Search similar:

uniqs
VanDamn
join:2009-03-31
Vancouver, BC

VanDamn

What do you guys make of this?

Click for full size
A Telus tech came by the other day to install DSL service. Not only do I still not have internet I've also lost the dslam which existed prior to the Telus tech's visit.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

I'd say you let the pizza delivery guy into your house to do the phone guys work

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to VanDamn

Premium Member

to VanDamn
They gave you wireless copper.

jmcneill
join:2010-04-06
Canada

jmcneill to VanDamn

to VanDamn
That may be the technician's way of letting you know that he wired the new line using the blue/white pair going into the house.
VanDamn
Vancouver, BC

VanDamn

teksavvy is telling me this is the extent of their responsibility and that the building wiring is the responsibility of the building owner.

if this is the case, how did i lose the dslam if the telus tech didn't physically disconnect a piece of building wiring.

VanDamn

VanDamn

any help from this community to get my service up and running would be greatly appreciated.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

said by VanDamn:

any help from this community to get my service up and running would be greatly appreciated.

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to VanDamn

Premium Member

to VanDamn
You need to speak to a non-idiot at Teksavvy, given if you described what the picture says, and the fact that you lost service connectivity as opposed to simple not having it, it needs to be escalated.

The Telus tech was an idiot and they need to send a non-idiot there to fix it.

This world is becoming a place two types of people 1 - idiots and 2- non-idiots that fix what idiots try to do.

*sigh*

/Ive had a rough day.... with you guessed it.... alot of idiots!
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to VanDamn

to VanDamn
Thats somewhat hilarious and technically true they Only have to deal with outside wires But for the tech to Purposely sabotage your Inside wire connection thats Dirty.. and likely took him about as much effort as it would have to just hook it up properly
VanDamn
Vancouver, BC

VanDamn

there is more to add but will reserve posting here until i hear back from TSI again in the morning.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Riplin

to Riplin
said by Riplin:

I'd say you let the pizza delivery guy into your house to do the phone guys work

bell does pizza now?
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to VanDamn

to VanDamn
These wires are likely a live feed that are supposed to run to your secondary split point in a traditional circuit. Effectively, what the technician has done here is an atrocity because these wires are supposed to run to the secondary junction for your DSL service, which will be located in the panel to the right of this box.

More or less what needs to be done here is you need to determine which junction point the lines for your DSL service run into. There are several ways of doing this, one of which is trial and error. The bottom ends of these wires will need to be stripped, then re-attached to the junction point to your DSL access box. Remember, these wires are a LIVE A/C circuit and are polarized, so you can actually get an electric shock from touching them directly. Don't be worried though, the shock is not enough to do any kind of damage, even if the telephone line rings. It will only be enough that you'll feel it. If the telephone rings however, again, it will not cause any kind of bodily harm, but if you're touching the bare wire directly (particularly if you're touching both wires at the same time), I can assure you that your hands will VERY quickly come off the wires.

As for the state of the wiring, it is essential to understand a few things. A blue/white wiring suggests that the wires are actually a bridge line, which is used in creating a junction point to multiple different split points. This is most commonly seen in the newer push boxes, such as a 66-block. It also needs to be understood that these wires will have a polarity to them. There is the "tip" is effectively the "hot" wire, while the "ring" is effectively the neutral return wire. The only "down" side to standards is that there are so many to choose from. The breakdown of the standards is as follows:

Original "Traditional" Wiring

Original "Traditional" Wiring compared to CAT3 Wiring

Alas, a lot of people now a days prefer to use CAT5 wiring for their wiring. In such a case, the wiring examples will line up as follows:

CAT5 Wiring compared to Original "Traditional" Wiring

In the case of the jumper wires that the technician used, assuming that they are at least wired to code, the blue wire will link up either with blue or red, and the white wire will hood up with the blue/white or green wire. The only question that begs to be asked here is which set on the service box will be the link through to the DSL line? The only sure way of telling will involve a tester, which can be purchased from somewhere like Home Depot, Rona, or Lowe's. Tracing this yourself may prove to be the easiest way of saving yourself from a potentially expensive technician visit. Once you can determine where the connection needs to be made, you'll be in business. I hope this helps.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Gimli

to Gimli
said by Gimli:

You need to speak to a non-idiot at Teksavvy, given if you described what the picture says, and the fact that you lost service connectivity as opposed to simple not having it, it needs to be escalated.

The Telus tech was an idiot and they need to send a non-idiot there to fix it.

This world is becoming a place two types of people 1 - idiots and 2- non-idiots that fix what idiots try to do.

*sigh*

/Ive had a rough day.... with you guessed it.... alot of idiots!

lol NAILED it in one mister garabaldi !!!!!!