how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY

[Northeast] Concerns about switching ONT to Ethernet

So for the longest time I thought the big box in my living room was the ONT. Now I know it's a battery backup.

I live in an apartment building - where would the ONT be? I'm not exactly sure where it is and I'm concerned that I will need to run a ethernet cable through my apartment to get it to a router along with the cable that already leads to the backup battery.

For those that live in an apartment building, is the ONT outside of the apartment somewhere? I know the installer had a cable run through the outside hallway into the apartment.

I may end up giving up on the switch to Ethernet and try one of the setups online

EDIT - Why would there be a coax cable coming out of the battery back up?

pommard

join:2002-01-05
Yonkers, NY

The ont is in the same cabinet as the backup battery(the lower doors is the ont part, the top is the battery). Follow the thin cable the was ran in from the outside hallway, and you will see that it goes into the bottom left side. That is the fiber cable. The coax is used to feed the router and your stb's.

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

Grr. Yeah I just figured that out. I'm so frustrated. I spent 45 minutes with tech who said I did not have the ONT in my apartment

Now I'm trying to open the thing but not sure how it's locked down. Seems like something on the side but not sure how to extract

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

Anyone know how to extract the thing on the side? I was told to use a socket wrench but I don't see how I can do that considering it's a flat surface almost flush to the side. There's barely anything there to grab hold to

»dl.dropbox.com/u/2687960/box.jpg

capt jack

@verizon.net

The left door should open, the coax,phone and ethernet are on that side!Try to open it from the top of the ont.That is the customer side and is not locked!

AndyD2k

New York, NY

Got it thanks!! They really need better documentation. Now to call again to switch back to Ethernet

Thanks guys for the help!

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

This ended up being a fiasco. Took 5 hours in total. I kept being bounced around between tech and customer service - none of them really had a clue what needed to be done till the last guy I spoke to

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AndyD2k:

"none of them really had a clue what needed to be done till the last guy I spoke to"

^ This may as well be VZ's tech support's mission statement. Can we clone this "last guy"? :P Thankfully I only have to call very rarely for a problem with my FIOS.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to AndyD2k

said by AndyD2k:

none of them really had a clue what needed to be done till the last guy I spoke to

So in other words they are just like you.

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

touche

I did try looking for documentation / manuals though lol

loatah

@verizon.net
reply to AndyD2k

why are you going from coax to ethernet?

serge87

join:2009-11-29

said by loatah :

why are you going from coax to ethernet?

1. Able to use your own router.
2. Lower latency on CAT5 vs COAX