Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bburley

join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB
reply to Chele

Re: Tower concrete base

The manual for a DMX-68 wants 4 cubic feet of concrete. Your tower is smaller, but it also has to tilt over. My uneducated guess is that the same amount of concrete should work for you.

I also met someone who was concerned about concrete + lightning. He said that a direct hit could split the concrete and his solution was a rubber insulator around the concrete and a separate ground rod. At only 30 feet, I don't know if that is a concern.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

said by bburley:

The manual for a DMX-68 wants 4 cubic feet of concrete. Your tower is smaller, but it also has to tilt over. My uneducated guess is that the same amount of concrete should work for you.

Perhaps you mean yards...??

I also met someone who was concerned about concrete + lightning. He said that a direct hit could split the concrete and his solution was a rubber insulator around the concrete and a separate ground rod. At only 30 feet, I don't know if that is a concern.

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the issues involved (not you...the other person).

The base needs a spot-welded rebar cage with a tail for a bonding jumper to the tower/grounding system.
--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

bburley

join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

said by John Galt:

said by bburley:

The manual for a DMX-68 wants 4 cubic feet of concrete.

Perhaps you mean yards...??

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the issues involved (not you...the other person).

The base needs a spot-welded rebar cage with a tail for a bonding jumper to the tower/grounding system.

That should have been 4^3 feet or 64 cubic feet. I was typing without thinking

The rebar cage makes sense. Do you have a link to any page where I can read more on that?

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to bburley

Referring to what DaDawgs said,

said by DaDawgs:

A thirty foot tower hinged near the middle needs you to set a concrete/cement base about 18" x 18" x 36"...

Look at Rohn's fold-over #55 tower uses.

said by bburley:

I also met someone who was concerned about concrete + lightning. He said that a direct hit could split the concrete and his solution was a rubber insulator around the concrete and a separate ground rod.

That is so absurd, I'll let someone else have a laugh at that.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to bburley

said by bburley:

The rebar cage makes sense. Do you have a link to any page where I can read more on that?

Check out the Rohn link I posted above...