Search similar:

uniqs
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

3 recommendations

kaila

Can't make this stuff up.....

This is already lighting up reddit. 'Bob' a six figure salaried Verizon employee outsourced his own job overseas. He gave up about 1/5 of his salary to a Chinese consulting firm to do his job (programmer) for him, even FedEx'ing his RSA SecureID card to give them access to his machine and network.

He then had all the time in the world to spend his office time for browsing reddit, facebook, ebay, and yes cat videos..... Genius!

»securityblog.verizonbusi ··· od-idea/
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango

Premium Member

If only he'd set up a US VPN for the Chinese developers to connect through, no one would be the wiser!
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

3 recommendations

bigjoesmith

Does anyone else think of "Wally" from Dilbert?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to kaila

MVM

to kaila

had simply outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm. Bob spent less that one fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him.

Too many lessons here to quote... but sheer GENIUS on this guy's part -- get a 6 figure salary, and spend 1/5 of it
for someone in China to do the work you're getting paid the 6 figures to do...

Regards

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to kaila

Anon

to kaila
said by kaila:

He then had all the time in the world to spend his office time for browsing reddit, facebook, ebay, and yes cat videos..... Genius!

Considering the guy was a programmer whose job was to produce code, and having been a code monkey myself once, he didn't just buy cat video time, he probably bought his whole life back. Coders don't just work 9-5, that's office face time and 5 is more like half day.

Not that's an excuse, but speculation on motivations for the crime.

Interesting story. Thanks for posting it.

-Jim

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

fukitol to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
Error establishing a database connection. WTG Verizon!
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila

Here's a cached link from a mirrored Coral CDN- »securityblog.verizonbusi ··· od-idea/

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to kaila

to kaila
shouldnt he have just vpn to a home pc ? , and then re-vpned to somewhere else ? I mean i think he made it obvious.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

fukitol

Premium Member

said by DaveDude:

shouldnt he have just vpn to a home pc ? , and then re-vpned to somewhere else ?

Yep. Set up two Internet connections at home. Establish a VPN tunnel to China through one connection. Establish a tunnel to the company through the other. Make out like a bandit.

See, this is what our country has become. The only way to "get ahead" is to run scams - or so it seems. Payback will be a bitch.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
Brilliant!!
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

Springbok to kaila

to kaila
I guess the employer can fire him, hire the off-shore guy directly and eliminate the middle-man. Wait... many do that already.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
Bob gets the Humphrey Potter award for ingenious ways to avoid work...

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

1 recommendation

altermatt

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

Bob gets the Humphrey Potter award for ingenious ways to avoid work...

Sent me to Google (actually Startpage) for this---never heard the allusion before, but will use it now!

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
and the race is on.........here comes heartbreak........right up the backstretch!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
I agree, if he had routed it through home it would not have ever thrown a flag unless somebody reviewed the timestamps as well. being logged into VPN and local at the same time likely would not flag as lots of people in offices have a bad habit of leaving machines locked vs logged out.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4 to kaila

to kaila
This was a Doonesbury comic from years ago, and also an Onion video.

Assuming the story is real (and it may not be), the guy likely violated Federal export laws and non-disclosure agreements he signed with his company. He has been fired.

I find it amazing that anyone (particularly you folks with an interest in security) thinks what he did was a Good Idea™.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by Bob4:

I find it amazing that anyone (particularly you folks with an interest in security) thinks what he did was a Good Idea™.

Did I miss something? Who among "you folks" here in Security thinks (stated?) what Bob did was a "Good Idea"?

"Genius" or "Brilliant" was stated by a few, but neither are equal to a "Good Idea". (ex: Criminal mastermind equals someone with a Good Idea? No.) Maybe someone here who thought it was genius also thinks it's a good idea too, but that's unknown.

-Jim
Expand your moderator at work