how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Greyowl

@rogers.com

[Windows] Two cascading routers don't share their networks

Hi all
I hope someone can help me understand and fix this problem with my home network.
I connected a router (WRT54G) to a router/modem (Cisco DPC3825 so that I could have a few more physical connections. Basically 3 + 4 wired connections.
The problem comes as at one point I could not "see" any of the two network from the other. Unless I was drinking that day, I seem to remember that both networks were visible. I could see any of the hosts from both networks even though I had the two on different subnets 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x.
I suspect that at one point I enabled Win 7 Homegroup and the nightmare started.
Can anyone please help me understand what's going on?
Thanks

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

The WRT54G won't allow traffic from WAN to LAN. The hosts connected to the Linksys' LAN will be able to see those connected directly to the modem, but not the other way around.
--
db

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15
reply to Greyowl

As clarknova See Profile says, if the DPC3825's LAN port is wired into the WRT's WAN port, there's your problem right there.
If you need more ports for LAN devices, buy a 8, 16 or 24 port switch accordingly.

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Greyowl

Wow high priced posters and missed the obvious simple practical advice. Allow the non-technical, non-trained, cant DNS himself outta paper bag, isnt linux charlie brown's brother, to provide the following......

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
Basically your going to use the WRT54G as a switch/AP and not use its routing functionality. This is accomplished by plugging the cable from the Crisco lan port to one of the LAN ports on the WRT54G. This means you get 3 additional ports (plus wifi if you need it) to attach other devices. As was suggested, getting an unmanaged gigabit switch is probably the best long term solution.

Dat was eazy.

bd and 00000003 inches ;-PPP

--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to Greyowl

i missed the part where he said it was connected WAN to LAN.

what am i not seeing?

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by tomdlgns:

i missed the part where he said it was connected WAN to LAN.

He didn't say that, I just made a guess based on his description.
--
db

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15
reply to Greyowl

...if it's not wired the way clarknova and I have presumed, basic troubleshooting applies :

- can hosts on WRT54G ping hosts on DPC3825 and vice versa?
- can hosts on WRT54G telnet to hosts on DPC3825 on ports 135, 137 and 139 and vice versa?
- do hosts on both devices have all (Windows) firewalls, etc. turned off?
- please diagram all devices and physical connections for the WRT54G, DPC3825 and the associated connected hosts.
Is it ONLY those two devices and the 7? connected endhosts?

Regards