Search similar:

uniqs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai

Premium Member

Netflix the good is great but the bad is astounding

I like my Netflix, 8 bucks very well spent (when I consider the cost for cable is what it is).

But I have found, the moment I go from enjoying old TV shows, and other similar fare the quality of the content sinks like a lead weight was attached to it.

I watched Yellow Brick Road today. My god how bad can a film actually get? It has absolutely not one single aspect worthy of anything but the foulest of remarks.

The number of times I have liked my Netflix time while not watching a tv series is very shallow in most cases.

It makes me wonder, does Netflix actually pay to air these shows?
It's incredible that they could even consider free an acceptable price.

But I DO enjoy watching TV shows all the way back to my distant youth. And there are so many to pick from. It fills the day.

But if you are thinking of getting Netflix just for the movies, well, during that week of free trial, I suggest you look at just movies before making your decision. For just movies, Netflix might not be much of a deal even at just 8 bucks a month.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I watched Yellow Brick Road today. My god how bad can a film actually get? It has absolutely not one single aspect worthy of anything but the foulest of remarks.

( One film decides everything?)

It makes me wonder, does Netflix actually pay to air these shows?
It's incredible that they could even consider free an acceptable price.

(Free equates to price? What?)

But I DO enjoy watching TV shows all the way back to my distant youth. And there are so many to pick from. It fills the day.

(Love..Hate relationship?)

But if you are thinking of getting Netflix just for the movies, well, during that week of free trial, I suggest you look at just movies before making your decision. For just movies, Netflix might not be much of a deal even at just 8 bucks a month.

(So, what alternatives do you suggest?)

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to Sukunai

to Sukunai
Yet, you watch them. Netflix wins.

Reminds me of the old joke:

"The food at that restaurant tasted terrible, and the portions were much too small!"
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai

Premium Member

said by fruhead:

"The food at that restaurant tasted terrible, and the portions were much too small!"

Occasionally I get lazy and forget to look at the comments. Never a good idea if the film has the word 'horror' in the description.

And yes, If it cost Netflix nothing to add, if the selection was free to them, if they were not required to pay any fee at all, it would have still been a cost too high for them to consider including it.

I do indeed wonder about how it is Netflix obtains the films. Are they actively seeking the titles, or do some of them come there way unbidden like the stuff we find on YouTube?

I can't picture anyone in Netflix actually picking some of these films intentionally. Maybe they just do it to inflate the numbers ie X number of films on Netflix?
Sukunai

Sukunai

Premium Member

It's not like they have no good films of course.

I have watched some clearly self evident big screen favs for the first time via Netflix simply because I missed the chance at the theatre.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Sukunai

MVM

to Sukunai
Some people LIKE watching bad movies - really bad ones. Mystery Science Theater ran for several years showing the really bad movies.

Netflix has many, many, many 'good' movies...

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I love Netflix, mostly for the tv shows, as you stated. For 8 bucks a month, the selection is great. I'm on season 3 of Star Trek: TNG right now and am loving it. I also got started on The Walking Dead and American Horror Story through Netflix. Not to mention Dr. Who, Torchwood, BattleStar Gallactica, several great documentaries, the list goes on and on. But it is not a "New Release" movie service, and anyone who subscribes thinking it is will be disappointed.

I personally love all the 80s horror movies. When I was a kid at the movie rental store those were the aisles I'd hunt; Netflix has a ton of them. They're worth the price of admission to me alone. Personally, if I start a movie and it's horrible, I just turn it off and find something else. Life's too short.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to fruhead

Premium Member

to fruhead
said by fruhead:

Netflix wins when you pay the subscription fee.
Just like the gym wins when you pay the membership.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I actually agree with you on the quality of a lot of Netflix's content.

There would be an extreme increase in value in Netflix if they were to provide a few extra searching options:
1) Movies that grossed over $X during the YYYY period.
2) Movies that someone has heard of before.
3) Movies that someone would actually pay money to watch if it was a "pay per movie" paying scheme.

#1 is, mostly, the only real suggestion here. There seems to be this gaping hole across the streaming marketplaces; there's no where to find and watch A to AAA films from the last 1-5 years. I can pay to rent them on Amazon Prime (and have done so!) but would much prefer to find them for free on Prime or Netflix.
Sukunai
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Sukunai

Premium Member

Bionicrod sounds like me to the point it is funny as we are both watching season 3 of Star Trek Next Generation

I also like drew's notion of more search options.

So many films are listed that I have never heard of before.
And it would be nice to measure a film based on how much was anyone actually willing to pay to see it.

If the film went straight to video then it is likely it will be less than stellar enough times that you won't miss them.

What I find the most funny though, are often the long and entirely incredibly detailed reviews about films only a totally desperate person would consider better than a -2.

It's a shame a 3 rating sends the wrong message. Hey I can be 'ok' with a film and not need to rate it a 4, but 4 sends the message you liked it. They need two additional rating between 2 and 4. a 2.5 a 3 and a 3.5

Because sometimes a film is schlock, but it's at least well enough made, it is just nothing awesome. Sometimes a film is well made, but you see no need to get excited about it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to Sukunai

to Sukunai
Been using the following sites and their tools to find decent films:

»instantwatcher.com/
»abetterqueue.com/

These 2 just found so do not have much experience with them:
»goodfil.ms/films/on_netflix
»www.roku-channels.com/ = more for roku channels

As far as movies offered: my guess is that they are "bundled" and then the rights to show them are sold to the highest bidder. When I signed up for Netflix a year ago or so, I think they had a deal with Encore or some such. Had a bunch of shows and movies in my queue one day and the next day they were all gone.

On Cable you have Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies for example. Anything to make a buck.

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead

said by hortnut:

On Cable you have Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies for example. Anything to make a buck.

TCM is the best cable channel out there. I'd pay extra for that channel long before I'd pay for HBO.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
IMDB my friend. 4.6/10 for that means I know in 2 seconds that I don't want to watch that (unless perhaps it's recommended as unintentional comedy by someone).

Even in Canada there is enough that I don't have to stoop to crap like that. Last night I was watching George Carlin stand up specials. Awesome.

My one beef is that sometimes I will be really into some old TV series but then the audio will be out of sync for an entire episode. Only happened a couple of times though.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I love Netflix! Sure it may be missing a lot of things, but its less than $10 per month, so I do not mind. It gives me something to do on my free time at work.

Stonehawk
Service with a smile
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Madison, WI

Stonehawk to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
Hey, where else can you find a watchable version of the The Human Centipede, and even The Human Centipede 2!

That right there makes it worth the price of admission

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I'm currently watching Sherlock...I wanted to watch something from the beginning while I ran on the treadmill...man what a great show.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

I'm currently watching Sherlock...I wanted to watch something from the beginning while I ran on the treadmill...man what a great show.

I keep waiting for a cop to tell him "No Sh!t Sherlock"

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I don't currently have netflix. But I have tried a couple of times to take a look at their library but that seems to be off limits if you are not a user. Why is that? Maybe if I could actually see their offerings, I would be more inclined to do a subscription. I like to watch some older TV series but one site that claimed they had a listing for Netflix's catalog was horrible to navigate.

fabero74
join:2003-03-28
Gales Ferry, CT

fabero74

Just take a look through instantwatcher.com, category navigation at the top of the screenhopefully will give you an idea if it's for you.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to fruhead

Premium Member

to fruhead
said by fruhead:

HAHA! Funny. I'll have to use that one day.

I have Netflix, I switch back and forth from Mexico, Brazil, Canada, UK and US content.

Netflix does offer some good movies, they have Hunger Games in Canada right now (not US for some reason)..kids liked it.

If you add HuluPlus and Vudu and Cinema now..and for me, MLB..you're set

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
What bugs me about Netflix's movies is the seemingly haphazard way of distributing series. Right now, they have Mission Impossible 1, 3, and 4, but not 2. Starship Troopers 3 (Marauder) but not 1 or 2. I can watch Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, but not the original. Transformers 3 is available, but not the first two. It makes no sense.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by RockCake:

What bugs me about Netflix's movies is the seemingly haphazard way of distributing series. Right now, they have Mission Impossible 1, 3, and 4, but not 2. Starship Troopers 3 (Marauder) but not 1 or 2. I can watch Paranormal Activity 2 and 3, but not the original. Transformers 3 is available, but not the first two. It makes no sense.

Sometimes the studio's only want one vendor showing a movie at a time so they might remove it from Netflix to show it on Amazon Prime or Hulu for example. Netflix isn't the only company with agreements to studio's after all.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to Sukunai

to Sukunai
Wow..so you're basing your experience of Netflix on one low budget horror film?

So..explain again how this is Netflix's fault? It makes me wonder who is shallow here.

I don't watch Netflix for just the movies, but the shows and the anime.

If you really dislike Netflix that much, then cancel. I'm equating this complaint with changing the channel if you don't like the program. No one is making you watch it but yourself.
Expand your moderator at work