dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

Best way to handle duplicate port issues?

I'll be receiving a new Sagemcom shortly and I want to setup a relatively headache free setup for my gaming/achievement addiction.

I have 3-4 systems (1-2 PCs, 2 Xboxes) that I'd like to hook up and all be open NAT. In the past I've just half assed it, set one system in the DMZ, port forwarded the other and if I needed to use GFWL on PC I'd go in and switch things around.

What's the best way to enable port forwarding of 53/80/88/3074 on 4 devices so they could all be used at the same time?
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

You may think it a silly suggestion, but have you considered leaving it with the default configuration? Out of the box the Sagem does UPnP, which will allow the game devices to autoconfigure the modem to do port redirection on the fly as needed without leaving ports open 24/7.

Manual port forwarding to a device shouldn't be needed for modern hardware/software.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
Speaking as a gamer... UPnP has worked great for me. I can't remember the last time I had to fiddle around with ports. I agree with taraf.... try the default settings first and only forward if needed.

Now if you are setting up QOS ports might become relevant but that's a different story....
JMJimmy

1 edit

JMJimmy to taraf

to taraf
I've always had UPnP enabled, it's never worked properly for me. Even if it does configure properly it adds too much overhead causing jumpy gameplay due to timing issues (packets getting dropped between enable/disable cycles) or connection blocks (ie: I can't connect to certain players unless through a 3rd party)

Edit: I just ran a few XBL connection tests with default settings on the Cellpipe... 34-36 seconds to complete, returns NAT error. The same tests run with UPnP disabled and port forwarding enabled... 25 seconds with no NAT issues.
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
... And some people still put up a stink claiming there's no need for IPv6.

Sorry, I've got nothing useful to add. Just another vote for UPnP if it works for you, but if you need the same external port mapped to two (or more) machines at the same time then your only option is to buy a subnet. And you'd want to prepare yourself for IPv6. But that won't be a solution until you and all your peers are using it.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

Any good articles on subnets you would recommend?
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla

Other people on here would have more advise, but really it comes down to buying a subnet from TekSavvy (assuming you're on DSL -- I don't think Cable has the option of additional IPs). Looks like 2 IPs go for $5/mo and 6 IPs got for $10/mo. Put one IP on your router as you currently do and the other(s) you assign to the machine(s) that you want to have a globally accessible address. Don't forget the firewall on those machines.