Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini

Re: Memorial UniversityStudents can't identify continents on map

said by Xstar_Lumini:

My kid is 9 and his homeworks are complicated, more than they were when I was in 4th grade in the 1980's. Sometimes as an adult I cannot understand some of his excersizes, but one thing is true, geography is not taught at all because I'm sure he wouldn't be able to find Canada on a blank map.

Yes, kids are bringing home complex homework, but they can't add, read/spell nor tell time. But they do know things that 99% of the population isn't aware of.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

geography is not taught at all because I'm sure he wouldn't be able to find Canada on a blank map.

Hmm that's odd because the standard Catholic school board curriculum has them tested on all the provinces and their capitals around the age of 6/7.

The public school board curriculum has them tested on all the provinces around the age of 8/9.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

maybe so, but they don't fail kids any more, they just push them through...so they could say the capitol of India is Ottawa and as long as they don't skip school, they pass.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Yup, it's all about making little Johnny feel good about himself nowadays. Why tell him that acting like an asshole is going to make him a failure in life?

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

well, it's also why i didn't buy the government's claim of "We have higher graduation rates (among the best), blah, blah, blah"...of course our graduation rates are high, everyone passes now (as long as you show up).

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm finding even higher education seems to be like that now. The course I'm taking in college should have failed some people based on their lack of respect for their classmates and professors in class (they spoke amongst themselves, louder than the profs constantly). The college still gave them passing grades last semester. The profs are all threatening to fail them this semester though. We'll see how that works out.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

having some friends in the education field, i am not surprised hearing that...my one friend, who is a research prof, believes Universities today are more of a business than an actual place of learning...his said the biggest scam going is where Universities now offer a (i can't recall the name it was given) selection of "general courses" to allow students to attend University, without actually taking anything related to a field...sort of a "Introductory to University" that has very generic class, which are likely ineligible for anything you would eventually get into afterwards...think of a University version of "Grade 12"...just a generic vague course selection to collect $5000-$9000 in tuition fees.
Misaow
join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON

Misaow to vue666

to vue666
Warning, wall of text inc.

Reminds me of a class I took in 20xx in finance at Ottawa U, nights 7:30-10:30 (info withheld to avoid any issues). I forget the name of the class but it's where students were introduced to FIFO and LIFO (in french mind you, PEPS, DEPS).

Anyways, I only went to 3 classes out of the semester because the learning environment in class was very destructive. 1st class, mid term and class project presentation. I don't count the final exam as a class.

Right off the bat in the first class the teacher could not control the class, everyone was talking over each other, the slides in the presentation were in English (french class), we were not given a break at all during the 3hrs and so on. I opted to skip the classes and simply read the slides/class materials on my own time since the class had no actual homework to hand in, only mid-term, final and class project.

I showed up to the mid-term, teacher threatened to flunk me cause he didn't know who I was, let me do the mid-term anyways stating I would not be getting a good grade. Blow through the mid-term and leave well before anyone else, including my very good friend who whoops me in any subject.

Next class, according to my friend, the teacher corrected the mid-term and was very angry that over 30% of the class got below the 45% passing mark, and that 80% of the class had under 60%. Only 2 people got above 80%, myself at 96.4% and my friend at 95.2%. During the correction of the exam the teacher apparently did not let anyone take notes on the correct answers, nor did he let them keep a copy of there exams. Apparently I was blamed for his inability to grade curve anyone.

Cue final exam time, I arrive in the gymnasium and the teacher specifically arranged the names so I would sit in the desk directly in front of his. I finish the exam extremely early (45minutes for a 3hrs exam) and the teacher told me when I handed my copy in that he would ensure that I failed the class.

I passed with an A- (he dinged me hard on the class project) and to my knowledge no one in the class failed, despite them stating that the final was impossible and having failed the mid-term... They must all have gotten A+s on the groups projects... Anyways I was accused of cheating because the teacher had never seen a student capable of learning his material without actually being present in the class. Turns out I was not cheating and a comity formally apologized to me and stuff.

And no I did not do this for every class, only 1 other class was I able to perform this glorious task. I almost failed 3 classes in total, but I mean come on... those HR classes are total BS.

TL;DR
Teacher could not believe it was not butter!

Also sorry if I wasted 5 minutes of your time, and English spelling.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

That's more or less why I had so much trouble in college. And at the very end, I was showing up only to hand in assignments and do tests. Teachers were having trouble allowing me to even write the exams because they had no idea who I was.

I've now gone back to university part time though. The online courses (distance education program as my school calls it) are just awesome.

I have no one bothering me, wasting time with stupid questions because they're unable to pay attention or do the required work. I just need to make sure to email my assignments on time and show up for the exam in class. The rest is all up to me in my own house.

I'm actually finding myself enjoying going back to school with this program, even if the extra work can take it's toll on my free time.

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

It's funny. I went back to college and I have had to complain to the profs about how rude people are in the class since they speak over the profs while screwing around all the time. The one prof said to me that I should be happy knowing that those people are going to fail. I told him that I was happy with that, but that I'm still not happy that MY ability to learn is suffering because of them.

I don't care if they've paid tuition. If they aren't there to learn, they should be kicked out.