uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Hyrules

Re: Another Reason to Not Use CFLs...

said by Hyrules:

Same thing happened to me as jkj860. I recently remove a CFL that wasn't working. I had a horrible burned smell coming for it and th base where the tube connect with the base of the light was burned. I now use LED lighting. Cost alot less in electricity and generate alot less of eat. you can remove the bulb even after hours of use.

LED's don't use massively less electricity than CFL's. I've got both and the wattage is very close, within 2 watts. And LED's get hot too - the Ecosmart 40w LED's I've got in my ceiling fans get very hot in the heatsink area. As do the Ecosmart MR16's I've got in our track lighting.

I like LED's a little better than CFL's as they are instant on and, in theory should last longer. I do use CFL's as LED's cannot be used in enclosed fixtures at this time. The CFL's I get make no mention of not being able to use them in enclosed fixtures.

We've moved into a new house and I'm going around replacing the incans with more efficient light (previous owners loved that nasty incan light). Fixtures I think we will get rid of in the next year or so get CFL's. Fixtures we're keeping get LED.

Hyrules

join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·FreePhoneLine
·Videotron

It's kinda strange that your LED gets hot because i have both Light buld led and GU10 led and the are warm but not hot. I can remove them by hand. The buld and the GU10 are equivalent to 50w lights. I recently replace halogen GU10 because they were overheating the recessed socket in the ceiling. The LED are philips hue Lightbulb and stay warm to the touch from base to glass even at max power. Do you use dimmers with those ? some might not be dimmable.

--
- Technicien en informatique [A+]
- Chasseur d'orage

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

said by Hyrules:

It's kinda strange that your LED gets hot because i have both Light buld led and GU10 led and the are warm but not hot. I can remove them by hand. The buld and the GU10 are equivalent to 50w lights. I recently replace halogen GU10 because they were overheating the recessed socket in the ceiling. The LED are philips hue Lightbulb and stay warm to the touch from base to glass even at max power. Do you use dimmers with those ? some might not be dimmable.

No dimmers - just the regular old MR16's in Ecosmart from Home Depot. They are in a 5 fixture light and they seem to work fine (one buzzes and I'll get that swapped out) but do seem to get warm.