spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChuckZ

@hometel.com

s10 4x4 with 380000

My S10 4.3 5 speed just turned 380000 miles and still going. Its my daily driver with the original engine which has never been opened up! Still holds 50 lbs of oil pressure going down the road! changed clutch once due to the pivot shaft wearing out but the clutch was half used! Original everything except stater water pump etc.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

What year S10?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to ChuckZ

not really shocked at all here.

if I remember right, the 4.3 Vortec is derived from the 5.7L 350cu engine. And the 350 is known to be a rock solid motor.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to ChuckZ

Solid truck like the Ford Ranger

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to ChuckZ

Cool!

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

if I remember right, the 4.3 Vortec is derived from the 5.7L 350cu engine. And the 350 is known to be a rock solid motor.

4.3L is essentially the 5.7L minus two cylinders.

I traded my 2000 Blazer 4.3L auto w/ 4x4 last April, it had 185K at the time ... engine ran beautifully, with the exception of an alternator and the remote oil filter assembly, never once had do "under hood" repairs in the ~70K miles and 4 years I owned it... everything was suspension, wheel bearings/hubs or brakes.

...only hiccup in ownership was the whole averaging 17-18MPG thing ... I just couldn't tolerate it any longer with me driving 15-20K miles per year... I was using about 1000G of gas per year, at $3.50 on average I was about $300/mo in fuel.

New (to me) ride is an 03 Civic for past 9 months. I averaged 36MPG in summer and now 33MPG in winter. It's a 5-spd with a 1.7L engine. Fuel costs are literally less than half now... the extra $150-170/mo comes in handy

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I wonder what kind of injection and the year.
The CPI injection is defective. The plastic they use for the fuel lines eventually cracks and must be replaced.
Its about a 10 minute job, but still costs a few hundred just for the part if you change it yourself.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

That's why I asked the year.

Early 160 HP versions used low pressure TBI versus the CPI on the 190 HP motors, but the fuel pressure required just to start the engine with CPI requires 52(+) PSI so it was particularly important to change inline fuel filters per the maintenance schedules or the pump would fail.
4.3 engines also use a offset journal crankshaft to reduce shaking due to the 90 degree design. That crank has a tendency to move front to rear which wears the main bearings thrust surfaces and can even have the crank throws rub the block with high mileage. I had one that eventually caused torque converter issues and accessory belt alignment issues due to the crank pulley run out. There is also a problem with the intake gasket leaking coolant on high mileage motors.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to r81984

The S-10 I used to have was a 1995. Vortec with TBI. Or as I jokingly called TBI, its a carburetor with fuel injectors rammed into it.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports