share rss forum feed

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

sounds similar

to a slightly different situation i have been dealing with since windows 8 was released.
my telephone number is similar to the microsoft activation/help number 1-855-469-9468 in that if the person who calls it does not dial 1 first, i get their phone call if the area code they are dialing from is the same as mine.
it is extremely annoying to get phone calls all hours of the day and night from a variety of people (even kids!) asking for help with their windows installation.
even after explaining to many of them that they are dialing the wrong number, that this is a private residence number and that they should dial 1 first and then the rest of the microsoft number, they still ask me windows related questions as if what i just told them went through a hole in their head.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Re: sounds similar

said by IllIlIlllIll:

to a slightly different situation i have been dealing with since windows 8 was released.
my telephone number is similar to the microsoft activation/help number 1-855-469-9468 in that if the person who calls it does not dial 1 first, i get their phone call if the area code they are dialing from is the same as mine.
it is extremely annoying to get phone calls all hours of the day and night from a variety of people (even kids!) asking for help with their windows installation.
even after explaining to many of them that they are dialing the wrong number, that this is a private residence number and that they should dial 1 first and then the rest of the microsoft number, they still ask me windows related questions as if what i just told them went through a hole in their head.

ask for their credit card number, then sell them tech support. If they are hard to answer, sell them a new computer.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

This guy had a number that was one off from Papa John's and he had a lot of fun with it.

»www.youtube.com/user/JackStratif···s?view=0
amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 recommendation

Ouch, that sucks.

Verizon somehow had one of our toll free business #'s on FIOS literature. We must've had hundreds of calls over the span of about a year. Had to tell folks to call the 800-Verizon #

Never did get anyone to help, even though I tried calling Verizon numerous times.

Have to wonder how much business they lost due to this one simple and incredibly stupid mistake of not even checking their own # before printing it on some mailer.
slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

i would have too much fun with this.

"yes ma'aam im sure you want to delete all your data"

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

You don't have to have a telephone number that is only similar to a popular number if a large company/organization publishes your telephone number on their web site and also on millions of printed brochures.

Several years back I had a major hospital in Florida do that to my toll free number (that I had been using for several years). After they did that, and until I finally gave up and changed the number, I would get many, many calls per day (24/7) for that hospital.

For a while I tried sending calls to that number directly to voicemail with an announcement explaining the situation, and providing the non toll free numbers for both the hospital and myself. That was not very effective. Aside from doing a disservice to my clients, I still got angry and threatening calls from idiots who assumed that I was running some kind of scam and had "stolen" the hospital's phone number (not to mention a voicemail inbox that was a PITA to manage).

The hospital did (eventually) remove that phone number from their web site, but the printed brochure damage was not so easy to fix. Those brochures had been distributed to tourist information sites and social service agencies in several states; and for all I know, people are still calling that number using the information in those brochures.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.