uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[WIN8] Defragging SSD's?

I thought I read that Windows 8 does a "trim" on SSD's rather than a defrag. But Event Viewer shows both a trim and a defrag of my SSD C drive. I had set automatic optimization for monthly and analyze is grayed out on the GUI for the SSD C drive so I thought it would only do a retrim once a month. I had initially turned off automatic optimization for all drives. Later, I turned it on for once a month (because I had read it would only do a trim on the SSD) so this is the first time automatic optimization has been run on the C and D drives.

Apparently, there is a bug that causes full defrag to be run on some SSD's on Windows 8 along with a trim. I did not see it defrag the C drive so I am not sure it actually did that. It is possible that the problem is simply that Microsoft did not fix Event Viewer in Win 8 to correctly reflect what is done with SSD during automatic optmization. However, I have turned off automatic optimization until Microsoft addresses this issue. Plus, I intend to call Dell support for further information as (accordiing to the thread linked below) some SSD drives are only trimmed during automatic optimization while others are subjected to a full defrag. I have a Samsung PM 830 mSata 256GB SSD.

»social.technet.microsoft ··· e212c9c/

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Defrag
Date: 1/11/2013 5:14:26 AM
Event ID: 258
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A

Computer: Smokey
Description:
The storage optimizer successfully completed defragmentation on OS (C:)
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Smokey

defragmentation
OS (C:)
00000000D5010000C10100000000000022B651A2296BEDD85E9C8D030000000000000000

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Defrag
Date: 1/11/2013 5:14:26 AM
Event ID: 258
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Smokey
Description:
The storage optimizer successfully completed retrim on OS (C:)
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Smokey

retrim
OS (C:)
0000000014020000070200000000000022B63823DBB1BD381B0700000000000000000000

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

Click for full size
I have a Crucial M4 256GB SSD running Windows 8 Home. After reading both your post and your referenced MS Technet website, I re-enabled the optimization (not defrag) tool in my Win8 system (my system shows no defrag options as such).

After installing Win8 earlier, I had turned that "optimization tool" off, because I didn't understand what it was. I had thought maybe it was just another name for defragmentation.

Today (1/16/2013), after turning it back on, I clicked on the Optimize button for the first time. The function took only about two seconds. I don't think the tool defragged the SSD since the tool took only such a short time to complete the optimize function. Take a look at the picture of my "Optimize Drives" panel above.

I don't know whether some SSDs cannot be identified as such and, consequently, Windows 8 will do a real defrag. I don't think Win8 is doing a real defrag on my system. Even so, I don't understand much of what posters are saying on your referenced Microsoft Technet website. Some seem to have issues I can't relate to.

After I performed the optimization, I reviewed the information posted in my Windows 8 Event Viewer. I found no entries relating to the optimization activity I performed. So, I don't know what is going on in some people's systems when they either see defragmentation activity, or they think there may be such activity, on their SSDs. As one poster said, "As with most things the issue defies being oversimplified...."

Freddy

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
It doesn't do a defrag on SSDs. On an SSD defrag = Trim, since Windows 7.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
It's possible that a defrag is scheduled, and the implementation of defrag on SSD is "do nothing". But it's worth pursuing. Please post the resolution.

--
Technical quibbling: event viewer is in no position to be "fixed" here, it's just a viewer. The "Microsoft-Windows-Defrag" component writes an entry into the event log, which the event viewer dutifully displays. So, the level that needs fixing is the thing that actually did the defrag and then logged what it had done. E.g., if the above theory is correct, the log entry could include a clause that says "SSD, so did nothing".
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to Mele20

to Mele20
Click for full size
I got the same question here about the defrag tool and my Intel SSD.
Is it safe for Win8 to optimize the SSD?
So it is;
7's defrag on HDD is good,
7's defrag on SSD is bad.
8's optimize on an HDD and SDD is good?
I left it alone at the default settings to run it weekly on all my drives.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

7 and up will just do a trim on an SSD drive if you tell it to defrag the drive. Because it knows (as you can see) that it's an SSD