Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Playroom floor material

This is for a basement, but the subfloor will be thick and sealed so that above grade flooring can be installed.

I have a 5 year old boy and a 5 months old daugther.
My son is already destroying our old pine floor which is okay as it's pretty much finished and when the playroom is finished, he'll be doing is abusive rough housing in there (then we get nice floors upstairs).

I was thinking of getting vinyl plank flooring so it looks like hardwood yet is more resistant to abuse than laminate.
However, such material is 3x the price of cheap laminate.

The point being is that once the kids grow up, I want to have a nice floor in the basement. If vinyl won't stay in good shape after their abuse, then I may as well go for laminate (save my money) and replace it like I would if the vinyl was damaged.

What are your recommendations/opinions on the matter?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

The cheapest carpet you get, its going to be replace soon anyways and carpet is warmer and the easiest to replace than any other option

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to alkizmo

I put down Dricore, then cheap decent looking laminate. I really don't care if I have to pull up the laminate in few years. At point we may be re-purposing the room as the boys get older and change out the flooring anyway. With the laminate just un-click and pull up since is is not fastened down at all.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to alkizmo

Commercial VCT tiles. About 60 cents a square foot at Lowes Depot.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to alkizmo

Carpet will feel softer and warmer than anything else, plus it's easy to rip out later.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

I'm against carpet. The kids will roll around in dust and stains with carpet. Plus it isn't much cheaper than 99 cents laminate.

My floor won't be too cold since there's 1.5" of XPS underneath along with some Delta (Like Platon, like the dricore plastic bumps).

Tiles are not so cheap here, about 90 cents a square foot.

In the end, my wife will push for something that doesn't look like a hospital floor (commercial tiles) or a poor family's 1980s home (carpet).

But you guys still give me "options" to show my wife. The vinyl tile is a good contender. It's ugly, but it will take more abuse until it's replaced 10 years down the line.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to alkizmo

I've seen a variety of day cares have SoftTiles (or a different brand's equivalent). If you're looking for something cheaper, they have a outlet for manufacturing seconds with slight visual but defects but nothing physically wrong. Price for the seconds start at about $1/sq ft so it's competitive with cheap carpet and laminate.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to alkizmo

Check out Cork flooring. Acoustically sound absorbent. Soft to walk on. Reasonable cost. I plan on installing a Cork Floor in a condominium apartment I will be moving to. Check this website out: »www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/s/b···flooring

You might also consider Bamboo as it is very durable but much harder than cork.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Mr Matt:

Check out Cork flooring...

I was going to mention that at first instead of the rubber flooring, but then remembered that he said that his 5 year old boy had already pretty much destroyed the old pine flooring. If he's destroying a finished wood floor, a cork floor is going to be no match for him.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to alkizmo

This material should be very durable:
»www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrs···&aident=
With steel floor plate your son will meet his match.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to alkizmo

NOTHING teaches coordination like concrete.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by JustBurnt :

NOTHING teaches coordination like concrete.

Gravel is best. That thing scrapes like "$"%)*!!!!!

but in all seriousness I think with the propositions given I'll stick to laminate.

I was hoping to have more of a debate over vinyl vs. laminate
Nothing beat the price of 99 cents laminate. It feels cheap but damnit, my kids will grow up to see the scratches they made and learn to respect the floor when I change it to hardwood.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by alkizmo:

my kids will grow up to see the scratches they made and learn to respect the floor when I change it to hardwood.

Let us know in 10 years how that one worked out

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

said by guppy_fish:

Probably better than 10 years old carpet filled with milk and juice spills, and chocolate smears

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to alkizmo

Not sure how pricey but what about Ipe? Supposed to be tough as hell.

scott_urman

join:2002-07-18
San Mateo, CA
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

said by alkizmo:

my kids will grow up to see the scratches they made and learn to respect the floor when I change it to hardwood.

Just put in a scratch as soon as you lay it down, it's always the first one which is the worst. Better to get it out of the way at the beginning.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to alkizmo

Why not just stick with concrete, spills and dropped toys will not hurt it and it will last basically forever.

Kids today are way over-protected.

Oh my poor baby may skin his/her knee we must have 3" of padding on the floor.

Booboos heal and teach lessons ...

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by guppy_fish:

Probably better than 10 years old carpet filled with milk and juice spills, and chocolate smears

Hmm none of those will do anything to concrete.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to alkizmo

I don't really like vinyl tiles, but if it's for a playroom with drinks, food, darts, hockey pucks, kids make-up stains, paint, crayon, marker, pen, barf, dog piss, kids having fits and throwing stuff, and a girls barbie stroller leaving black marks I don't see why not. Should be cheap enough and will last a heck of a lot longer than those cheap laminates.

Should last you till the boy is old enough to help you install hardwood so that he appreciates the work involved and won't scratch it paying hockey on it. You could likely put hardwood right over it in the end.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

reply to JustBurnt

said by JustBurnt :

Why not just stick with concrete, spills and dropped toys will not hurt it and it will last basically forever.

Kids today are way over-protected.

Oh my poor baby may skin his/her knee we must have 3" of padding on the floor.

Booboos heal and teach lessons ...

Unless he plans on keeping his kids locked away in the basement, they can learn about booboos when they're playing outside. What's wrong with wanting to create a decent living space?

said by Jon:

Not sure how pricey but what about Ipe? Supposed to be tough as hell.

Ipe is hard, yes. But that's really a Janka rating measurement. Scratches and things, not matter how hard the wood, will still happen. And, it probably costs more to refinish the floor rather than simply putting down cheap laminate and then ripping it out later.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

THANK YOU goober! are we the only ones here with kids?

To HM: ya vinyl tiles might come in cheaper or as cheap as laminate and be more tolerant, but the wife can veto for ugliness.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo

We recently finished our basement (for our older kids to use). For our concrete flooring we went with vinyl plank flooring.

It was probably more expensive at $2.49US / sqft than cheap laminate, but for a basement I wanted something that wasn't affected by moisture and held up well. It also looks darn good (imo) and we get compliments on it.

There's two kinds - a click/lock like laminate (which is what we went with) and a glue to each other kind - both floating. I didn't like the glue idea, since it may not hold up as well. Once I got the idea of how the install works, it was time consuming but not too hard.

In case you care, we got it from...
»www.floorstoyourhome.com/vinyl-f···tyle=729