Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag

Re: Car Battery Reversed Polarity

Unfortunately it is a sealed maintenance-free battery.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by dolphins:

You can give it a try--- I won't say it's impossible, but a new battery is likely to be more reliable from here on out.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

said by dolphins:

You can give it a try--- I won't say it's impossible, but a new battery is likely to be more reliable from here on out.

I opted for a new battery as I feel this battery is no longer reliable and may cause damage to the electrical system in the future.
said by CylonRed:

Wow - this is interesting - I have never heard of this happening...

I've been a driveway mechanic for 30+ years and this is a first for me too.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig

said by dolphins:

I opted for a new battery as I feel this battery is no longer reliable and may cause damage to the electrical system in the future.

Good call, but we'd still love to know if you are able to discharge and then properly charge this particular battery.
I'm also curious to know if you ever determined the cause of the original discharge? I'd hate to see the new battery drained because of a glove box light.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

Since it is a church van it has many drivers and is sometimes taken home overnight by said drivers. I myself have no way of knowing what caused the initial discharge but I know the battery was only 2 years old.

I read up on what could have caused the reversed polarity. Some of the causes are, from jumping a dead battery, recharging a dead battery incorrectly, warped plates in the battery itself.

As for battery itself, it has been exchanged for the new one by one of the other church members who has a church credit card. I believe they get a special discount and don't have to pay tax?