how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

Older computer IBM Intellistation PC

Recently I replaced a drive that failed in the SCSI enable drive(s) on a Windows 2000 PC that is used for Editing mainly. I feel that there is more to it than the replacement of a Drive that failed which I replaced.
IBM Intelistation PC
Windows 2000 SP3
Adaptec AIC 7899
Total of 6 drives and they seem to be in triplets in size. 3 is one size and 3 is a different size although it escapes me what the sizes are.
Operating System loads and functions but Adobe Premere fails to capture after about 20 seconds and when a file from the video drive is put on the time line and play it the file stutters and does not play correctly. Only way to play is if the file is place on desktop it seems.
I think there was a work partition and a storage partition and the OS partition but I not sure. That is all the information I have.
My question is what do I have to do make the replaced drive active. Just format it in Windows Disk Management? I not dealt with Scsi drives before.
Any ideas how to proceed?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

Was this setup in any kind of a raid array?

neftv

Broomall, PA

I want to say yes since there two sets of 3 drives but I not sure.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to neftv

Well, it does make a difference as to how to proceed with determining the root of the problem.

If the disk drive that was replaced was a member of a raid volume, it needs to be a replaced with a disk of the same size and preferably the same type/manufacturer. You would then have to enter the raid controllers BIOS to add the new drive to the correct volume and hopefully initiate a rebuild of that volume after which the volume would be fully functional.

If you aren't using any raid, then all that would be needed to do is to confirm that the new drive is "seen" in disk management, initialized and formated and given the correct drive letter identifier to match the original disk (failed) disk.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to neftv

Does the IntelliStation have the SCSI on the main board, or is it using an add-in card?

If it's an add-in, see if you can find the actual card model - the AIC-7899 could (IIRC) be setup for RAID, or not. That may help.

The replacement drive - was it the same size as the existing, or did you have to use a larger (probably OK) or smaller (NOT OK...) one? Did you set the new drive to the same LUN settings as the one that failed?

neftv

Broomall, PA
reply to neftv

Thank you for the replies. I am with the workstation in question today. From what I see with the closest manual I could find with the 7899 card »download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_g···ence.pdf I dont see how it could be a Raid setup. Then I not sure why 6 drives are seen as two right now and there was a third one that failed which I replaced but didn't format yet.
I cant seem to get into the bios of the Motherboard either to see if there is any Raid setup. It seems like the first thing that pops up on start up is the 7899 bios then some network card bios then it goes right to OS. I read somewhere that either F1 and Del key or F2 key would enter bios but that is not the case after many attempts.
I am probably just going to format the drive in the Windows 2000 Disk Management if I cant get anywhere with seeing bios.
This computer is from 2001 and after many personnel changes of users there is no documentation.

neftv

Broomall, PA

In disk management I have
Disk 0 basic 8.46GB online healthy
Disk 1 dynamic 68.36GB online unallocated
Disk 2 dynamic 17.09GB online failed
Disk 3 same as disk 2
Disk 4 dynamic 68.36GB online healthy
Disk 5 same as disk 4
Disk 6 dynamic 17.09GB offline failed I believed it was this one that failed and took it out.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to neftv

You have got to get into the BIOS (F1 after the IBM logo according to docs I quickly downloaded). A quick google search of IBM Intellistation came up with many links to IBM support pages. I'm not sure if 'format' is the proper use of the new RAID drive, more likely a rebuild using the Adaptec RAID config utility (possible build into the card ... dunno ... should be CTRL+A for SCSISelect). Research more.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.