Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeffg1998

join:2004-09-16
Santa Clarita, CA
reply to dslx_gm

Re: Introducing DSL Extreme Fusion Broadband + Phone

Any plans to extend out to Santa Clarita? (Particularly down Bouquet Canyon?) I would love to try this service.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
reply to kenjai7373
I'm not sure I quite understand the question. You hear a lot of noise on the phone... when it rings?

Do you mean when you're talking on the phone, you hear noise/static? Or do you mean when you're not on the phone, and the phone rings, the ringer sounds distorted somehow? Or do you mean something else I'm not getting?

I'm not sure what you mean (please clarify), but one thing you can try testing is to see if the noise goes away if you turn off or unplug the modem.

kenjai7373

join:2013-02-02
El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_gm
been hearing a lot of noise lately on my phone when it rings. is this a hardware or line problem? dl sync max at 4095 now from every jack i use.

E B Mud

join:2008-10-19
Oakland, CA
reply to Goophy629
Another Oaklander here who would love to be able to sign up for Fusion. SO sick of paying ATT 30+ bucks a month for a barest-of-bare bones phone line that I almost never use, just to be able to have DSLX in the house.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_nick
im using the 2wire 2701hg-b combo modem/router and just using the same settings as always. now the max sync is 4096. cant think of the cause for the massive drop in just a week.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to manriquez323
The last time you were working with our Tier 2 support, you had to leave before they were done troubleshooting; you said you'd be available today, so they recommended you should call in when you're available to continue the troubleshooting. One of our Tier 2 techs did try to reach you earlier this morning, but no one picked up unfortunately. I would recommend finishing that troubleshooting first.

You are quite far out, so it's doubtful we'll be able to get you much higher speed than what you're seeing now (the physical distance is simply too great for the higher tones to carry that far), but we should be able to fix the intermittent connection drops at least.

If you do decide to cancel service, then yes, the Fusion service does have a 30-day period during which you can cancel without ETF if you wish.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to kenjai7373
said by kenjai7373:

could it be the router problem? in the beginning it always sync above 4500, maximum at 5100. now its max is 4607 during the hours u mention, then drops to 4000 right now.

No, unless you're using a combo modem/router and you're doing something *very* unusual with it. This is something else causing strain on the line, which is why I'm asking about anything else turning on or changing at 7am that stops at 7pm in your area.

manriquez323

join:2013-03-24
reply to saticoypm
Even after working with Level 2 support the highest I was able to get was 1.6 Mbps. Also, the DSL light on my modem frequently starts flashing, meaning I don't have internet.
This is not what I expected from Fusion. I committed to a one year contract. Is there a 30 day guarantee that I can opt to drop the service?

manriquez323

reply to saticoypm
said by saticoypm :

I just had the Fusion Service connected and am very disappointed. I used to average 1.2 Mbps download speed on a 1.5 service. After the Fusion service was connected I am now getting a whopping 1.4 Mbps download speed. Pardon the sarcasm, but is this the faster speed I am supposed to be getting with Fusion?

manriquez323

reply to dslx_gm
Even after working with Level 2 support the highest I was able to get was 1.6 Mbps. Also, the DSL light on my modem frequently starts flashing, meaning I don't have internet.
This is not what I expected from Fusion. I committed to a one year contract. Is there a 30 day guarantee that I can opt to drop the service?

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_nick
could it be the router problem? in the beginning it always sync above 4500, maximum at 5100. now its max is 4607 during the hours u mention, then drops to 4000 right now.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to kenjai7373
That is curious; the line is working *better* overnight (and I doubt that the lights turning on somehow make the line run better than when they're turned off!). It's not a slow, gradual change, so I don't think it's an overall temperature change; there's a marked drop at 7am which goes away at 7pm. Frankly don't know what would be turning on and off at those times, and if you had a TV or other piece of equipment that were running during those times I'm sure you would've mentioned. It's possible it might be something else turning on further upstream, like maybe a nearby business running a piece of equipment. At any rate, if you powercycle (turn off, turn back on) your modem after 7pm, you'll probably see better speeds than earlier in the day.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_nick
only thing that turns on and off r the lights outside the house set by default. now the speed drops to 4000. didnt have problems be4 maintaining speeds. kind of weird.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to kenjai7373
@kenjai7373: just spent some time studying your line readings. From what I'm seeing here, your line is showing some regular, repeating fluctuation, where the line syncs up a bit better between 7pm to 7am. In other words, at night it's doing better than in the morning and mid-day. Do you have some local equipment that turns on (or off) in the morning around 7am, like air conditioning or heater or the like, which then turns off (or on) later the day, around 7pm?

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to kenjai7373
internet went down all of a sudden even if it says connected. try turning router off to reboot but still the same. call tech support. shut everything down and wait for router to reboot. try internet again. it started slow but now its working. anyone know the problem? got a ticket already so no need to issue one. thanks.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_gm
my speed drop from 5117 to 4607 based on router, which seems to be permanent. any idea y?

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
reply to saticoypm
said by saticoypm :

I just had the Fusion Service connected and am very disappointed. I used to average 1.2 Mbps download speed on a 1.5 service. After the Fusion service was connected I am now getting a whopping 1.4 Mbps download speed. Pardon the sarcasm, but is this the faster speed I am supposed to be getting with Fusion?

The speed that you get is based on the distance of your location from the central office and the quality of your phone line. We don't cap or limit your line at a specific rate. We allow it to sync at the highest rate that it can. Have you spoken to our support team regarding the speed? They can take a look and ensure everything it setup properly.

Thanks
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

saticoypm

@sonic.net
reply to dslx_gm

BartmanLA

join:2001-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_nick
Awesome, thanks for the prompt reply! I am very excited about getting this provisioned, my change date is next Tuesday! I'll be sure to post my results and a updated review for the service! Great job!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to BartmanLA
There will be some brief downtime; unavoidable, as your connection is being physically disconnected from one set of equipment and re-connected to another set of equipment. This is usually done within half an hour or so. You'll be able to see when this is happening by seeing the DSL (sync) light on your modem go out.

After you're moved to the new set of equipment, you will need to update your static IP in your router.

Aside from that, shouldn't need to make any changes on your end. Phones remain plugged in with filters exactly as they are.

Generally, you do not need to contact AT&T to stop billing; they are supposed to stop billing you automatically after the switch. However, we recommend checking with them to *make sure* they have stopped billing you, just in case. Just be sure you do NOT say anything like you "want to cancel service" or you "want to disconnect the line"; just let them know you have switched over to another provider.

BartmanLA

Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_nick
Thanks Nick for the info, I went an ordered it already, I can't wait to see the speed boost I am hoping to get, I'm very close (less than 1/4 mile) to my CO so I am expecting a significant increase. I do have 2 questions, I've seen that I don't have to make any changes to my phone line connections, so I just keep my regular landline phones connected like they are now (with filters) and the new phone service will automatically connect? Also do I have to contact ATT to discontinue my service with them so I don't get billed any longer, or will that disconnect me from Fusion totally? Sorry for being so confusing but I want to eliminate any downtime completely. Thanks again for the great job you guys are doing!

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_nick
i decided to keep fusion since theres no better alternative. one more question, will getting all new wiring guarantee speed increases? if so, by how much? thanks.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to kenjai7373
@kenjai7373: not an error, but you won't see any change because it's not a problem with us capping the line. Even on the circuits advertised as "up to 10 Mbps" we still leave them uncapped (so, if your line COULD run at 20 Mbps, it would).

dslx_steve
Premium,VIP
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA
kudos:6
reply to JimT
@JimT: Disconnect with AT&T is automatic. No need to contact them.

JimT

@sonic.net
reply to JimT
Sorry for the double post... I errored saying Fusion UP... and have corrected

Just finished switching to Fusion from Dslextreme's DSL... 3.0...
The conversion went great and I am quite happy...
Fusion DOWN varies 6.5-8.1 Wish it was a little better.. Will work on house wires and see if I can improve.

Dsl DOWN was at 2.4-2.6

Question, do we need to contact ATT to cancel our service with them or is that automatic... I could find no directions for this from Dslextreme's website..

Thanks for the years of great service!

Jim
Expand your moderator at work

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA
reply to dslx_nick

Re: Introducing DSL Extreme Fusion Broadband + Phone

thanks for the info. i think its just too much to install new lines and its no guaranteed that speeds will be better. i think its just my area that sucks in internet or something is wrong with sonic.net. ill take the former.

one more question. why did my 10mb plan changed to 20mb? is it an error? i dont see any speed increase at all.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to BartmanLA
Once you add in the local taxes, the final price varies slightly from region to region; I'm not in Billing, but I just opened over a half-dozen accounts and even I can see the fluctuations from the different taxes, so I can't give you a number on that one; I'll see if I can get a figure for you from a billing rep on Monday.

With regards to the modem: if you get a modem from us, there'd be the usual $17.72 one-time handling fee, but that's it (no monthly charge for the lease). In your case, you've already got a modem from us, so you don't even have that cost; $0 in other words.

BartmanLA

Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_nick
Hi George, I just spoke with Customer support but didn't sign up yet, I want to pull the trigger on this one, it sounds just too good to be true, could you please spell out for a ATT customer in Los Angeles, what exactly the costs would be, the CSR just stated it would be $44.95 per month (with a static IP that I prefer) but didn't mention any modem rental costs or taxes, so what am I really looking here? I'm a long time DSLx customer and want to stay loyal but I am trying to reduce montly costs from what I already have (DSLx, ATT, Vonage) to a single monthly bill and still increase my data speed. Thanks for your response! Looking forward to hearing about this exciting new service!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to kenjai7373
... well. If you want a second phone line run from the outside to your location, then you're basically signing up for a second account; I'd check to see if your phone box has terminal posts for a second line first, and you may need to have a new jack run inside. If you want to have your existing inside wiring re-done, then you'd need a phone tech; you can have a local phone tech do that (in which case, it'd be at whatever his rates are), or if you'd like we can arrange for a professional install, which would be $150 for the first hour and $85 for each additional hour (so the more jacks you need rewired, the longer it'd take, of course). If you want just a single new jack run, then again, you'd need a phone tech; if we set up a professional install for you, it'd typically be just the one hour (so $150).