Search similar:

uniqs
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1

Re: [OK] Another day, another Cox outage

I just called in as it happened again (2x in 30 minutes).

At first, the tech could not see the modem. I rebooted and he was able to see and said he saw the problem as the modem switching frequencies. He wasn't sure why - signal or line problem most likely - but has someone coming out in 2 hours, so at least hopefully they'll catch it during the act for once.

What would cause it to switch, and if I am bonding 4 channels, shouldn't it be able to maintain connection better via multiple channels?
bchandler02

bchandler02

Tech just left, no problems found (surprise?).

We swapped back to my old 3010 to see if it makes any difference.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to bchandler02

Premium Member

to bchandler02
So you have a router connected to the modem?

Does the problem happen without the router connected to the modem, just a single PC?
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Yes, happens with or without.

There is a silver lining to today's problems. Not 2 minutes after the tech walked out, it did it again, this time on the Cisco modem. I ran outside and caught him and he came in and saw it first hand. He was on his tablet and said the modem did not show as online despite him staring at 4 solid lights. After a few phone calls, he said the people that need to look into it are out to lunch and he'd get back to me this afternoon.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Sound's to me it could be a noise related issue within the node, and it's causing the modem to lose sync, but not to the point the modem reboot's. Have you tried running traceroute's for a long period of time? to see what it shows when the internet is working, and not working?
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Click for full size
Yes, I've been using pingplotter. During "normal" operations everything looks perfect, great times, consistent, etc. Then, I go to 100% packet loss during the outage, and then right back to normal.
bchandler02

bchandler02

And I know it's been covered already, but here are my signals. They are the same with either modem, they wanted me to leave the Cisco on for now for the logs since he saw it happen with this modem. (Long term, I'll likely go back to the Moto)
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

With pingplotter, does all hops go red when the dropouts happen? the image above show's hop 3.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bchandler02:

Yes, they all go to 100% loss. I cannot ping the modem interface during the drops either.

In the last 20 minutes, I lost the online light (and connection) for about 30 seconds, followed about 10 minutes later by a full modem reboot.

Well that sounds like a upstream noise issue in your area. As I am sure if there was a noise issue home side causing this problem, one of the tech's that has been to your place would of found the problem. Still it's the job of your local cox guy's to find the source of the issue, and they should be able to lookup modem's around you, to see if/how many others are being affected by this problem. Because if it's a home side issue, people around you modem's would be unaffected by this problem.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side. However, he said his meter couldn't check upstream and that's why they had to call others.

They (and CT1 here) have told me that I am the only one in the area being impacted, all my neighbors stay online. But, they can't find anything wrong here, and it has all been replaced anyway.

Do you know if they have tested the lines at your house, to see if there is anything pushing noise/voltage threw them? Because a home noise/voltage issue could easily cause a problem.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bchandler02:

Yep, when they redid everything late last year they had a multimeter out reading all kinds of levels making sure everything was in check, and it was.

But did they do it for a period of time? as from what you have said, it's not a constant issue, but happens often.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to bchandler02

Premium Member

to bchandler02
said by bchandler02:

That was this tech's thought as well - it is only bonding 1 upstream in this area and it may be losing/searching on the upstream side.

That sort of activity would show in the modem logs. Can you post a screenshot of them?

BTW, you PingPlotter graph doesn't show your router inline. Is that PingPlotter graph with the PC directly connected to modem?
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

Not with the Cisco I can't.

In the Moto, I would have a T3 rarely (1x/week?) but that's it, nothing else.

No, it was including the router.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

There aren't any default home router gateway IPs in the PingPlotter post, which is rather strange...

Are the LAN IPs in the default 192.168.x.x range or is it something different like 10.0.1.x range?

If your home router is using the 10.0.1.x range it may cause some odd issues since Cox probably uses that address space for modem management IPs. Most home routers I've seen don't block private IP address space traffic across the WAN port by default.

If you are using normal default 192.168.x.x home router LAN addressing, it's odd it doesn't show in the PingPlotter graph.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I'm using a 192 range. It has never shown up on any pingplotter or tracert.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

That's a little strange in itself. If you're running ping plotter from your PC the default gateway which would be your router should show up just like any other hop along the path.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I agree that it's a little odd, but it seems that most Dlink routers do this for some reason. I've never bothered to figure out why.

FWIW, I never heard back yesterday, so I don't know the status of anything. However, yesterday afternoon, I did see 2 line trucks running up and down the street.
VentShop
join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
ARRIS CM8200
(Software) OPNsense
Netgear R8000

VentShop to bchandler02

to bchandler02
I don't know what part of OKC you are in but a couple years back I was located off of NW expressway and rockwell area. Anyway I was having problems much the same as yours. Modem would go offline randomly and for different lengths of time. Ended up being other people having some issues but I was the first to call so i got the run around for a month or two. Finally other people started calling in and when some line techs came out and started to monitor the line actively they found that noise was coming from an amp about a block away. That amp was repaired and the problem was solved. Took 3 months to fix the problem though.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I just talked to one of the manager here as the problem continues. Some days are good and some are not. Today is one of the bad days, I've lost connection 6 times in the last 3 hours.

He mentioned that he was having the exact same problem at his house and he lives on the other side of town, so it isn't a line problem or anything specific to my house or area. Right now they are suspecting it is a CMTS issue and awaiting updates from Cisco. He said this isn't a confirmed fix, but it is what they are thinking right now.

I hope the updates come soon and fix the problem, but unfortunately I know what dealing with Cisco can be like.
VentShop
Oklahoma City, OK

VentShop to bchandler02

to bchandler02
I have begun having the issues north of OKC in Guthrie as well. I am routing through 10.2.192.1 and having packet drops as well as having issues where the digital cable loses signal. Probably their equipment in the local area.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I have no packet loss. The supervisor I talked to lived in MWC and I am in Moore, so it isn't an area specific problem. He was having the problem at his house as well.
VentShop
Oklahoma City, OK
ARRIS CM8200
(Software) OPNsense
Netgear R8000

VentShop

Yeah, probably a piece of equipment going bad at the co or from their drop in the area to the net. As long as a lot of people are having the issues it will get handled quickly. It's a lot worse when its one or two people dealing with an issue, that makes it a much lower priority.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

They seemed to think it was a CMTS software issue and Cisco is engaged to provide updated software.

I've dealt with Cisco before.... not holding my breath on this one. I've been having the problem off and on for a few months now, but much more frequently in the last 3-4 weeks. If it was as widespread as we think, I'd expect it to be fixed already.
bchandler02

bchandler02

Cox internal guys - do you have any insight to the problems in OKC? 2 disconnects in the last hour, at this point I can't even do my job which is a major concern.

I can't believe that if I am having the problem, others here are, and cox employees are that this is going on for weeks.
bchandler02

bchandler02

bump... any update?

Problems continue, this is beyond stupid. If Cox can't manage to do a simple thing like keeping modems online, they have no business being the government supported monopoly in this city.
bchandler02

bchandler02

Well Cox continues to suck here. Now the problem has shifted from no connection with all lights to full modem resets.

Any of the Cox guys have any insight to what's going on here and why it is so difficult to get this fixed once and for all?

AT&T sucks here, 3/512 speeds max, but I need reliability. I cannot do my job on an intermittent connection.

Pdub
@cox.net

Pdub

Anon

I'm having the exact same problems in the Tulsa area. I feel your pain although my has not been ongoing for as long as yours. I have someone coming out to look at it tomorrow. My has been going on for roughly 3 days at the moment. At first I tried online support and was told "the techs are aware of the issue and are working to fix this as soon as possible with no eta on the fix". Next day I awoke to the same problems and called tech support this time and she was unaware of any similar problems... so odd that the online tech support gave a complete different answer the nite before.

Anyways I'm experiencing zero packet loss and when it is actually up everything is great but this random up and down every 10minutes is unbelievably annoying. Sometimes it is a random drop off connection with all modem lights still on but most times the modem just completely resets randomly. I've tried 2 different modems as well so here's hoping the house call will actually make a difference. (i've tried every other little fix you can imagine in house)

I do not understand how the cox tech poster on here was so eager to help you then after 3 months of your problem no word from him after the initial complaint. I'm beyond frustrated and can only imagine how i'd feel if the problem had been ongoing as long as yours.

I will post stats if the problems persists through tomorrow after the visit.

I'll let you know how it goes and GL to you.

/rage off