Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to zinc

Re: [Internet] VPN throttling on Fibe 25?

I presume the modem is the latest model as I had the service installed in early December. And I believe the firmware is up to date (currently says "FAST2864_v6740S").

The modem interface is fully accessible and even says "connected" under "Internet status" even though the internet connection is clearly down (sync-no-surf?). In fact, one time the modem rebooted all on its own.

This situation only occurs when my work laptop is connected to my work's network via VPN. Any other web traffic, streaming video, etc. doesn't cause this to happen. I never had this issue with my old 6 meg service.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

zinc
Premium
join:2004-02-17
Kitchener, ON

That's very strange! A single app killing the connection. Firmware version is the same as mine as well.

What router were you using when you tried fake-bridge? Does VPN work when you do that (even if it's super slow)?

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON

I was using a very old (pre-Cisco) Linksys 4-port wired router. I never did try the VPN thing using that router because of the craptacular speeds I got in fake-bridge mode. Unfortunately I don't have the router anymore to re-test (I gave it to my dad over the holidays to use with his own home network).

I might redeploy my old Linksys WRT54G (that's currently acting as a wireless AP) for router duty.

Ultimately, Bell needs to allow true bridge-mode with the 2864.
--

zinc
Premium
join:2004-02-17
Kitchener, ON

I can see why they don't do it (FibeTV), but they really need to offer an option for it for people who don't have/want it.

Ahh, the speed problems was probably your router. If you google around, there's anecdotes of people using it with Verizon FiOS and not being able to get their full speeds.

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON

An interesting update:

I decided to do the fake-bridge thing again. I did a factory reset of the 2864 (once through the UI and two more times pressing the reset button), set my WRT54G (running factory firmware) to PPPoE mode, plugged the WAN port from the Linksys to a LAN port on the 2864 and crossed my fingers!

Low and behold, the router made the PPPoE connection, obtained an IP from Bell and after almost 24 hours the connection has been stable. I did speed tests periodically and I'm getting full 25/10 speeds. And the toughest test so far, I'm VPN'ing to my workplace using my work laptop and so far so good. I've transferred some big files and the connection hasn't crapped out yet.

Not sure what to say. It seems to work.
--