spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

maynard581

join:2009-07-30

[Connectivity] Need to extend wifi range

Probably an old and worn out subject but could not find need info when I looked around.

My internet service is via Comcast/Xfinity. The modem/router is a combination and has a model number of SMCD3GNV.

This modem is located at one end of my house and I would like to have wireless internet service at the other, approximately 70 feet. The signal currently has to go thru about 5 walls and appliances in the kitchen for it to reach my "wanted" destination. Currently, the signal is very weak to no connection.

I've read several forums, some say you can't extend the signal of this SMCD3GNV. What they would suggest is to "bridge the gateway", thereby removing the wifi function of this rig, install a new router and hopefully if that works,great.... if not then extend that signal.

Others disagree including the guy at Comcast that I just chatted with. He started out by saying all I need to do was install a "wireless extender". When I mentioned the info I had obtained from a forum about not being able to extend the signal of the SMCD3GNV, he started back tracking and could never explain what specifically I had to do. Felt like I wasted 20 minutes with this guy.

so my questions to the experts here....

1) Can I extend the signal of a SMCD3GNV wirelessly? Can I buy an extender, plug it about half way to where I want a better signal and have it work.... wirelessly?

2) Can I extend the signal of this SMCD3GNV by hard-wiring from this modem/router to a router (or extender or ????) in the other end of my house and have it transmit? I have a ZyXEL X-550 I'm not using....

3) Do I have to "bridge the gateway" in this SMCD3GNV, install a router close by and then try and extend?

\Any advice would be greatly appreciated

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
Can you run some Ethernet cable to a point near the middle of the house? If so, you could disable the wireless on the gateway, and then connect a wireless access point (AP) there. An access point is just a wireless router without the router part.

You could also dump the gateway and use a separate modem and router. Some routers may have better power output, antennas, and weak signal support.

maynard581

Thanks for the response

My home is long and narrow so to speak, probably 30' by 90'. The Comcast gateway (SMCD3GNV) is located at one end and I'm trying to get decent signal at the other end. I can't move the SMCD3GNV because that is where it is wired into the phone system. Also where the internet cable enters the house.

I do have a wire available from the gateway area to the other end of the house that extends in the crawl space. I could hook that to the SMCD3GNV but I'm don't think that will get me anything unless you know otherwise. I have a ZyXEL X-550 router that is not being used.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
What kind of wire is it that's in the crawl space?

maynard581

Regular Ethernet wire. I used it before when I had a clearwire modem at the other end of the house... had the clearwire modem, the Zyxel router, ran the wire to the area the current SMCD3GNV is located.

Sorry, hopefully not to confusing

maynard581

Tried something else...

I connected the Zyxel router to the SMCD3GNV via that Ethernet wire at the other end of the house.

It provides good signal but... it is an "unsecure" signal. I tried accessing that Zyxel router to encrypt, both wired and wireless and could not.

So now I have signal but no security...

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
Think you need to call Comcast first and have the gateway disabled so the second router works correctly.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

maynard581

Then I would lose wireless capability at the other end of the house... where the comcast modem/router is located

anon623

@mich.net
reply to maynard581
The Windsurfer should fix your issue. It might look a bit cheap but it will work perfectly with your setup.

Ez-12
»www.freeantennas.com/projects/te···dex.html

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to maynard581
You don't need to buy anything. Just Use the Zyxel router as a wireless AP. Disable DHCP on it, and then plug the ethernet cable into the LAN side, NOT WAN. Then you can setup the wifi to have the e. exact same settings as your SMC router as the other end of the house. Then you will have wifi at both ends and you can roam between the AP's.

maynard581

Thanks but... not sure how to "disable the DHCP on it".

Can you help me understand how to do that?

Remember, I was not able to access the Zyxel using the wire or the wireless...

Kara

@comcast.net
reply to maynard581
call see if can get the gateway modem move to center local in house, it cost to move an emta with phone service but if can then better range when you use own router

ComTech 4
Premium
join:2002-11-28
USA
reply to maynard581
What is the model of the Zyxel router?

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to maynard581
I use the D-Link DAP-1320 WiFi Range Entender. It is 802.11g/n, supports WPA/WPA2, WPS Setup, and works with any WiFi device. I suggest looking into it..
»www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutio···extender

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···daP-1320
--
Bill - Hattiesburg, MS - »www.billhamel.net

maynard581

reply to ComTech 4
x-550

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to maynard581
Try these. I got em, work great....granted I dont have an SMC, but I dont think that makes a difference.

»www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powerline···extender

There are a few other repeaters that might help you out too, depending if you want only wireless there, or an option of a hardline.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to maynard581

maynard581

Found this when reviewing comments on the above range extenders

only to find out that my Xfinity modem Model # SMCD3GNV does not work with range extenders. Tech support said that Xfinity did a firmware update that no longer supports range extenders.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
I find that hard to believe as far as wireless range extenders go, or powerline extenders. Now, a second router may not work if you are unable to disable the gateway's.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

maynard581

reply to maynard581
Chatted with a different comcast guy....

I have a SMCD3GNV modem/router. The wireless range is not that good in my house. Can I use this to extend??... »store.comcast.com/universal-wifi···essories

Johanne: yes, you can use this WIFI extender.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to maynard581
There should be a little white reset button on the back. If you press that it for 10 seconds it will reset your router to 'factory default' conditions.

The IP address will be 192.168.1.1 and the username will be and the password will be 1234.

This will allow you to re-setup the device as an access point but be sure to turn off DHCP.

I normally take an Avery label and write the IP address, username and password on it and paste it to the bottom of the device, makes it a bit easier to manage in the future.

link to user manual: »www.winncom.com/pdf/Zyxel_X-550_···uide.pdf
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

maynard581

Can't access the router ,even thru 192.168.1.1

Tried Wan and Lan connections. Browser times out, both Chrome and Firefox.

Been told the firmware in the SMCD3GNV prevents the connection

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
The directions I gave you were for resetting the Zyxel so you could use it as a access point on the other end of the house from the Comcast device. The comcast device will be untouched under this plan.

JUst make sure you set the Zyxel to a static address on the same subnet that the Comcast router is handing out. The comcast is [probably] on 192.168.1.1 so give the Zyxel an address of 192.168.1.2

As others have said, plug the ethernet cable into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the Zyxel NOT the WAN port.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.