customers sign-up to be their guinea pigs like their native IPv6 before they go live with it. At least that way they will know if there's market for that kind feature and the can take advantage of educating their customers about the benefits of VPN.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to t3nk3n
To most customers, using the connection from home, there are not really any benefits to using a VPN run by your ISP.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org