I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

USB 3 hub causing BSOD's

I recently bought a USB 3 hub (uSpeed H7928-U3) and installed it on an ASUS P8H67-M EVO M/B. A couple of days later I got a BSOD when a USB 3 Lexar flash drive and Seagate FreeAgent USB 3 drive were plugged in. I removed the hard drive and got another BSOD a few days later. I was not accessing any of the devices when it BSOD'd. I removed all devices from the hub and got another BSOD today.

I am using Win 7 x64 and the M/B has an Asmedia USB 3 chipset. Prior to the hub being installed I never got a BSOD. I also recently updated the BIOS on the M/B after the first two BSOD's hoping it would resolve the problem.

I am a bit confused over the ASUS bios update. I get the impression the chipset for the ASMEDIA is not part of the BIOS update. They apparently have a BIOS update for the chipset but I can't get it to install.

Asmedia updates:
»www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

This is the hub:
»www.amazon.com/Oct-2012-Upgraded···duct_top

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

It may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger to see exactly which drivers were involved in the crash.

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and attach to a post in this thread?

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to mm

download011213-13447-01.zip 27,919 bytes
Minidump zipped up and attached

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to mm

Ever since USB became available, I've been looking for a hub with a good rating.

Still waiting.......
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to mm

Contact Asus about the problem. It sounds like the OS drivers handling USB requests across your USB 3.0 controller (the Asmedia chip) are unstable/unreliable. My guess is a bug relating to device unplugging, re-enumeration, or dirty buffers which are trying to be flushed to the device (disk) in the middle of you yanking it. It is very, very unlikely the issue has anything to do with the type of hub/brand of hub you bought.

System BIOS or UEFI updates do not affect the underlying on-board USB controllers. There are BIOS/UEFI updates that can affect interrupt-related behaviour and certain operational modes of a controller however, so upgrading is worth a shot but only if the motherboard manufacturer states explicitly that the BIOS/UEFI updates contains fixes for USB-related things.

Finally: try doing this instead: instead of just yanking a device off the hub, try doing this (which you should have been doing anyway) before unplugging the USB disk. If this solves the issue, then it's an issue of dirty buffers (in which case get in the habit of doing what I describe). If it still blue-screens, contact Asus and make it their problem. The fact that this issue is 100% reproducible should help them greatly.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

said by koitsu:

Contact Asus about the problem. It sounds like the OS drivers handling USB requests across your USB 3.0 controller (the Asmedia chip) are unstable/unreliable. My guess is a bug relating to device unplugging, re-enumeration, or dirty buffers which are trying to be flushed to the device (disk) in the middle of you yanking it. It is very, very unlikely the issue has anything to do with the type of hub/brand of hub you bought.

Finally: try doing this instead: instead of just yanking a device off the hub, try doing this (which you should have been doing anyway) before unplugging the USB disk. If this solves the issue, then it's an issue of dirty buffers (in which case get in the habit of doing what I describe). If it still blue-screens, contact Asus and make it their problem. The fact that this issue is 100% reproducible should help them greatly.

I am not yanking anything off the bus. I can run the system with no USB devices in the hub and it will BSOD. Without the hub installed I can use the USB 3 on the M/B with no issues. I can boot up with the Lexar USB 3 flash drive in the hub, never pull it and get a BSOD. Where did I say I can recreate this problem?

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
reply to mm

The minidump file shows a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) stop error from a "hung processor":

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000019, Clock interrupt time out interval in nominal clock ticks.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, 0.
Arg3: fffff88003165180, The PRCB address of the hung processor.
Arg4: 0000000000000002, 0.

Are you over-clocking the processor?

If so, adding the hub with the processor over-clocked may somehow cause the processor to hang.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

said by auggy:

The minidump file shows a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) stop error from a "hung processor":

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000019, Clock interrupt time out interval in nominal clock ticks.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, 0.
Arg3: fffff88003165180, The PRCB address of the hung processor.
Arg4: 0000000000000002, 0.

Are you over-clocking the processor?

If so, adding the hub with the processor over-clocked may somehow cause the processor to hang.

Nothing is overclocked.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

Can you provide any more minidump files to see if the error is consistent?

The error is usually hardware related but can sometimes be driver related.

The vmusb.sys, which is a VMware driver may be involved in the crash.

Also, can you see if the same error occurs in Safe Mode?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to auggy

Overclocking a CPU would not cause this specific error.

This problem is indicative of either a) a driver that is doing something incredibly broken/wrong (holding clock timer interrupt in suspended state too long), b) a BIOS/UEFI bug of some sort (yep really, could pertain to APIC interrupt configuration), or c) a power saving mode exhibited by the chip (or OS) in which the chip never actually recovers from this PM state in certain situations.

If he had a bad CPU or a "wonky" CPU (i.e. overclocking + overheating), he'd be seeing this behaviour randomly throughout normal operation -- in this case he only sees it when removing a device from a hub, where the hub is attached to a USB 3.0 port driven by the on-board Asmedia USB controller.

One thing I can recommend trying would be to uncheck the checkbox in Windows for the related USB devices (the root hub (Asmedia chip) as well as the USB 3.0 hub itself) "power saving" modes. Windows has never made it easy to figure out the USB topology (what's connected to what), so you may have to try unchecking that on every USB-related device.

If that provides no relief, Asus is the only company that can provide a fix (especially if it's either (a) or (b) listed above).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to mm

downloadMinidump.zip 55,185 bytes
Just to make it clear I cannot recreate the problem. I can run for hours or a full day with no BSOD. I have gone a full day with USB 3 devices plugged into the hub with no errors. I have never plugged a USB 2 device into the hub. I can pull a USB 3 device from the hub and not get an error. From what I recall one of the BSOD's was when I was using Chrome and the other when I was not using the computer at all. What's puzzling is I know I had 3 BSOD's but I only have 2 minidump files?

I googled the issue and there are other discussions with different M/B's and different USB 3 chipsets like the NEC that get the BSOD.

I found one thread where someone was blaming their Nvida driver, so I did update my 550 Ti driver today.

Enclosed are the two minidump files.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

Sometimes dump files do not get created for various reasons.

Your second dump file showed the same Bugcheck 101.

The process that crashed in both crashes was chrome.exe.

So updating the video driver was a good idea.

I might also suggest to update the Realtek audio driver and the Realtek LAN driver.

You should be able to obtain the most recent drivers directly from Realtek:

»www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow···lse#High

»www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow···wn=false

Also, check the Event Viewer logs for any errors that may be hardware related such as issues with the hard disk.