Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Start.ca?

Hey guys, anyone have Start Communications cable in the Ottawa area? I am looking to switch from Teksavvy but have a few concerns....

1) Is there weekday evening congestion on the Nodes/POI's, meaning I should expect slowdowns?

2) Do you pull the full speed you are allocated, or above?

3) Where (city) are their IPs geolocated to? What IP ranges do they access to?

5) What are their logging policies? Websites visited, IP->account assignments, how long, etc.

6) What is their policy on handing over personal information to 3rd parties?

7) Do you have to pay via pre-authorization? And are their any cancellation fees?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Speed is good and usually above the rated speed.

um hm

@videotron.ca
reply to d4m1r

Maybe ask in the Canadian Broadband forum?
»Canadian Broadband

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to d4m1r

1) Not generally, and not on the POI's.

2) Generally, like all cable it's a shared infrastructure but yes good consistent speeds normally.

3) London, Toronto, depends on who's database you use.

5) We don't track any web sites visited, IP assignments to accounts 90 days.

6) We've never done it, would require a court order to do so.

7) Yes re preauth, no re cancellation.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to d4m1r

This is a post that I made the other day in the Start forum, »/forum/r27907875-.

I'm in Craig Henry on the Fallowfield POI and the only congestion that I have is node congestion due to the fact that I'm using an SB5100 modem.

----

I've been with Start since July for cable and I've had zero issues since I signed up, I've had a few questions that I had to call tech support for and the wait time was at most 1 minute each time I called. The staff were friendly, courteous and knowledgeable, they were able to answer my question immediately.

My connection has been rock solid since I signed up for it and there have been no slowdowns. I have the Standard Cable Internet plan, 18Mbps download and 512Kbps upload.

Toronto Nexicom: »www.speedtest.net/result/2434233842.png
Montreal Fibrenoire: »www.speedtest.net/result/2434235810.png

Tracing route to google.ca [74.125.226.56]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  10.106.193.1
  3    28 ms    18 ms    18 ms  69.63.254.205
  4    18 ms    16 ms    14 ms  69.63.250.218
  5    18 ms    17 ms    20 ms  gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.6]
  6    16 ms    20 ms    17 ms  216.239.47.114
  7    17 ms    19 ms    18 ms  64.233.175.132
  8    17 ms    28 ms    17 ms  yyz06s06-in-f24.1e100.net [74.125.226.56]

Trace complete.

You can see my review of Start here »/comment/86431, I included some speed test in the review as well.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to d4m1r

Thanks for the quick reply Rocca!

1) I am in Ottawa, so how many POI's do you guys have out here? I'm in the West end and want to avoid the nightly weekday slowdowns I experience with Teksavvy...I think they hit 80% usage at peak and I notice it...

3) Only London or Toronto? What about Ottawa? I use Maxmind which is very reliable in my experience...

5) Please see my post in the logging related thread in the dedicated Start Communications sub forum
--

silvercat

join:2007-11-07

Start has only one POI, which is the aggregated POI.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to d4m1r

1) We are connected to the Ontario POI for both Red and Cogeco.

3) Red likes to move IP space around, that said we've seen some of it stabilize and we plan to SWIP the space out by serving area in the near future.

5) Replied.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to d4m1r

For others who are looking for a Start Communications (CA) forum subsection but couldn't find it navigating the arcane menu's of DSLr, find the link below.

So far, I am very impressed with the pre-sales process and I'm glad they have a (small but growing!) presence on DSLr....

»Start Communications

--

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by d4m1r:

For others who are looking for a Start Communications (CA) forum subsection but couldn't find it navigating the arcane menu's of DSLr, find the link below.

Hopefully the mods will find the Start forum worthy enough to place it in a more visible area (Canadian Forum section).

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to d4m1r

I'm in Ottawa (Tunney's Pasture area) and have been using Start for a couple of months now. As far as I can tell, no congestion and I'm getting the advertised speeds. I've been streaming a lot (read: too much) HD and generally things worked really well. One time while watching a movie on CinemaNow, I got a warning that it was lowering the quality to SD because of the connection, but that was one time, and it also happened once or twice when I was with Rogers, so I don't think it has anything to do with Start.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

So far, I am very impressed with the pre-sales process and I'm glad they have a (small but growing!) presence on DSLr....

»Start Communications

Bit off topic here but in relation to the Start forum. I had created a New Forum request few months ago and if you have not voted, I recommend you place your vote. »[request] Forum Request: Start Communications!

Also to other who have not voted and would like to see Start Forum, please vote!

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Guru:

Bit off topic here but in relation to the Start forum. I had created a New Forum request few months ago and if you have not voted, I recommend you place your vote. »[request] Forum Request: Start Communications!

Also to other who have not voted and would like to see Start Forum, please vote!

Guru: You may want to create this as a new thread in Canadian Broadband, as others may not see this post.

Also, thanks for reviving the "new forum request" initiative.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2

I had created a thread I believe but MOD keeps on deleting my posts/threads that is related to New Forum Request!

silvercat

Try Again ?