Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kenjai7373

join:2013-02-02
El Monte, CA
reply to kenjai7373

Re: Introducing DSL Extreme Fusion Broadband + Phone

also tried a new phone cord and router shows 5338. upload remains same.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA

speed drops to 4443 using the old jack with new phone cord. u have any good routers to recommend? im using a 2wire 2701hg-b. thanks for the help.

Ryanevans21

join:2013-02-05
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to dslx_gm

can you check our line too?

like last week my speed almost reach 4mbps (3.80mbps to be exact) and now im getting 2.20mbps or lower.

my account name is RyanEvans21

askharry7

join:2013-02-15
Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to dslx_gm

I have 2-line telephones in my house - two 2-line wall phones and four 2-line desk telephones. My alarm system is also on the line that I would install the DSL. That means I need to filter 7 places, is that a problem? Does your DSL filters work for 2-line instruments as I understand it takes a special filter.

Also, what would be the cost to have my 2nd voice line on your telephone service (without any DSL). ATT charges me $30 and it doesn't include the free long distance.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

@RyanEvans21: I'll look into that for you.

@askharry: You'll probably want to use what's called an MPOE filter (a filter that gets installed out at the phone box) if you've got that many devices plugged in. I'm not sure about how much it'd be for that second phone line; let me check with with Billing on Monday and I'll get back to you on that.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

@askharry: I checked with our Billing department on Monday and we unfortunately don't have that option set up currently. I checked with upper-management today; it's still in development, and I plan to post an update once it's available, but it may be a little while yet.

slavaluk

join:2000-01-26
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_gm

Hi George,

I've checked with Nick but he wasn't sure. Hope you could answer a couple of questions I have regarding Fusion.

I'm currently on ADSL and pulling 5.25mb/0.65mb with 6-7ms pings to the gateway. My line is in pretty good shape and I'm pretty close to the CO.

Nick mentioned that with Fusion gateway pings will be around 35ms, which seems odd to me unless this is some sort of an interleaved profile. Will my current ping indeed increase 7x with Fusion? That would be a reason for me NOT to switch to Fusion. So, based on my current line conditions, would you be able to provide a more definitive info on what kind of pings and speed I can expect with Fusion.

Anyone else who did the switch for the top speed tier ADSL to Fusion, could you please share your experiences?

Thanks a lot!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

For the record, I said MOST Fusion customers have about 35ms ping. I also told you we cannot definitively tell you what your ping time will be in advance, but your connection MAY be under 35ms ping under Fusion, if you're currently getting such low ping on regular DSL now.

Scio me nihil scire, heh.

Yes, the connection is set to Interleave by default. Fastpath may work well for regular ADSL, but Interleave usually works better for ADSL2+. If you're more concerned about ping time than actual speed, we can usually set your connection to Fastpath instead if preferred... but it's not something I'd normally recommend.

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
reply to slavaluk

Hi slavaluk,

As Nick indicated the connections by default are set to Interleaved hence the slightly higher ping to the gateway. I am finding that with most everything these days the difference isn't critical and that the circuits tend to be more stabled at a higher sync rate. With that said we do have the ability to set a connection to FastPath. You can always request it and we can set it. That generally decreases the speed a bit but if you have a clean line like you indicated you shouldn't have an issue. I would definitely recommend switching over.

Thanks
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

igeneralzod

join:2013-02-08
Pomona, CA
reply to dslx_gm

Hello DSL Extreme,

You're not in my area yet but on your website it says coming soon to Orange County mid - late 2013. My question is do you think I would get decent speed (increase) with Fusion? I'm 7100 ft from the CO and with your 6000/768 package I'm getting around 5200/610.

Thanks

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

Most customers switching to Fusion do see speed increases. You're on the same copper line outside on the street, but you're connected to a DSLAM that isn't artificially restricting your speed - you're allowed to go as fast as the line physically CAN run.

Even customers already at the max of what their line can physically run (meaning they're not really being artificially capped anyways) usually see some speed increase, although not as much as customers who are closer to the CO, because ADSL2+ is able to run across a broader spectrum of tones.

As always, we cannot promise a certain minimum speed; we're letting the line run as fast as it can, but distance and line quality always have the final say. In other words, no speed limit on the information superhighway, but your 'car' will only go as fast as it can with you 'flooring the gas'. If you want to send me an IM with your account info, however, I'll pull it up and give you a best-guess estimate of a prediction.

igeneralzod

join:2013-02-08
Pomona, CA

Thanks dslx_nick for the info. There's no need for you to investigate any further because Fusion isn't even in OC yet. I don't want you to waste your time. What you said is enough. If nothing else I'll at least benefit from the Phone service because AT$T keeps increasing my bill for measured service.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA

does the actiontec gt784wn router work with fusion? thanks.

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17

said by kenjai7373:

I haven't personally used that unit but the specs appear to be ADSL2+ compatible so it should work just fine.

Thanks

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA

said by dslx_gm:

said by kenjai7373:

I haven't personally used that unit but the specs appear to be ADSL2+ compatible so it should work just fine.

Thanks

it doesnt seem to work, might be defective unit. do u have any good fusion modem/router to recommend? thanks.

fusionquesti

@dslextreme.com
reply to dslx_gm

George or Nick,

Hi. Quick question. Isn't Fusion available to all DSL Extreme customers in Los Angeles county? My friend was very interested in upgrading to Fusion, he lives only 2 miles away from me in the same city and zip code, but different sales rep told him that his line does not qualify for Fusion. I'm not interested in upgrading at this time, but my line does qualify and is quite strange if someone only 2 miles away from me is unable to get the same service. Is there a direct number he can call someone to sort this out? Thanks.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

Unfortunately, not that strange. A very large factor is where your phone line is connected to. Fusion circuits need to be connected directly to a CO (Central Office). Some people, however, are not connected to a CO, but rather to an RT (Remote Terminal), which serves as a sort of 'range booster' for a CO - but unfortunately we cannot provide Fusion service through an RT.

Your friend is 2 miles away from you? For sake of example, let us say he is 2 miles south of you. You might have a connection to a CO which is 5,000' north of you, while your friend has a connection to an RT which is 5,000' south of him... which means the distance from your friend to your CO is about 15,560' away, compared to the only 5,000' you're seeing. Admittedly, this is a simplified example, but I hope it helps explain the situation a bit. Two miles is over 10,000', and that's huge when trying to determine speed and connectivity (really, about 18,000' is the max at which DSL service is even possible), so it's very likely that your friend is connected to different equipment than you are.

slavaluk

join:2000-01-26
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_gm

said by dslx_gm:

Hi slavaluk,

As Nick indicated the connections by default are set to Interleaved hence the slightly higher ping to the gateway. I am finding that with most everything these days the difference isn't critical and that the circuits tend to be more stabled at a higher sync rate. With that said we do have the ability to set a connection to FastPath. You can always request it and we can set it. That generally decreases the speed a bit but if you have a clean line like you indicated you shouldn't have an issue. I would definitely recommend switching over.

Thanks

Thanks George and Nick.

I have to admit this uncertainty regarding expected speeds and latency is making me really hesitant to switch.

I wish you guys had a way to reliably estimate these parameters based on the current line condition, especially for existing customers whose ADSL line condition is known.

If I knew for sure I could expect download speeds around 14 to 15 mbps, I would have jumped on this right now.

On the other hand, if I would only see a minor speed increase, with possible 6x increase in gateway latency, that's probably not worth the hassle of switching and disappointment of not getting the full advertised speed.

Thanks again.

Navean

join:2013-02-24
Sherman Oaks, CA

I am roughly 0.5 miles from my CO in Sherman Oaks. Can I get a rough estimate of what my UL/DL speed would be?

Do you have a better modem I can upgrade to that has wireless built in?

How much downtime is there during the swap over?

Thanks!

Gold Coast

@dslextreme.com
reply to dslx_gm

When will Fusion Broadband + Phone become available in Ventura County, CA?

mrvmrv

join:2005-04-15
Buena Park, CA

AT&T currently has a feature called WirePro - you pay several dollars every month, and if you have a problem with your home phone line, they will come and fix it for free. Many phone lines in my area are old and have problems quite often. Will DSLExtreme/Sonic have this feature?

moparoy

@dslextreme.com
reply to dslx_gm

When will it be available in Woodland Hills 91364? Right now it states I am 3600 feet behind something that doesn't let the signal pass through. I am with dslextreme many years and this would be fantastic.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to Navean

Navean, without knowing your exact line quality it's impossible to say with certainty, but as a very rough estimate I'd predict between 7-20Mbps down, and around 1-1.5Mbps up. As you can see, the upstream doesn't vary much, but the downstream can differ significantly based on your line's unique physical quality and loop length. Bear in mind, just because YOU are 0.5 miles from your central office, doesn't mean your loop length is; your line follows street routes and is not an 'as the crow flies' path.

We currently do not have modems with wifi built in, last I checked.

Actual downtime during the swap is typically about an hour or less.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

I unfortunately don't have a precise roadmap of exactly when certain areas will have service available. We're expanding service as fast as we can, but I don't have target predictions on that for you, sorry.

At this time, we are not planning on having any sort of WirePro plan, insofar as I am aware. However, any outside phone line issues are repaired free of charge under our current service offering, so it's only if your inside wiring for your building itself is having trouble that there'd be any charge for wire repair. So, you don't need to worry if the outside lines are old - those will get fixed, and you don't even have to pay a monthly fee. If you're currently paying for WirePro and your inside wiring is having trouble, I'd recommend taking advantage of that (you're paying for it, after all) and having your inside wiring fixed first, before switching over to us.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to moparoy

@moparoy: It says you are 3600 behind something that doesn't let the signal pass through? I'm not sure where you're seeing that. Are you connected to a RT rather than CO, perhaps?

Navean

join:2013-02-24
Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to dslx_nick

Do we get a test period to evaluate the speed of the service? 7-20 is a pretty large range so we can swap back with out breaking the contract? Almost ready to decide and thanks for the help!

moparoy

@dslextreme.com
reply to dslx_nick

We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are 3736 feet behind a remote terminal

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA

I can get 5.3 on the jack downstairs, 4.5-4.9 upstairs, and 5.4 from the NID. So is that the max i can get from my line? i dont think installing a pots adsl2+ splitter outside will do any good. My house is pretty new, built in the 90s so the wiring sucks for dsl since its parallel wiring method. Thanks.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

Yeah, in your case a POTS splitter wouldn't make a significant difference; as you can see, using your existing filters you're seeing 5.3 inside vs. 5.4 at the NID, so the best improvement the POTS splitter could possibly do is to bump the downstairs 5.3 to 5.4.

kenjai7373

El Monte, CA

thanks. can i cancel the service without getting charged the early termination fee? my activation date was 2/11. im getting charged 2 months already.