All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Shadowdane
join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA

Shadowdane

Re: Packetloss on Cox's network - 68.1.4.139

ok I've figured out a bit more specifically when I'm getting packetloss... it seems when ever I'm downloading or uploading over maybe ~4-6Mbps sustained throughput. I start getting packetloss, once the bandwidth usage goes back to 0 the packetloss stops.

Like tonight for example I fired up Netflix on my Xbox 360 and started streaming a HD show which is about 4-5Mbps stream. I jumped on my computer and did a pinged youtube.com for example.

I only started having this problem when I upgraded to a SB6141 modem and the 100/20 package. I had no such issue with my SB6120 and the 30/3.5 package I had previously.

Signal levels look fine I think:

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

This data makes a little more sense now. The trace route you posted this time indicates loss between the PC you tested from and our CMTS. Can you try without the router and see if it's possible to duplicate these results?
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

phxuser to Shadowdane

to Shadowdane
What firmware are you running on the SB6141? I had similar problems until the firmware was automatically upgraded by Cox to SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to Shadowdane

Premium Member

to Shadowdane
said by Shadowdane:

ok I've figured out a bit more specifically when I'm getting packetloss... it seems when ever I'm downloading or uploading over maybe ~4-6Mbps sustained throughput. I start getting packetloss, once the bandwidth usage goes back to 0 the packetloss stops.

Sounds like QOS on the router is kicking in.
Manse
join:2013-01-25
Warner Robins, GA

Manse to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

This data makes a little more sense now. The trace route you posted this time indicates loss between the PC you tested from and our CMTS. Can you try without the router and see if it's possible to duplicate these results?

I am having similar problems when I route through either 68.1.4.139 or 68.1.4.133. I was supposed to have a tech come out Wednesday, but I received a call saying that the problem was fixed on Cox's end. I was still having terrible problems, on an unloaded line, last night after the fix.

I will upload pingplotter outputs when I get home tonight.
Manse

Manse

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
As mentioned

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The loss in your case appears to be mostly random. Can you try without the router and post the results?
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

Manse

Apologies for the delay, been a long weekend.

Unless I'm missing something, it's not random. it's at one of two servers, depending on whether I ping google or something else.

Tonight's scan during a LoL game, in which I was reporting 225-250 ping in game. "normal" ping during the day is under 100 and when I'm having these packet problems it's usually around 180-200.

Feel in the game was marginally worse without the router.

Thoughts?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

This second trace route without the router looks much better. 68.1.4.133 is showing ICMP deprioritization but no issues unlike the previous results you posted.
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

Manse

So how do I fix the deprioritization? Is that the cause of my latency/stutter?

I'm currently in game, sitting at over 200 ping. Hell, I'm an hour south of Atlanta and my ventrilo (tungsten.typefrag: in ATL) is pinging at 150+ ms.
KennyD
join:2005-03-08
Norfolk, VA

KennyD

ICMP deprioritization is nothing to worry about. It isn't going to negatively affect your connection. As mentioned earlier, all that's happening is the router only replies to a certain number of pings within a given time frame. After that it just ignores the ICMP packets (ping) and that's why you see packet loss at 68.1.4.133 in Ping Plotter. This router isn't ignoring regular packets so that's why you don't see packet loss after that hop [68.1.4.133].

Hope that makes sense. Now as far as latency/stutter that is definitely a problem.. but it's not caused by 68.1.4.133 doing ICMP deprioritization.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to Manse

to Manse
As KennyD See Profile mentioned ICMP deprioritization is a non-issue and won't cause any problems with your connection. Comparing your pingplotter results with and without the router leads me to believe the router may be a contributing factor with regards to the issues you're experiencing.
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

Manse

I'll snag a new router tomorrow, but I still had the same issue in game.

Perhaps it's on LoL's end, but noone I play with has the same problem

updates with new router tomorrow.
Manse

Manse

Click for full size
For reference, I found one of the server IPs from another thread. Ping Plotter (with router).

I'd like to get without the router, but SWMBO is using the tubes as well.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Your other ping plotters also looked better without the router so I would try this test again without it to compare the results.
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

Manse

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Bought a brand new router
With and without from tonight (in that order):

I'm at a loss, and the internet rage is building in me when I try to play games. Is there anything I can do?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The replacement router appears to have helped with some of the intermittent loss that was being observed previously. Latency is still a little high but still much better without the router. Which tier of service do you subscribe to and do you have any other Internet applications running?
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

Manse

When the problem started, I upgraded to Premier in the vain hopes that it was a neighborhood bandwidth issue. I haven't stepped back down.

During these tests, the only programs I had running were Firefox (generic speed tests show 15-30Mbps download, Ventrilo, and LoL.

The vent was probably an interesting issue. my ping to tungsten.typefrag.com (located in Atlanta) was ~175 ms, to go maybe 100 miles north. My ping to the LoL servers (according to in game) was ~200-250, and they're west coast.

And again, it's time-related. I played one or two games when I got home with no problems. But once the sun goes down, my connection goes all Mr. Hyde on me.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

It may be necessary for a technician to come out and so some further troubleshooting at this point.
Manse
Warner Robins, GA

Manse

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Firstly, thanks for the help CoxTech1. I cleaned up some other stuff and that seemed to help the issue temporarily. However, I still lag like crazy in about 80% of games. The first two images were from really bad games, the third is from one that I only lagged the second half. In the third, is there anything I can do about the 150+ ping on the 6th and 7th hop. I know the answer, but I have to at least ask.

Should I still call for a tech?