aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

DD-WRT as PPTP server. iPhone works, XP error 720

Please excuse me if this has already been covered in the past. I spent a couple hours using Google-fu last night, and did a cursory search of the forum now from my iPhone. This post will be really short, as I am attempting to type it from my phone.

Currently, I am out of town. I have DD-WRT set up at home as PPTP server.

I am able to successfully connect, and tunnel into my home network from my iPhone. I can use a VNC client, and load my home computer's desktop without issue. Same with accessing other services on my lan.

However, trying to connect with my XPsp3 laptop, all I get is error number 720. Google results tell me 720 is incompatible protocols. The only networking protocol that is installed and active on the laptop is TCP/IP.

What gives? Obviously DD – WRT is running TCP/IP, as the iPhone connects and tunnels just fine.

I can't recall what version is on the home router, only it's known as "vpnkong". In the next couple of minutes, I will tunnel and verify what version and post to this thread.

Any of you VPN gurus have any suggestions on how I can start to resolve this?

Thx
--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL

It's v24-sp2 vpnkong 07/31/2012.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to aSic

PPTP is the protocol being referenced. Have you actually setup a PPTP VPN connector on the XP box?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:12
reply to aSic

a) screenshot of what you're seeing, please

b) are you connecting from iphone to XP SP3 laptop when this happens?

Regards

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aguen

said by aguen:

PPTP is the protocol being referenced. Have you actually setup a PPTP VPN connector on the XP box?

What else beyond the "new network connection" wizard and selecting VPN is required?
--

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to HELLFIRE

said by HELLFIRE:

a) screenshot of what you're seeing, please

b) are you connecting from iphone to XP SP3 laptop when this happens?

Regards

a) Shots attached. iPhone settings are similar. Same username/password, same remote IP, encryption level set to maximum, same protocol - PPTP. iPhone works, XP gives me the screenshots.

Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - PASS
Verifying username and password - PASS
Registering your computer on the remote network...
Error 720.

b) Now that I am back in my motel room, its a little easier to type. The VPN server is a DD-WRT router. The VPN client(s) are my iPhone, and XPsp3 laptop. The iPhone can successfully connect and use all network resources on the remote end over the tunnel. The XP laptop is the client having issues. According the pages and pages of results, usually the iPhone would be the one to fail..

I have tried every combination of every setting in the VPN options on the laptop. From my dialup days, "registering on the remote network" involved the "Client for Microsoft Networks". Even disabled, the same error appears when connecting.

--

aSic
application specific
Premium
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aSic

Strangely enough, it has started working.

Used some ideas from the following thread:
»www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1225579

I couldnt remove WAN Miniport as shown, as XP whined that they are required to boot. I did install a second WAN Miniport (PPTP/IP), and did the XP TCP Reset tool along with Winsock Reset.

Took several reboots for the system to stabilize, but finally it connected and started working as intended.

Figured I would post up my somewhat of a solution for posterity.
--

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:12
reply to aSic

Glad you figured it out. After all that information, my thought would've been to try posing this in the Windows forum
and/or hitting up Microsoft for a solution.

From a troubleshooting perspective, if you were completely remote to pc 'HOME,' not much more I can think
of you can do until / unless you have someone in front of it physically.

My 00000010bits

Regards