spc
Search similar:

uniqs

vox357
@usgs.gov

vox357

Anon

CenturyLink Modem?

I already have a modem (Motorola SB5101U Surfboard) and I just joined CenturyLink. They have a list of compatible modems and the Motorola wasn't on it. Does anyone know if it really won't work?
Thanks

CLDSL
@comcastbusiness.net

CLDSL

Anon

said by vox357 :

I already have a modem (Motorola SB5101U Surfboard) and I just joined CenturyLink. They have a list of compatible modems and the Motorola wasn't on it. Does anyone know if it really won't work?
Thanks

No, that modem will not work for DSL. It is designed for Cable.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to vox357

MVM

to vox357
said by vox357 :

The Motorola Surfboard series of modems is DOCSIS (cable Internet); with that model possibly being obsolete D1.1, D2.0 at best. CenturyLink offers VDSL, ADSL2+, and probably, in some areas, obsolete ADSL.

You can't use a DOCSIS modem on a DSL service. And if you ever go back to DOCSIS (cable Internet) service, you will probably find your SB5101U won't work well, if at all, on a DOCSIS plant. It is time to deliver it to either electronic recycle, or some museum somewhere, if they will have it.