All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

[CFL] Turbo/Lightning speed upgrade in CFL???

Click for full size
My present speed
Click for full size
MYBRIGHTHOUSE info
In today's Orlando Sentinel was a small blurb about the speed upgrade for these 2 services and price rise? Words 'up to' are used too, not that is what the actual speed will be?

As you can see I've gotten a small speed boost in Lightning both down and up. Basically a 6Mbps down and 1Mbps up speed increase.

What determines 'how much' of a boost one gets?

Article 'implies' a $5 increase for both Lightning and Turbo (now 30Mbps vs. 20Mbps). $5 seems awfully high for such a small boost.

Gary, what is the deal and how does one reach max. speed?

Test above is on a WIRED system through the BH Surfboard bridged to my RT-N56U on a GB connection and I'm running W8.
meach13
join:2007-04-05
Bessemer, AL

meach13

Same in Birmingham have not seen the update.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to ispalten

to ispalten
I've been seeing speeds identical to yours for about a month now. I don't get the paper, and this is the first I've saw the "Up to 60M" claim.

I'm in Port Orange -- 10 minutes south of Daytona Beach.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by weaseled386:

I've been seeing speeds identical to yours for about a month now. I don't get the paper, and this is the first I've saw the "Up to 60M" claim.

I'm in Port Orange -- 10 minutes south of Daytona Beach.

I've been at 40Mbps until today. Yesterday we had a quick power failure and either the Surfboard or ASUS dropped and when it all came back I had no IP Address, but the LAN was OK. Both running computers are on UPS's. Checked the speed then after a full re-boot in order, was 40Mbps...

This change must have happened overnight? I wonder if a re-boot of everything is required? I'll do that as soon as I can I guess?
Nayan3
join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3 to ispalten

to ispalten
Click for full size
rabeatz
join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Hopefully you're not paying for lightning and getting that speed..
Nayan3
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3 to ispalten

to ispalten
No, I have Turbo though and never get anything higher than 12 .

Lightning40
@bhn.net

Lightning40 to ispalten

Anon

to ispalten
Apparently you have to pay $5 more if you want 60/5 RR Lightning speed increase.

Verified with BHN Rep over phone.

This is not automatic you need to pay for the upgrade.

All service level increases (turbo - Lightning) users are charged $5 more a month price hike for faster service.

Alternatively you can stay at your speed and keep paying what you are now.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
Guys...

This is not an automatic upgrade. Those of you in Turbo or Lightning tiers already are grandfathered at your current speed and price. If you want the higher speeds and currently have Lightning or Turbo we need to upgrade you. Your Turbo or Lightning price would then increase by $5.00 per month.

Also those of you on Turbo currently with a D2 modem will be upgraded to a D3 modem with the new Turbo tier unless you bring your own D3. The new Turbo no longer has the boost which kicks in for a few seconds and then goes away bringing your speed back down to 20mbps. Your speeds instead will be consistent at 30mbps all the time.

Anyone who wants to make the jump right now open a direct forums thread and I will upgrade you
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Nayan3

Premium Member

to Nayan3
said by Nayan3:

No, I have Turbo though and never get anything higher than 12 .

Nayan thought we worked on this together...if not we need to because that isn't right.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Click for full size
This is on a wireless connection too.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to TURBO1112

to TURBO1112
damn near 70, nice!

Lightning40
@bhn.net

Lightning40 to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Guys...

Your Turbo or Lightning price would then increase by $5.00 per month.

Anyone who wants to make the jump right now open a direct forums thread and I will upgrade you

Again, like I already posted. "Guys: $5 price increase."

Any takers?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
There have been several.... you keeping me busy today
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Guys...

This is not an automatic upgrade. Those of you in Turbo or Lightning tiers already are grandfathered at your current speed and price. If you want the higher speeds and currently have Lightning or Turbo we need to upgrade you. Your Turbo or Lightning price would then increase by $5.00 per month.

Gary, the announcement didn't make it clear there would be a $5 increase for current users. All it said was they were grandfathered in at the old price....

See »www.orlandosentinel.com/ ··· 978.post

From it:

======
The cable provider's Turbo High Speed Internet now offers download speeds of up to 30 Mbps instead of the previous 20 Mbps, Bright House Networks spokesman Donald Forbes said. Its Lightning Internet service jumps to 60 Mbps from 40 Mbps.

Forbes said the upgraded services would cost "about $5 more" than the existing prices. He did not discuss specifics. The cost for customers who already have the Turbo and Lightning services remains the same.
=====

As I read it, the speed went up, new users will pay the price hike, current users will pay the old rate. No mention of the speed staying where it was? Can't see anything 'better' on MyBrighthouse.Com either?

HAustin
@bhn.net

HAustin to ispalten

Anon

to ispalten
Kind of confused to. So If I currently have turbo I won't see any increase. I have to exchange my SA 2203c modem for a new modem and pay $5 more a month. Or are we grandfathered in as the website says.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by HAustin :

Kind of confused to. So If I currently have turbo I won't see any increase. I have to exchange my SA 2203c modem for a new modem and pay $5 more a month. Or are we grandfathered in as the website says.

You are grandfathered in. You can remain where you are now or upgrade to the new Turbo which does require a D3 modem. It's your choice. There are technical advantages to upgrading that you should seriously consider if you are still on the fence about it.

1) Turbo 20/2 uses a D2 modem and Powerboost or a short term boost in your speed that typically lasts a few seconds. For those few seconds you would see speeds up to 28mpbs in some cases depending on network conditions but it's only TEMPORARY. The new Turbo uses D3 modem and does not use Powerboost so your speeds are a consistent 30/2 approx.

2) Streaming, gaming and other bandwidth and consistency of datarate intensive applications will benefit nicely from Turbo 30/2 and no powerboost. They like it when the datarate remains as constant as possible.

3) Turbo 30/2 users also benefit from an instant upgrade path to Lightning with nothing more than a phone call.
Nayan3
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3

Ahhh now I get it. I guess I will need to upgrade then.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Nayan3:

Ahhh now I get it. I guess I will need to upgrade then.

Want me to arrange for it? If so open a direct forums thread and I'll start right away.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666 to ispalten

to ispalten
I also got a bump on the 20/2 tier. I really wish they would work more on their upload speeds. Since I upload and download quiet a lot I been strongly considering FIOS-fiber even with the negative of Verizon's infamous fees and crappy customer service.
Or better yet start installing FTTH so I can keep them :P.
Thanks anyway.

HAustin
@bhn.net

HAustin to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
So can I just go to the brighthouse office at ucf and pick up a new modem or do I need a Tech to come by ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by HAustin :

So can I just go to the brighthouse office at ucf and pick up a new modem or do I need a Tech to come by ?

We need to schedule you a tech...there is no charge.

freethought
join:2000-01-24
Kissimmee, FL
ARRIS SBG6580
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

freethought to ispalten

to ispalten
OK, so I'm still unclear on what this whole "grandfathering" provision is. Simple question:

I had Turbo prior to the bump and saw speeds of 20/1 solid and as high as 30/1 sometimes.

Do I need to pay the extra $5 to get the 30/1 speeds under Turbo, and do I need a new modem for it?

Thanks!

Mike

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

2 edits

bigdaddy to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to freethought

Premium Member

to freethought
said by freethought:

OK, so I'm still unclear on what this whole "grandfathering" provision is. Simple question:

I had Turbo prior to the bump and saw speeds of 20/1 solid and as high as 30/1 sometimes.

Do I need to pay the extra $5 to get the 30/1 speeds under Turbo, and do I need a new modem for it?

Thanks!

Mike

You are grandfathered in. You can remain where you are now or upgrade to the new Turbo which does require a D3 modem. It's your choice. There are technical advantages to upgrading that you should seriously consider if you are still on the fence about it.

1) Turbo 20/2 uses a D2 modem and Powerboost or a short term boost in your speed that typically lasts a few seconds. For those few seconds you would see speeds up to 28mpbs in some cases depending on network conditions but it's only TEMPORARY. The new Turbo uses D3 modem and does not use Powerboost so your speeds are a consistent 30/2 approx.

2) Streaming, gaming and other bandwidth and consistency of datarate intensive applications will benefit nicely from Turbo 30/2 and no powerboost. They like it when the datarate remains as constant as possible.

3) Turbo 30/2 users also benefit from an instant upgrade path to Lightning with nothing more than a phone call.

freethought
join:2000-01-24
Kissimmee, FL
ARRIS SBG6580
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

freethought

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw your earlier post which said the same thing, and I'm still not sure what "grandfathered in" means.

So let me try it again in two parts:

If I do nothing and keep my existing modem, will I get the higher speeds?

To get the higher speeds, do I need to pay the extra $5/month.

Thanks much!!

Mike
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
If you have Turbo 20/2 you will only see the Powerboost for a few seconds which brings you to about 28/2 depending on network conditions with your current service. You can stay there and your price stays the same and so does your speed OR you can opt for the Turbo 30/2 in which case your speeds will consistently range in the 30/2 range with no Powerboost and you will need a D3 modem and the price is $5.00 more than you currently pay.

From a consistency of service standpoint meaning nice clean and steady datarate Turbo 30/2 is where you want to be. If you don't care then stay where you are.
WinstonFl
join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

WinstonFl

So if i'm reading correctly, we are not really 'grandfathered' in. If we want the consistent 30/2 we have to pay $5 more and pay for the upgrade. Otherwise it is just a temporary kick using powerboost that will last for a few seconds and then really be 20/2. So the release in the paper is misleading as unless we upgrade to the new modem we really will not get the full 30/2 speed. If I read the above posts correctly.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by WinstonFl:

So if i'm reading correctly, we are not really 'grandfathered' in. If we want the consistent 30/2 we have to pay $5 more and pay for the upgrade. Otherwise it is just a temporary kick using powerboost that will last for a few seconds and then really be 20/2. So the release in the paper is misleading as unless we upgrade to the new modem we really will not get the full 30/2 speed. If I read the above posts correctly.

If you do nothing your turbo and price will remain as it always has been, 20/2 with the temporary Powerboost nothing will change.