Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bemis

Re: Another Reason to Not Use CFLs...

said by bemis:

This is some what scary because I do use CFL's quite a bit... in fact I have a "150W" (which are huge) that sits in a silver bowl clamp light, I use it for detail work, so I'm under it, at close range for a few hours at a time...

One thing I have noticed about CFLs is that the light tends to leave me night blind for longer... for example, in my bathroom I have two recessed lights and a vanity light... the vanity is incandescent bulbs and the recessed are CFLs. The emit about the same level of light in the room when position is considered... I started noticing that if I ran the CFLs (regardless of whether I run the vanity or not) when I turn the lights off my vision is completely blank for several seconds... if I run the vanity only, the same thing does not happen. The vanity consists of (4) 60W bulbs and is actually closer to eye level... the recessed are (2) 13W bulbs. That alone has had me a bit nervous as to what CFL light is doing to my eyes...

CFLs produce more blue light, which is what kills your night vision. A trick to preserve night vision without having to actually stay in the dark is to wear amber, or even better, red tinted goggles, or use amber or red lighting. Your 60 watt incandescent lamps are... you guessed it; amber in color.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Raphion See ProfileCFLs produce more blue light, which is what kills your night vision. A trick to preserve night vision without having to actually stay in the dark is to wear amber, or even better, red tinted goggles, or use amber or red lighting. Your 60 watt incandescent lamps are... you guessed it; amber in color.

Interesting... the colors of the lights, I would swear that the CFL is more yellow/amber than the incandescent bulbs (which are meant to be closer to daylight for making sure your complexion coloring looks ok (ex gf... this was serious biz! )

...as for wearing red tinted goggles to the toilet at night... they already think i'm weird, this would put them over the edge