exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Local Session Manager hang on clients

Completely out of the blue, I have a small group of clients whose workstations are hanging on "Waiting for local session manager" once their system starts up from a reboot. Killing power and starting back up resolves the problem temporarily until the system is rebooted.

All the systems are the same Windows 7 Professional x64 and everything in the domain has identical Windows updates.

I've tried a 2k8 hotfix but that didn't fix anything. Everything started around last week when our WSUS server pushed updates but, like I stated, only a few are experiencing the problem, not every system.

On one not-critical workstation, the only way to resolve it was to jump a month back using System Restore. Can't do that on our finance workstations.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Disjoin/rejoin domain?

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

Disjoin/rejoin domain?

Did that, no joy.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

I have a small group of clients whose workstations are hanging on "Waiting for local session manager"...  All the systems are the same Windows 7 Professional x64 and everything in the domain has identical Windows updates.

You pushed out the same updates to all clients, but clearly the clients are not all the same, so determining what the differences are between these and the rest should narrow down the possibilities.

Did you test the updates prior to rolling out via WSUS? If so you better add one of the anomalous systems to your testbed.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

said by exocet_cm:

I have a small group of clients whose workstations are hanging on "Waiting for local session manager"...  All the systems are the same Windows 7 Professional x64 and everything in the domain has identical Windows updates.

You pushed out the same updates to all clients, but clearly the clients are not all the same, so determining what the differences are between these and the rest should narrow down the possibilities.

Did you test the updates prior to rolling out via WSUS? If so you better add one of the anomalous systems to your testbed.

I did, no issues. Will probably do a P2V conversion on the one finance system acting up for future tests.

I'll keep looking into it.