spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

Toronto transit officers charged with obstruction of justice

Five TTC enforcement officers have been accused of skipping work and falsifying provincial-offence tickets against homeless people, allegations which have resulted in criminal charges and the loss of their jobs.

According to a Toronto Transit Commission release, the employees were fired after a four-month investigation that began in the fall and involved police.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-transi···540.html

jaberi

maybe they were in a long line-up at timmy's, why should the public trust these public servant weasels?

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Thunder Bay, ON
reply to jaberi

Ross said the TTC employs 40 transit enforcement officers in total.

12.5% of the officers in question are likely crooks...any doubt that figure couldn't be extrapolated to police forces Canada wide?
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Markie:

12.5% of the officers in question are likely crooks...any doubt that figure couldn't be extrapolated to police forces Canada wide?

Uh, yes? Plenty of doubt. Not saying better or worse, but there's no basis for extrapolation between them.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to jaberi

I am glad they did this. Now maybe the others will do their jobs. I am sure the replacements will.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Markie

said by Markie:

Ross said the TTC employs 40 transit enforcement officers in total.

Around here it would be much higher than 12.5%. There has been about 400 officers charged with something over the past few years here. Out of 850 or so. Although nothing like what those officers for the TTC were charged with.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Thunder Bay, ON
reply to jaberi

I thought 1 in 8 was being overly pessimistic, guess the don't call it snitchner, raterloo and framebridge for nothing.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to jaberi

Transit cops are just people, too...

If you figure 1 in 8 people are ass*oles (and that's an optimistic view) - that means 1 in 8 transit cops will be ass*oles... Difference is they have the ability to write tickets; and are supposed to (as peace officers) be better then the rest of us. We hope.

I do feel the 1 on 8 ratio probably would translate to other police services, and probably just about any other line of work, too... Some people just don't have the level of personal character that others do. Meh.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to jaberi

That's nothing, I'm surprised nobody posted this.

There has been an ongoing case for the last 15yrs about a batch of dirty cops on a Toronto drug squad (a buddy of mine who is in the restaurant business told me about these guys and their antics).

They were all found guilty of on attempting to obstruct justice. Schertzer’s charges (conspiracy to attempt to obstruct justice, attempt to obstruct justice, assault causing bodily harm, extortion, theft over $5,000) bring a guilty verdict only for attempting to obstruct justice.

What was the end result? 45 days of house arrest. Why?

All but one has retired from the force (and the one that didn't was suspended with pay, but now has been suspended without pay and faces Police Act charges.)

»www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/a···e-arrest

A timeline
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Wow, what a slap on the wrist, for 30 years terrorizing the city as a cop...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jaberi

This story pissed me off and then when I read that these crooks are on the sunshine list I got really pissed off.

So the overtime drove them over the 100k mark, how much of that overtime was "worked" when nothing was happening what-so-ever. The real kicker here is what were they doing. I'd love to see that come public.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to jaberi

Why does TTC even need their own enforcement anyways? This should be a police job.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

said by cog_biz_user:

Why does TTC even need their own enforcement anyways? This should be a police job.

It was, then in '97 the TTC created their own 'police' force - which was dissolved again in '09... The "Transit Enforcement Officers" are basically leftovers from the TTC Special Constables, and enforce TTC bylaws only.

The TPS provides 'real' policing within the TTC system.

jaberi

reply to cog_biz_user

well these future cops have to start somewhere....thing is where do they hang out for most of their shift, they are not very visible on their job?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to jaberi

Just reading in the paper , the TTC may try to recover the wages paid out to these guys.

One guy was driving to Milton while "on shift"