·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn

Premium Member

[WIN7] Extend Timeout: Restart/Shutdown

Click for full size
Couldn't articulate this question to Google correctly soooo...
Is there a way to increase the default timeout period it takes for that somewhat annoying dialog box which pops up briefly after clicking Start -> Shutdown/Restart? Doesn't always appear, but when it does, Windows asks me if I wish to "terminate" or "cancel" the offending process that is taking time to unload before Windows logs off. Is there a way to extend that default amount of time before I'm prompted with a dialog for a decision? The fact is it pops up for about 3-5 seconds then disappears anyways as Windows was still able to close up everything and shutdown correctly. It just needed that 4-5 extra seconds to do so. I don't want to see that prompt unless it's REALLY stalled on something.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

aguen

Premium Member

There is an registry entry that can be modified to increase/decrease the timer used during Shutdown. Not sure if I should post it here. I can IM it to you if that's acceptable.
aguen

1 recommendation

aguen

Premium Member

I'll just drop it here. Usual caveat, backup your registry first before making any changes.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="12000"

The timeout value is in Milli Seconds.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

1) The WaitToKillServiceTimeout controls how long the service controller waits for process-based services to terminate. AFAIK, it has no applicability to processes that are not under the control of the service controller (e.g., normal apps).

Somce the OP's issue is cleaning up the Terminal Service that is cleaning up apps, I suppose it could work for him.

2) Don't go editing ControlSet001 or any other number: use CurrentControlSet, which always points to the values actually being used by the running system.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

Before I do anything, and I'm still not sure if I should try whats suggested... I would also like to mention that the above screenshot is not from my system. It is just one I found on Google to help clarify what screen I am seeing. The process might be HostsMan as I can recall seeing that once in the past while it was performing an automatic update while attempting to shutdown. I can't be sure what service it is at the moment because that window does not display what process is waiting to close. Perhaps because it just finished unloading. All I get is if I want to force a shutdown or click cancel for a few seconds before it disappears anyways.
Dustyn

1 edit

Dustyn to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Well I tried to modify the time from 12000 (default) to 24000 to 48000 with ZERO change. There was no additional grace time given, and the dark screen appears for the same amount of time before automatically disappearing. I'm not so sure if this is the correct registry key? I used CurrentControlSet.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

More likely is that setting has no bearing on the matter at hand. The time limit established by that setting is the limit on how long the service controller will wait, after telling a service to shut down, for that service to report that it has finished shutting down. (After that, the service controller just says damn the torpedoes...)
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

1 recommendation

psloss to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Research WaitToKillAppTimeout, which is a per-user variable for the default Shell; it's still probably not infallible.

dliw
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Elsewhere

1 recommendation

dliw to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Ultimate Windows Tweaker under System Performance.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by dliw:

Ultimate Windows Tweaker under System Performance.

Thanks dliw See Profile.
That application looks promising. It looks as if it will do what I'm asking through a GUI. I'm also looking into the exact registry values that psloss See Profile mentioned to manually adjust the timeout.
Dustyn

Dustyn

Premium Member

Sorry guys. I've tried every recommendation here. And there were quite a few registry options to try. I'm beginning to think I can't INCREASE the timeout delay. Looks like I can only shorten it which would forcibly close things. As previously mentioned the dark screen appears about 5-6 seconds into an initiated shutdown/restart. So that would equal 5000-6000ms. So I thought about increasing the registry key HungAppTimeout from the DEFAULT 5000ms (5sec) to 10000-20000ms. "HungAppTimout" key located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop -> HungAppTimeout. It made no change as the screen still appeared after 5 seconds after I modified the registry key to 20 seconds. Some detailed Google search results indicated that this specific key will not obey a change beyond the default 5000ms.

So it looks like it can't be done... unless there is something else I'm missing?
Only other thing is to enable the registry key option that would force an unprompted shutdown/restart. However, that would defeat the purpose.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Frankly, I don't understand why this matters so much. It gets displayed. Then it gets undisplayed. Nothing is impeded. It's during shutdown when by definition you're not doing anything else.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by dave:

Frankly, I don't understand why this matters so much. It gets displayed. Then it gets undisplayed. Nothing is impeded. It's during shutdown when by definition you're not doing anything else.

Thanks. I was simply curious if there was a way to tweak that timer. Looks like there isn't. It's just something I wanted to research and try tweaking with anyone willing to look into it. As to whether it matters or not is irrelevant.