»techreport.com/news/24219/amd-fo···o-nvidia

Oh the web of lies.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4

Good read, do you think AMD's claims are founded?

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Krisnatharok

The interesting question I have is considering all that info was stolen and big charges are being brought up on the execs, can Nvidia legally use any of that without consequences?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Cthen:

can Nvidia legally use any of that without consequences?

I wonder how practical it would be to try and enforce a limitation on their usage...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

If I were in their shoes, I would force licensing over trying to limit it. At least that way they can get something out of all that lost work.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Agreed. It's practically impossible to try and enforce a limitation on usage, as it is fairly easy to prove parallel reconstruction.

An Intel engineer/chip fab tech did an IamA on Reddit a couple weeks ago, and he noted that there is little stopping the tech companies from trying to reverse engineer each other's tech, except that the product of that sort of deconstruction would run slower and be grossly inefficient. It's much more productive to simply dedicate your time to your own R&D.

This sort of thievery though... stealing plans, roadmaps, CAD, chip layout, etc. ... could be more damaging, and it would be harder to prove in court (i.e. if AMD is planning for 2000 cores running at 1.5 GHz out in the next 24 months, Nvidia now shoots for 2200 cores running at 1.55 GHz).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Krisnatharok

More commentary from SemiAccurate--fairly good article:

»semiaccurate.com/2013/01/17/amds···cuments/

There are a couple of things to note about this case, not that it stands out as these cases go, but in this case AMD really seems to have done their homework. In a lot of these types of cases, that isn’t always true, but there are a lot of neon signs pointing in that direction here. For example, AMD doesn’t just allege that things were taken off of their machines with an external drive, they provide the serial numbers of the devices they say were used in the court filings. The temporary injunction that AMD obtained requires the defendants to specifically retain those particular devices as well as their regular computers. In other words, AMD hired a computer forensics team that, well, did their homework.

When someone sues in court and they request a temporary injunction, they are often asked to post a bond in the event that their court case is not proven out. This bond covers any damage done to the defendant based upon the effects of the temporary injunction, and is usually proportional to the likelihood of one side prevailing and the nature of what is being asked for. The one attorney we could catch a quick comment from said that 10,000 dollars is an awfully low bond if the allegations are correct. He noted that shows some indication of the court seeing evidence for serious damage to AMD and very little damage to the defendants for putting up a temporary injunction. Once again evidence that homework was done right.

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

If I were in their shoes, I would force licensing over trying to limit it. At least that way they can get something out of all that lost work.

This is usually how most disputes between Linux and Microsoft go, so I think AMD is going to end up with some steady cash flow courtesy of Nvidia.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have