uniqs
share rss forum feed

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew

Re: [OK] Another day, another Cox outage

Not with the Cisco I can't.

In the Moto, I would have a T3 rarely (1x/week?) but that's it, nothing else.

No, it was including the router.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side.

That sort of activity would show in the modem logs. Can you post a screenshot of them?

BTW, you PingPlotter graph doesn't show your router inline. Is that PingPlotter graph with the PC directly connected to modem?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
reply to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.

But did they do it for a period of time? as from what you have said, it's not a constant issue, but happens often.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to lilstone87
Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.

Do you know if they have tested the lines at your house, to see if there is anything pushing noise/voltage threw them? Because a home noise/voltage issue could easily cause a problem.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to lilstone87
That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.

Well that sounds like a upstream noise issue in your area. As I am sure if there was a noise issue home side causing this problem, one of the tech's that has been to your place would of found the problem. Still it's the job of your local cox guy's to find the source of the issue, and they should be able to lookup modem's around you, to see if/how many others are being affected by this problem. Because if it's a home side issue, people around you modem's would be unaffected by this problem.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to lilstone87
Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bchandler02
With pingplotter, does all hops go red when the dropouts happen? the image above show's hop 3.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02
And I know it's been covered already, but here are my signals. They are the same with either modem, they wanted me to leave the Cisco on for now for the logs since he saw it happen with this modem. (Long term, I'll likely go back to the Moto)

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to lilstone87
Click for full size
Yes, I've been using pingplotter. During "normal" operations everything looks perfect, great times, consistent, etc. Then, I go to 100% packet loss during the outage, and then right back to normal.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bchandler02
Sound's to me it could be a noise related issue within the node, and it's causing the modem to lose sync, but not to the point the modem reboot's. Have you tried running traceroute's for a long period of time? to see what it shows when the internet is working, and not working?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02
Yes, happens with or without.

There is a silver lining to today's problems. Not 2 minutes after the tech walked out, it did it again, this time on the Cisco modem. I ran outside and caught him and he came in and saw it first hand. He was on his tablet and said the modem did not show as online despite him staring at 4 solid lights. After a few phone calls, he said the people that need to look into it are out to lunch and he'd get back to me this afternoon.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to bchandler02
So you have a router connected to the modem?

Does the problem happen without the router connected to the modem, just a single PC?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02
Tech just left, no problems found (surprise?).

We swapped back to my old 3010 to see if it makes any difference.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to CoxTech1
I just called in as it happened again (2x in 30 minutes).

At first, the tech could not see the modem. I rebooted and he was able to see and said he saw the problem as the modem switching frequencies. He wasn't sure why - signal or line problem most likely - but has someone coming out in 2 hours, so at least hopefully they'll catch it during the act for once.

What would cause it to switch, and if I am bonding 4 channels, shouldn't it be able to maintain connection better via multiple channels?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to bchandler02
Yes, the modem must always be rebooted when connecting a different device to refresh the CPE bridging table. Our ability to connect to the modem remotely will not be affected.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew
Also, no, I cannot ping it. I can continue to ping my router, but not my modem during the problem.

It's as if the modem goes offline (but lights don't reflect this). However, I found it very interesting that the agent could communicate with the modem to reset it yesterday.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew
Well that test doesn't work. The modem will not give a new IP address without a reboot.

Apparently I'm going to have another day of hell fighting this thing today.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew
I am using a desktop that is hardwired and a laptop in a docking station that is hardwired. Both run through my UPS as does the networking gear.

When they were out in November, they did have a multimeter out looking for any electrical noise on the coax and didn't find any.

Interesting theory you have - next time it happens, I'll grab one of my other laptops and check it.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to bchandler02
Are you using a laptop or desktop connected to the modem? Is either plugged into a wall electric outlet for power? If it's a laptop can you run it off battery for a while? I'm wondering if it's an electrical grounding/noise issue, mainly due to the description of the very short coax run between the PC and the demarc. A standalone laptop, not connected to ANYTHING but the modem can help rule this out.

Can you ping the modem 192.168.100.1 when you drop connection?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02
Well we're back to complete shit service again. 3 times in the past 2.5 hours I've lost connectivity for 10+ minutes each time, yet nothing changes on the modem.

The most recent time I called tech support. She reset the modem remotely and it came back on shortly after rebooting. This tells me that the modem is maintaining connectivity into the Cox system, but is not routing any traffic.

What explains this?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to bchandler02
Bad things happen suddenly and convincingly. It makes no diff if the cable is one day old or 600 years old. Have a drop put in and keep it for a week to test it. If it not the cable, the next place for them to look is in the pedestal. It is not rocket science. It is a company that does not want to spend money or your problem even though they are causing it. It is all about the bottom line, the Bored (a pun) and the stockholders. It is about not giving you one I bit of help, or one bit of bandwidth that might solve the problem.

said by bchandler02:

It's also odd that this went from none to a huge problem in 24 hours. To me, that points to component failure somewhere.

I am testing a theory right now.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to linicx
I should have added that varmints like moles and squirrels love to chew! You may have one, but, as the engineer pointed out, there may be a pinprick in the cable sheath -- and that's enough to cause a problem. I can attest to the hell one broken wire can cause too. As he said, "There are so many things that can go wrong, and the intermittent problem is almost impossible to find. "
One has to be very patient and very determined to find it. Running you in circles and claiming it is in your house, and therefore your problem is not how to pin the tale on the donkey. Persistence usually prevails. It the drop doesn't help, it may take a year to find IT. Maybe the problem is the pedestal again.

Your next steps would be to call an old electrician .. the guy that has seen all the goofy things that go wrong in a house when it all "looks" perfect to do a whole house wiring inspection. And the phone guy to do a inside phone wiring test and inspection. I had a phone jack that looked wonderful -- until one day I moved a phone line and it fell out of the jack. Go figure. Jack broke.

said by linicx:

Engineer says the only way to test it is for Cox to install in a temporary drop from pedestal to your house.

--

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to MarkRH
Yes, it was in a PVC conduit. When they were here they did check for voltages and such on the line and everything was perfect.

It's also odd that this went from none to a huge problem in 24 hours. To me, that points to component failure somewhere.

I am testing a theory right now.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to bchandler02
Maybe some critter chewed up the cable. When they buried the line, did they just plop the cable in the ground or encase it in PVC pipe or anything? Perhaps the recent changes in weather conditions wore something out with the heat/cold cycles.

One weird thing happened at my folks house in Edmond.. they were having all kinds of weird phone problems.. turns out it was being caused by a faulty doorbell ringer power module sending out RF interference. Have no idea if something like this would affect cable systems with the shielded cables.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
reply to bchandler02
Engineer says the only way to test it is for Cox to install in a temporary drop from pedestal to your house.
--

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to linicx
Ok, is there a way to test it? The cable is literally 6 weeks old and I watched him bury it to make sure there were no splices, etc.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to bchandler02
I'm talking to my systems engineer right now. I read him the conversation between you and Cox tech. This is what he says:

"The drop to your house is most likely defective - perhaps happening in the last 24-hours when you first noticed it. The modem looses connectivity to the Headend when your outage occurs. Why this happens is a million dollar question. It is most likely a cable problem between the house and the pedestal."
--

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to bchandler02
I think we need to go where the evidence leads us which at this point appears to be your residence again. These types of issues are particularly frustrating due to their intermittent nature.