All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
EricV80
join:2013-01-15
Nepean, ON

EricV80 to jkoblovsky

to jkoblovsky

Re: If Voltage Take Customers To Court File Sharing Is Legal!

said by jkoblovsky:

Also: "Damages becoming punitive" is neither a real thing, nor a defence to copyright infringement"

That's an ideological point of view, just so readers know what you are currently arguing.

It is not - it is the legally uncontroversial wording of the Copyright Act. The Copyright Act (and its regulations) represents the complete law of copyright in Canada (s. 89). All defences available to a defendant accused of copyright infringement are within the Act itself.

I guess I'm out of ways as to how to explain it, but it is simply a matter of fact that copyright infringement is actionable per se, which means it forms a complete cause of action without proof of harm. Several torts do not require proof of damage to be actionable - libel, trespass to land, battery, etc. Copyright infringement is just one more.

Moreover, courts routinely award non-pecuniary damages without them being "punitive damages" - a fortiori, calling something "punitive" is not a legally recognized defence to any tort.
jkoblovsky
join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky

The intent of this was to also get debate on the economic data as well, and also bring that front and center. I think that's a very key point in the discussions going forward.