uniqs

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

[Help] Galaxy S3 To Root or Not to.. that is the Qu.

Problem: Unable to get apps to use data from external SD card. They seem only to be able to see the external SD card folder resident on the internal SD card (the 0 card). Dont get me wrong both 'my files' and 'astaro' see both cards but the apps do not seem to be able to see outside the resident card and have another further issue of attempting to import everything where I just want them to know where to get files.

Soln: I am thinking that by plain vanilla rooting, I will have access to either apps or simply by admin rights to do either of two things as follows:

(1) Be able to point apps on the internal card to data on the external SD card (be it books, music, or videos etc), OR

(2) Be able to move apps to the external SD card.

Looking for any wisdom on the above, not guesses mind you but practical advice from experience and/or working knowledge.

As well I am on Rogers and believe the following link is the the best one for what I am attempting to do. My assumption is that simply providing myself Admin (or superuser) rights to access the files within the firmware, and not changing any ROM bits (no additional steps), no tripping of counters, that this does not void warranty.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =1739426
Anav

Anav

Premium Member

bump this seems to be a fairly useless forum. Is there a better place to post this question?

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Not with that attitude, mister.

(edit: Your title is ambiguous, and we get a lot of 'How do I' questions where people don't even look shit up on their own. I would either post a new post, change the title to something about files on your SD card. Other than that, I dunno....if you're looking here and haven't found an answer on XDA, you're probably going to be disappointed)
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
Apps can access data on the external SD card. Under Jelly Bean they cannot be moved to the external card. For example, music, video and photos can be stored on the external SD card and the apps installed on the internal phone memory can access them. If you cannot do this I'd recommend taking the phone into a local store and speaking to them about it.

I'd recommend that you not root as 1) your phone does what you want just fine without root 2) Rooting most likely won't help your situation and what you link to won't either and 3) With what I see posted here, you are going to get yourself into trouble if you root.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Fair enough.

Thanks will search on xda

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

if you are on any carrier other than Vz, root it.